what are you selling today?

muscleman

On 4/13/2023 at 8:04 PM, Dinar said:

I agree with you.  Pre KSU acquisition, CNR had the best track network, post KSU deal, CP has the better network.  Post KSU deal, I think synergies are going to be much higher than Creel promised, and once they are captured, volume growth will be much higher than at CNR due to Mexico.  I also think CP's management - Keith Creel is better than the management at CNR.  

What do you think of Falcon premium intermodal service? 

https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/cn-gmxt-announce-transformational-mexico-200400401.html

54 minutes ago, ourkid8 said:

What do you think of Falcon premium intermodal service? 

https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/cn-gmxt-announce-transformational-mexico-200400401.html

Nothing.   You can announce whatever you want, but making it work is not easy.  If it was so easy and such a winner, why didn't they do it a year or two or three ago?  Also, interesting - connection in Chicago.  This is the biggest bottleneck, and every railroad tries to avoid it.  I think a year or two ago, CN bragged that thanks to an acquisition done I believe during Hunter Harrison's tenure, they could avoid Chicago and save 20+ hours.    So  now they are going through Chicago?  I think that this is a desperate attempt to try to reduce losses from CP-KSU merger.  The investor day in June will be interesting.  

2 hours ago, Dinar said:

Nothing.   You can announce whatever you want, but making it work is not easy.  If it was so easy and such a winner, why didn't they do it a year or two or three ago?  Also, interesting - connection in Chicago.  This is the biggest bottleneck, and every railroad tries to avoid it.  I think a year or two ago, CN bragged that thanks to an acquisition done I believe during Hunter Harrison's tenure, they could avoid Chicago and save 20+ hours.    So  now they are going through Chicago?  I think that this is a desperate attempt to try to reduce losses from CP-KSU merger.  The investor day in June will be interesting.  

Agreed, investor day will be interesting. This deal is mainly to try and close the competitive advantage CPKC has with their acquisition. I’ll validate timings of shipping a container from Mexico to Toronto with CN Vs CP. I bet with this partnership it is very close. EJ&E is the Chicago bypass and this service will be leveraging it.  This is a significant competitive advantage no one gives HH / CN credit for. 

This is not new! They did have a similar EMP partnership with CP however due to the acquisition they kicked CP out and extending it to CN. 

Edited by ourkid8

Wanted badly to sell AMZN today, but there's just one problem...I don't own Amazon.  So...

Sold MSFT today.  Had bought this stock in the later Balmer years when the business was doing fine but not the stock.  I think the PE was 12 when we bought the stock, it was investor depression all around.

I'll bet that within 5 years MSFT will carry a PE of 15 or less.  Yep, that's my view.  I know-I know, the belief is that the cloud hyper-growth is now and forevermore.  Isn't it always that way for some segments?

Buying some land across the road from our lakehouse with these sales.  The reason mostly is to thwart a housing development but also to enlarge what we already own which has 2 miles of trails on it.  Several in the neighborhood with our permission walk there with us.  

The land is just south of this/these track(s) which is/are also for sale:

https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/857-Fisher-Farm-Rd-Lexington-NC/26595834/

Edited by dealraker

1 hour ago, dealraker said:

... The reason mostly is to thwart a housing development but also to enlarge what we already own which has 2 miles of trails on it.  Several in the neighborhood with our permission walk there with us.  ...

The reason is likely not any longer cool [?] [or cold?] business, from the description. But likely based on personal percepition of what's rational. It's a choice we all have, [, it we can afford it] - Those who can pay, do not need to ask anybody about anything.

16 hours ago, dealraker said:

Sold MSFT today.  Had bought this stock in the later Balmer years when the business was doing fine but not the stock.  I think the PE was 12 when we bought the stock, it was investor depression all around.

I'll bet that within 5 years MSFT will carry a PE of 15 or less.  Yep, that's my view.  I know-I know, the belief is that the cloud hyper-growth is now and forevermore.  Isn't it always that way for some segments?

Same here. I seem to recall buying at 8x EV/growing FCF when investors were only focussed on what could go wrong. How things change. I plan to hold for a long time yet - I think it is basically a deep-moat royalty on enterprise IT spend, which has a long way to go - but multiple compression does worry me and I have reduced the position.

1 hour ago, Spekulatius said:

LSXMK at a loss.

Consider my thesis broken.

What changed?

Sold out of MSGE completely today. What a successful trade!

I bought at $47 a few months ago, it went up to $61 by the time of the spin so +30%. Then I was able to frontrun people in selling the Sphere and buying the Garden early the day of the spin thanks to Interactive Brokers being on top of their game and made a quick +13% on those shares in a matter of 2-3 weeks.

I believe there is more upside to the stock and the Garden is one of those absolute top tier quality assets you could hold on for life and do very well but unfortunately in my opinion Dolan is a narcissistic crook and a nepo baby so I'm not comfortable being in business with him long term.

A giant THANK YOU to @Gregmal for the idea and to everyone who contributed to the thread with both positive and negative opinions.

Sold out of TIGO (Millicom) today at a loss of about 25% over four years. I started buying in 2019 at $50 and averaged down significantly to a $24 average share price. It went down all the way to $11 then back up to $20 recently thanks to Apollo and Atlas fighting over it. There was a lot to like but oh my goodness did the thesis go wrong! Learned a lot. Q1 was very disappointing and I finally had too much. It's not even about the business anymore it's about guessing secret transactions between big players : towers spin, tigo money spin, the corrupt muni of Medellin, Claure/Apollo vs Niels/Atlas ... and deciding on all of these for us is a management that has just proven it's ready to throw the minority shareholders under the bus for their own benefit... There is tremendous value to be realized but I felt like a sardine waiting to see which shark is going to eat it for dinner.

Edited by WayWardCloud

@WayWardCloud on LSXMK - the results from SIRI were worse than expected for two quarters in a row.Q1 2023 was much worse. Managment partly explained this - they pulled back marketing in anticipation of product changes , but I am sceptical that those will turn around subscriber number.

In addition, I bought a car, so I had the opportunity to test the product for free. I am not impressed and think Upgrades in car entertainment systems ( Apple/ Android CarPlay or whatever the manufacturers come up with) make Sirius just another app amongst many others. Just just my personal opinion but of course even that anectode didn’t help my conviction.

Thanks for explaining! I admire your ability to change your mind, thesis creep is one of my main weaknesses. Eagerly awaiting the split between Liberty Sirius and Liberty Live in June to see if the discount is still significant enough to justify rolling my Live Nation position into Liberty Live. They're planning to use the tracker not only to hold the LYV but also to buy and develop venues of their own in collaboration. Could be fun.

Edited by WayWardCloud