Who Do You Follow and What Are their Circle of Competence?

BG2008

Let's have a little fun 

I follow @Gregmal  @thepupil @realassetsvalue for real estate related topics 

I follow @wabuffo for event driven and on $HQI, dude is smart 

I follow @Parsad James East for Fairfax related topics 

@Packer16 for Telco, distribution themes, interesting business models etc 

Just wondering who do you guys follow here on CoB, on Twitter etc and what would you say their circle of competence is?  

25 minutes ago, Castanza said:

@Castanzafor shit takes and money losing propositions 

Far too many to name. This site is hands down the best collection of investors I have been able to find on the web. Learned a lot from others on here. 

We want names!!! When are we going deer hunting or rucking on the beach here in NYC? 

17 minutes ago, BG2008 said:

We want names!!! When are we going deer hunting or rucking on the beach here in NYC? 

🤣 If you find yourself in BFE PA this Nov the Saturday following Thanksgiving I'll make sure you go home with a cooler full of venison. 

RE @BG2008 @Gregmal @thepupil @Dinar

Macro @wabuffo @changegonnacome @Viking @SharperDingaan

General Ideas

@longterminvestor @gfp @kab60 @KJP @Spekulatius @LearningMachine @Ross812 @Lance (haven't seen post in a while) @Saluki just to name a few. All for generally different reasons. I don't know if Lance ever posted anything other than "What Are You Buying" positions. But every time I looked at them I was like "Damn, that is cheap." Learning Machine is a 10k animal. Spek a no bullshit common sense approach. 

Edited by Castanza

I read everyone's posts on this site.  I follow wabuffo (Bill) on twitter and actually go there every day to see what he has posted - like the newspaper!  I also follow @dirtcheapstocks on twitter to keep up on the ECIP banks.

I also follow mungofitch on the shrewdm.com board and he also has a website that he has only ever made one post at but it called the exact 2022 market bottom so it's a high value per post ratio there - https://mungofitch.com

Oh, and one spot or another, I've been reading dealraker / chompin / charlie / chuck's posts since I was like 20 years old...

Edited by gfp

I wish I had the time to read every post to this board.  I tend to follow certain topics, basically stocks I own or are interested in + some general topics that interest me.  I probably miss a ton of good discussions and ideas in the topics I don't read, but there is only so much time in a day.  My goto link is "activity -> unread content" then I click on the topics of interest.

I have almost entirely stopped following the majority of stuff I once did. Overtime I’ve also kinda found it productive to eliminate people or sources that check the box of “trying to sell you something”…a factor that almost always leads to dishonesty….which given the cesspool of WS lives off that, further reduces the stuff I find valuable. Have never had a Twitter and even when I stumble across a good account, I forget it within a few days or so. Agree with others, wabuffo is a total gift and literally the only account I make a point to check out here and there. Otherwise I pay others to sift through all the sewers for any relevant investment related stuff and even there, the yields are often low.

If I had to make a list of folks who are worthwhile, not total career advancing attention whores, not trying to pump their book, not trying to sell me something, and really just don’t have an agenda period other than to genuinely discuss good investments, this place takes the cake for me. Weirdly enough I’ve found so much value speaking with individual people with skin in the game, who invest their own money even if they are not household names or openly promotional. There’s like a silent army of St Joe shareholders I speak to regularly and it’s awesome. Same with MSG. People who’d never post anywhere but reach out via email or DM. Random, normal folks just looking to chat stocks and knowledgeable enough to be valuable in an exchange of ideas. I’d encourage folks to make contacts like this especially at annual meetings and investor events. I guess I’m just a fan of normal people LOL. Otherwise, I used to really enjoy Nat Stewart on Seeking Alpha but I think he stopped writing. Dude just got the entire equation when it came to investing. Kuppy is such a good down to earth dude who gives no fucks about all the usual nonsense. BG2008 is like the most honest, non salesman fund guy I’ve talked to, so I enjoy the fund letters out of his shop, and as mentioned above, from someone who gives zero shits about the macro junk, I still find @wabuffoto be a treasure.

If I may add a word about Wabuffo.

On the old yahoo finance BRK site (Chuck's Angels?) we'd have an annual stock-picking contest. Of course he came up with the most eclectic, interesting stuff. I recall a tiny BK liquidation play where he calculated the inventory, concluded it was legit, and basically bought like $2.50 in distributions for $1. It was kind of jaw-dropping to a newb like me. Of course he killed it in that contest, and he's just kept dropping gems ( macro and stocks ) on us ever since.

I think he's a little uncomfortable with accolades, so I'll stop there.

GFP was there too. Another tireless contributor for a very long time.

I also thank the prominent posters named above. This site is pure gold.

Edited by Libs

I always pay special attention to @wabuffo@Parsad, and @ERICOPOLY.  Eric hasn't posted seriously in a while, but go back in the archives and read his option/warrant plays on BAC and I owe a good chunk of my NW to him. For ideas I drill through ownership filings on TIKR. I make a game out of looking at high conviction positions for minor funds and reverse engineering their position. Going through their previous wins and losses gives me a pretty good idea of their game plan. 

I also hold a lot of the popular stocks mentioned on COBF because you all make it so damn easy to keep up with stuff. Shout out to @Gregmal for some great RE ideas (APTS), though I'm still not convinced about JOE.  

On 3/2/2023 at 3:08 PM, Ross812 said:

I always pay special attention to @wabuffo@Parsad, and @ERICOPOLY.  Eric hasn't posted seriously in a while, but go back in the archives and read his option/warrant plays on BAC and I owe a good chunk of my NW to him. For ideas I drill through ownership filings on TIKR. I make a game out of looking at high conviction positions for minor funds and reverse engineering their position. Going through their previous wins and losses gives me a pretty good idea of their game plan. 

I also hold a lot of the popular stocks mentioned on COBF because you all make it so damn easy to keep up with stuff. Shout out to @Gregmal for some great RE ideas (APTS), though I'm still not convinced about JOE.  

That thread is the last one I would say that I really focused my efforts on.  Since that time, I sort of checked out of investing actively for maybe 5 years and trying to get back into it...  I just haven't had the passion I once did and it has been refocused to other areas of my life.

2 hours ago, ERICOPOLY said:

That thread is the last one I would say that I really focused my efforts on.  Since that time, I sort of checked out of investing actively for maybe 5 years and trying to get back into it...  I just haven't had the passion I once did and it has been refocused to other areas of my life.

That may be a good thing!  Many of us remain too focused on investing.  🙂

Personally, I read pretty much everyone...but follow no one!  I once tried to follow Seth Klarman and learned my lesson pretty quickly.  So I learned to take in information from everyone, but make decisions completely on my own.  

Cheers and thank you to everyone on here for all you contribute!  Had coffee with Viking today for 3 hours...in person...what a wonderful guy!  Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

I have been mostly a silent observer on this forum. Have gained immensely mostly from the diversity of content in the forum from various members. In previous years, my top followers had been Liberty, Ericopoly, Packer16. More recently it is definitely dealraker with the wisdom. And otherwise it is Gregmal, Parsad, Spek, Viking, Sharper, gfp, valuebo, and many others as well. Thank you very much to all. 

a little off topic and on a tangent....but starting to admire the ones that have "made it" and walked away. I find especially there's a calmness to them and this extends to not having an opinion on everything. For me personally, even though I am not "young" by any stretch of the imagination, if I can get to that I would I would consider myself "made".