What are you buying today?

LowIQinvestor

Do you guys try to diversify between sectors? I find good opportunities in tech (ORCL), but I'm already like 40% in technology....

All my holdings are tech and most of my watchlist is tech. I'm sticking with what I know  :P

NBG - just 'cause we like the whiff of tear gas -  & have hedge proceeds that we need to deploy. There is still some room to run, but it is event driven - not a buy and hold.   

Re disclosure. We added a significant weighting at < $3.00, so today was a very good day  ;)

http://www.independent.ie/business/world/greece-given-68bn-lifeline-but-warned-to-push-through-controversial-reforms-29404259.html

SD

Green - no I'm not following Walter, but I took a quick look and it merits some further study. They passed up on refinancing some debt and the stock took a hit. I've been seeing more optimistic reports on coal use including power generation and steel production, but definitely early in the turn. However that's also the time to find some opportunities. Time to start kicking the tires.

• 1 month later...

Time for a bump. There is state sponsored genocide in the ME, western retaliation, India's currency is sinking. May there be many buying opportunities ahead.

My watchlist:

If REED drops a lot, I will buy more.

Studying a position in PHI. Looks cheap

Ditto for ORCL

Adding more to AAPL if it drops below 450

Adding more to RHT if it drops below 46

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a little more MBI today.  It is back to levels not seen since the settlement with BAC.  Upside seems substantial and it seems a considerably better bargain than most else out there.

I started following it again too, but haven't invested back in the company yet. The difference now vs then in my mind is Brown's lack of financial incentive to rebuild the company compared to what his previous incentives were...but yes it is cheap on a fundamental basis.

Constructive, I have been a long time holder of MIL (MFC Industrial).  Can you expound on your particular reasons for holding it. I am using it as an inflation hedge, a distressed buyer of commodities, and as a book value investment. It seems this will play out but will take a while.

Thanks.

Constructive, I have been a long time holder of MIL (MFC Industrial).  Can you expound on your particular reasons for holding it. I am using it as an inflation hedge, a distressed buyer of commodities, and as a book value investment. It seems this will play out but will take a while.

Thanks.

I like it because it has a conservative, cash-heavy balance sheet, combined with a solid earnings platform. I think the balance sheet supports an asymmetric risk-return probability. Which I think is particularly important when considering the current valuation of the market.

I own GLW and TPCA, and may buy FTP.TO soon, because they are similarly cash heavy. But most of my portfolio is earnings driven rather than balance sheet driven.

Michael Smith's presentations and conference calls are also persuasive about the plan to increase ROE.

Guest hellsten

Glacier Media (GVC) on the TSX.

Market cap ~$100 million. FCF/year ~$20-30 million since 2006 while revenue has almost doubled.

McElvaine sold -33.33% recently. Any reason why, he's been a shareholder for ever?

Madison Venture Corporation is also selling.

Montrusco Bolton Investments Inc. and Franklin Templeton buying…

Chou Associates still own GVC.

Maybe I should have a closer look at GVC?

GLUX - Great Lakes Aviation

VIC and OTC adventures were the sources of the idea.

http://otcadventures.com/?p=495

http://www.valueinvestorsclub.com/value2/Idea/ViewIdea/97245

38MM of tangible equity, comprised of relatively liquid assets (current assets and planes) against a 10.5MM market cap.

Priced for bankruptcy and maybe that happens. I just see it as a never expiring option that pays 3-4:1  in the event they start making money again, pay down their somewhat usurious financing and the EAS program doesn't get axed.

Only a 2% position because of the risks but I like the risk/reward.

Bought VRX today, 7% position.  My timing is no doubt horrible on this one, with it being up double over past year and 10-fold since 09.  Nevertheless, the more I read on the company the more I feel like I'm reading a case study from "the outsiders".  Their execution has been just incredible and in spite of the huge runup in price, they are still cheap based on next years forecasted earnings.

EDIT: I should also add, thanks to Gio for all the posts on this one.