what are you selling today?

muscleman

On 6/8/2023 at 4:14 PM, Spekulatius said:

Sold ONEX.  It was a small position and recent result make me think that lack of progress in getting scale in asset management make this likely a value trap.

The dual class shares are going away in a few years. Which makes Onex a likely hostile target if they cannot bring up their share price.

They have recently being selling some investment to ramp-up repurchases. I am staying put for now. 

11 hours ago, Xerxes said:

The dual class shares are going away in a few years. Which makes Onex a likely hostile target if they cannot bring up their share price.

They have recently being selling some investment to ramp-up repurchases. I am staying put for now. 

Thx. I was not aware of the change in share structure and that is good to know and might be a catalyst. Onex is certainly cheap, but I wonder how good of a business it really is. I think they likely end up getting acquired at some point down the road, if the owners allow it

17 hours ago, linus_md said:

Why did you sell POAHY?

my account is using margin, so I am looking for names to sell. On POAHY I have bought twice, overall I lost money. The rational behind buying POAHY were: 1. NAV discount, and 2. Porsche is almost like Ferrari, and 3. valuation of VW is cheap.  For 1, it doesn't seem it's closing soon. The family doesn't seem that motivated, otherwise, they would be buying back aggressively. For 2, I am having second thought on whether Porsche is like a Ferrari or just premium car like BMW. I think the distinction is if Porsche needs to keep investing to upgrade its car. Ferrari doesn't need to do that much. For 3, VW 's valuation has been forever cheap, and they have a lot of exposure to Chinese economy which is a mess now.

I sold my META position recently. Bought it on the way down last year at various price points. Generated a nice gain but I ultimately sold largely because I just don't have any insight into the metaverse thing and the equity is a lot less cheap on a fundamental basis. 

Sold about 10% of my NETI shares in my retirement account (It's up 30% in a few months based on a merger agreement) and while I still think it has room to compound, there is other stuff that is cheap now. Redeployed it to OXY, PXD and STNG. 

OXY is below the price that Uncle Warren is buying, and PXD also has a lot of Permian assets like OXY, and is a similar market cap, but no one is looking at it. Weird.  I've written about STNG in another thread.  

I hope I'm right about my oil basket, but I can't think of a better short term vs long term thesis than buying oil stocks when they are beaten up now. Biden still hasn't refilled the Strategic Petroleum Reserve, the majors are buying back stock instead of digging more wells, OPEC cut production, Russia can't get western tech to improve production, and every major shale basin except the Permian is producing less than they did before because the well production in fracks is front loaded. 

I had my finger on sell button on META and SWBI in my retirement account today but I couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger.  I may sell META next week but I think now that Cathy Woods is in it and people are bullish about the Twitter Clone, there is going to a retail investor pop before it reverses.  SWBI is not expensive, but it will take a while for the new factory to get finished, and I feel like Mr Market is puking up some good stuff in energy lately. 

1 minute ago, Saluki said:

Sold about 10% of my NETI shares in my retirement account (It's up 30% in a few months based on a merger agreement) and while I still think it has room to compound, there is other stuff that is cheap now. Redeployed it to OXY, PXD and STNG. 

OXY is below the price that Uncle Warren is buying, and PXD also has a lot of Permian assets like OXY, and is a similar market cap, but no one is looking at it. Weird.  I've written about STNG in another thread.  

I hope I'm right about my oil basket, but I can't think of a better short term vs long term thesis than buying oil stocks when they are beaten up now. Biden still hasn't refilled the Strategic Petroleum Reserve, the majors are buying back stock instead of digging more wells, OPEC cut production, Russia can't get western tech to improve production, and every major shale basin except the Permian is producing less than they did before because the well production in fracks is front loaded. 

I had my finger on sell button on META and SWBI in my retirement account today but I couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger.  I may sell META next week but I think now that Cathy Woods is in it and people are bullish about the Twitter Clone, there is going to a retail investor pop before it reverses.  SWBI is not expensive, but it will take a while for the new factory to get finished, and I feel like Mr Market is puking up some good stuff in energy lately. 

I feel that Pioneer is more advance than Occidental in its “capital return” program, with its variable dividend on top of base-dividend. 

For now Occidental is still in de-leveraging mode with the preferred. If we can call it de-leveraging. 

While that is true, I prefer OXY due to it's lower dividend and more focus on deleveraging & buybacks. I get taxed on my dividends but not capital gains on stocks, so OXY is more tax friendly for me.

On top of that, Uncle Warren has pretty much put a floor on the stock price...

Sold some things today I wish I didn't have to, but I'm raising money for a large private real estate transaction by selling things that are non-marginable where I have a loss or not a terribly large gain. 

So I let CLPR go in its entirety, I believe in this name, but so far I haven't managed to harvest anything from it other than some short term tax losses. I still think this is good value, but this is one of my few loss positions and non-marginable, so it had to go. Century lithium a small legacy position I let go at a loss. And CI options I sold for a moderate short term profit (offset by CLPR anyway).