what are you selling today?

muscleman

This gets clunky. Losses on your investments are first offset by the gains of the same type (so short-term to short-term and long-term to long-term). After that net losses are deducted against the opposite gain.

If you have a long-term loss and want to manage your tax position, you are better off selling short-term gainers (i think you call this high tax basis). This assumes that you have no long-term gainers that you sold. You can sell a short-term gainer and buy it for 1 penny higher and you are clear of wash rules. 

1 hour ago, sleepydragon said:

I have feelings too, the stock hurts me too much. got to cut loss and end the relationship

Sometimes energy loss because of these "thesis drift" situations just isn't worth it. It is pity stock doesn't cares or know how you fell though:)

Edited by UK

20 hours ago, lnofeisone said:

ATVI options are weirdly priced. Take a look at 92.5/95 box. No risk and the same pay off as the 90s you are trading. 

Tried to sell 1 October box at the bid ($2.67), unsurprisingly wasn't filled as a spread trade. Don't feel like legging in. Also, the short $95 put would likely be assigned early, which is a lot of margin for making $17 before commissions.

21 hours ago, backtothebeach said:

Tried to sell 1 October box at the bid ($2.67), unsurprisingly wasn't filled as a spread trade. Don't feel like legging in. Also, the short $95 put would likely be assigned early, which is a lot of margin for making $17 before commissions.

Yeah, entering these is a pain and I usually do it via verticals. I've had 95 put for a bit now, no assignment yet. 

• 2 weeks later...