What are you buying today?

LowIQinvestor

Like I read somewhere from some guy something like this "When the tide goes out you find out who is still wearing swim trunks". The image is one where it might cause some to use that rope.

Then someone also said this which with patience might be an alternative. Buy cheap and something good might happen.

Indeed.  I think that seeing most value investors in their swim trunks (or less) would be extremely distressing.

That someone sounds very wise.  Handsome and charismatic too.

Sold 1/3 of IWM puts, bought back covered calls on NOV (at 70) and CF (at 195)...looking to put those on again at lower strikes, possibly in the money, get called and put to better use.

With the liquidity from the IWM puts, bought my last addition of SD (avg at 5.25 now) and added AAPL, now 2/3 done (avg of 418 now)

In the last couple of weeks we've been buying more cash and more index puts.  Not much upside if the market goes up. but our portfolio could actually increase in value if the market takes a dive because of the quality of our main holdings.  :)

I find myself in almost the same position of twacowfca. And I am doing nothing (except watching Wimbledon and listening to the new Kanye West’s album). :)

giofranchi

In the last couple of weeks we've been buying more cash and more index puts.  Not much upside if the market goes up. but our portfolio could actually increase in value if the market takes a dive because of the quality of our main holdings.  :)

I find myself in almost the same position of twacowfca. And I am doing nothing (except watching Wimbledon and listening to the new Kanye West’s album). :)

giofranchi

Pretty much the same here as well.  I've seen quite a few movies over the last two months...only the last week have I found something to start looking at again.  Also busy with getting the Offshore fund off the ground...will launch August 1st!  I would be watching Wimbledon as well, but my man Nadal went out in the 1st round.  Now I won't watch until the round of 16.

If anyone is looking for a good theatre movie to watch..."This is The End" is very funny...raunchy, juvenile humor, with some great writing.  If you are looking for a good sci-fi film, watch "Looper"...excellent movie, wonderful acting!  Cheers!

If anyone is looking for a good theatre movie to watch..."This is The End" is very funny...raunchy, juvenile humor, with some great writing.  If you are looking for a good sci-fi film, watch "Looper"...excellent movie, wonderful acting!  Cheers!

I haven't watched "This is The End" yet, but I surely agree on "Looper": excellent movie, wonderful acting! :)

giofranchi

I haven't watched "This is The End" yet, but I surely agree on "Looper": excellent movie, wonderful acting! :)

giofranchi

I recently saw The Next 3 Days with Russell Crowe and enjoyed it immensely.  To my knowledge it didn't get any traction in the theaters when it was out and I had never heard of it until recently.  It's a cut above the regular suspense/thriller movie and it's somewhat more "realistic" in the sense that Crowe doesn't play some superman who all of a sudden goes from regular life to taking on bad guys single handedly. 

I recently saw The Next 3 Days with Russell Crowe and enjoyed it immensely.  To my knowledge it didn't get any traction in the theaters when it was out and I had never heard of it until recently.  It's a cut above the regular suspense/thriller movie and it's somewhat more "realistic" in the sense that Crowe doesn't play some superman who all of a sudden goes from regular life to taking on bad guys single handedly.

Yes! Another very good movie, though a remake of a german movie starring Diane Kruger. Haven't seen the original. No need to, because "The Next 3 Days" is just fine! :)

giofranchi

giofranchi

Pretty much the same here as well.  I've seen quite a few movies over the last two months...only the last week have I found something to start looking at again.  Also busy with getting the Offshore fund off the ground...will launch August 1st!  I would be watching Wimbledon as well, but my man Nadal went out in the 1st round.  Now I won't watch until the round of 16.

Steve Darcis sure did great against Nadal. :D We have our fair share of talent in Belgium, at least in tennis.

Great that your offshore fund is launching soon. When can we expect more details?

giofranchi

Steve Darcis sure did great against Nadal. :D We have our fair share of talent in Belgium, at least in tennis.

Great that your offshore fund is launching soon. When can we expect more details?

Next week or so.  Service providers are in place, general partner has been formed and our attorneys just finishing off the offering documents.  Only thing left to do is file everything and open the brokerage account with UBS.  Then we should be good to go in a couple of weeks.  Cheers!

Research In Motion/BlackBerry

I'm also trying to generate more cash to put to the side in case a buying opportunity arises. My average cost on BB right now is $11.

Haven't found anything else outside of EXOR and Henderson Land Development companies (which I think people should look closer at, especially Henderson).

Unfortunately, I have not had any orders filled lately.

I've been trying to buy some more Awilco Drilling.

I've also been trying to buy a mini-conglomerate that has major operations in building products.

I've also been trying to buy a small medical products company.

I've also tried to get an internet/real estate company.

Every company other than Awilco is a Nano-cap.

No luck yet, but perhaps later this week...

I tried to by IPL.UN in the first flash crash in Canada I have seen after it dropped by 1/3rd. it looks like a algo triggered a cascade of stop loss orders as the selling came from many dealers. the TSX halted trading 10 min after opening and when it reopened almost all the drop reversed.

it may no longer be safe to use stop loss orders in Canada. And it demonstrates why banks should not be able to both own the exchanges and conduct algo trading. So now if a computer makes a mistake stocks are halted. instead of protecting computers the regulators should let value investors repair the mistakes of others by providing price discovery.

it may no longer be safe to use stop loss orders in Canada.

It is never safe to use stop loss orders anywhere .. As a smart trader / investor you should be happy with flash crashes because they are an opportunity to get filled at ridiculous prices. Unless you use stop loss orders, in which case you will join the fools and crazy algo's instead of profiting from them.