what are you selling today?

muscleman

26 minutes ago, rossef2 said:

What made you want to reduce? I see it's down today but not quite sure why.

Risk assets ran on the news that the Fed could or was considering cutting. The same thing occurs almost every time. So the question isn't why it's down, but why it was up? 

57 minutes ago, rossef2 said:

What made you want to reduce? I see it's down today but not quite sure why.

I had a hunch that the Bing ChatAI combo is making some waves. I also read that Google's AI investor day was a bust. Stock was flat when I reduced and then started to tank.

It seems a bit of an overreaction quite frankly.

On 2/8/2023 at 6:13 PM, Spekulatius said:

I had a hunch that the Bing ChatAI combo is making some waves. I also read that Google's AI investor day was a bust. Stock was flat when I reduced and then started to tank.

It seems a bit of an overreaction quite frankly.

It's a good shout, I doubt Bing will make as big an impact as they think but maybe it'll force google to be a bit more efficient.

Been selling some ATCO every day and redploying it.  I don't think it's worth it to wait for the last dividend, but at the same time, I don't want to redeploy it all it once into a position and have it drop on me.  

6 minutes ago, Saluki said:

Been selling some ATCO every day and redploying it.  I don't think it's worth it to wait for the last dividend, but at the same time, I don't want to redeploy it all it once into a position and have it drop on me.  

That was me 4 months ago!

1 hour ago, John Hjorth said:

Sold all BAM shares today [all out], to buy BN using the proceeds + liquidity].

I did this right after the spin-off and then bought back the BAM shares at $27. If this was in a tax advantages account I would do it again, but don’t want to pay short term gains. 

• 2 weeks later...

So it seems it’s true people like to post what they are buying but not what they are selling 🙂

I will be surprised if nobody is selling during the last few days.

I got scared so I sold bunch of my smaller positions to reduce my margin balance close to 0. Specifically I sold out ATVI and all my bank related stocks. 

2 hours ago, sleepydragon said:

So it seems it’s true people like to post what they are buying but not what they are selling 🙂

I will be surprised if nobody is selling during the last few days.

I got scared so I sold bunch of my smaller positions to reduce my margin balance close to 0. Specifically I sold out ATVI and all my bank related stocks. 

Personally I buy a lot more than I sell, and usually sell only for tax losses. Trying to emulate @dealraker more and more in my investment style. 

56 minutes ago, RedLion said:

Personally I buy a lot more than I sell, and usually sell only for tax losses. Trying to emulate @dealraker more and more in my investment style. 

Quick trading, even thinking of it, makes me a nervous wreck and steals my mind from any quality of life.  One of my favorite Munger quotes and I giggle every time I read it:

Munger: "Sandy Gottesman created one of my favorite risk control examples. One day he fired an associate. The man said, “How can you be firing me when I’m such an important producer?” And Sandy said, “Yes,” he says. “But I’m a rich old man and you make me nervous.”

Same here, I sold maybe 2-3 stocks in 2022 and when I did, I typically sold it in exchange for something else which I mentioned in the "what are you buying today" thread.

Also I don't pay capital gains taxes in my country so I have no need for tax loss selling.

But in full disclosure: sold AGEAS in exchange for TFC.

Edited by Paarslaars

Sold my interest rate hedge PFIX which strangely has hardly moved in price even since rates came tumbling down. I feel reasonably confident that long-rates, which peaked at 4.25%, have seen the top. Even if they revisit that range, the upside on this hedge isn't huge from here. 

53 minutes ago, CorpRaider said:

I sold some BERK because some outstanding limit orders filled and cash was getting too low.  I feel like Berk below book is coming again anyways.

Curious what you estimate BRK book to be if you think below book is coming, I think we'll probably get a good shot at much more favorable ratio...but I would be surprised to see below book without some significant event/crisis. 

Dont get me wrong, the cheaper BRK gets the happier I am, and I would be ecstatic to see those opportunities..but based on my conservative estimate of book, I think ability to buy below book might be a little optimistic. 

Personally I like to see BRK <$300, but IMO its not in "sexy" territory yet, another $25-$30/share drop before I start getting super excited. Even at todays prices Im estimating P/B (not that its as solid a metric as it used to be) around historical average 1.36...I dont start licking my lips until =< 1.2.