What are you buying today?

LowIQinvestor

1 minute ago, fareastwarriors said:

I'm here for the party too. 

Just MSGE though 🙂

In an alternative universe I wish there were exit interviews for people selling stock. I dont know anyone who is selling MSGE here, but if I did I'd ask which category they fall into:

I sold a potential multi bagger with virtually no long term downside because:

a) Im scared of covid

b) I'm scared of a temporary ~20% paper loss 

c) I wanted a pureplay with worse economics instead

d) I didnt know what I was doing to begin with

There's really no other category or reason for selling into the current situation. Mr Market is great though. Even in a rich market, always an opportunity somewhere. 

40 minutes ago, Gregmal said:

In an alternative universe I wish there were exit interviews for people selling stock. I dont know anyone who is selling MSGE here, but if I did I'd ask which category they fall into:

a) Im scared of covid

There's really no other category or reason for selling into the current situation. Mr Market is great though. Even in a rich market, always an opportunity somewhere. 

Yea I don't get it. MSGE trades like a damn see-saw when the fundamentals didn't really change all that much.

If this is a COVID thing, There are so many other better lockdowns v reopening plays out there than MSGE...

dafuq?!?

Edited by fareastwarriors

1 hour ago, Gregmal said:

a) Im scared of covid

I bought them when I thought they hosted a professional basketball team, but sold when I found out they didn't, just the Knicks.

Edited by ValueArb
honing the joke wording

1 hour ago, RedLion said:

I sold short AAPL and reinvested the proceeds into BRK.B. On a look through basis I'm still long AAPL through BRK.B, but sold short about 40% of the look through AAPL stake. 

I keep thinking Buffet is going to sell some AAPL and buy back BRK shares.  I'm not sure why he's letting the position get so large.  

3 minutes ago, JRM said:

I keep thinking Buffet is going to sell some AAPL and buy back BRK shares.  I'm not sure why he's letting the position get so large.  

Agreed, he should be as AAPL really appears to be more than fully valued right now.

But if he was selling Apple wouldn't be making new highs every day.

Edited by ValueArb

49 minutes ago, ValueArb said:

I bought them when I thought they hosted a professional basketball team, but sold when I found out they didn't, just the Knicks.

HAHAHAHHAHA  😂

Knicks looked pretty decent last season but the wheels kinda came off this year again. Even as a Warriors fan, I would love to see a competitive Knicks team.

I think part of Buffetts' evolution of the years has been with respect to valuation. If you paid too close attention to valuation you've basically missed most of this bull market. The metrics the market is moving to largely evade folks until they are obvious in hind site, AKA Amazon, Google, etc. I would imagine AAPL aint going nowhere in the BRK portfolio anytime soon. Nor should it. He trimmed last year and said it was a mistake, and exited Costco in the mid/high 300s which now looks dumb. You've got all the cash you need for buybacks elsewhere. Ive sold some of my BRK to buy DIS but still have it as one of my bigger positions. Top 5 for sure. If I was holding any cash I'd just throw it all in Berkshire without losing an ounce of sleep at night. The key is to just let it be and let them play the long game. 

Just not seeing any pound the table buys in terms of the high-quality / Buffet type of buys. 

Honestly the sell off at the beginning of the year was more exciting (in hindsight), you had quality names like Costco down almost 20%, now it's all the non-profitable companies who are down 50% but they are so hard to value so who really knows.

Tough trading environment. Doesn't help that it feels a lot like Q42018 in the sense there's no liquidity. Names like PTON and ROKU (I saw a -10% print) getting smoked. 

While it feels like Q42018, it really isn't, because quality names like Costco is still up +49% YTD, Microsoft is +53% YTD.  

Edited by Simba

11 minutes ago, fareastwarriors said:

HAHAHAHHAHA  😂

Knicks looked pretty decent last season but the wheels kinda came off this year again. Even as a Warriors fan, I would love to see a competitive Knicks team.

I've always had a soft spot for Knicks since the Van Gundy days, loved John Starks and Patrick Ewing. But I must admit I also love busting Knicks fan's balls.

32 minutes ago, Gregmal said:

I think part of Buffetts' evolution of the years has been with respect to valuation. If you paid too close attention to valuation you've basically missed most of this bull market. The metrics the market is moving to largely evade folks until they are obvious in hind site, AKA Amazon, Google, etc. I would imagine AAPL aint going nowhere in the BRK portfolio anytime soon. Nor should it. He trimmed last year and said it was a mistake, and exited Costco in the mid/high 300s which now looks dumb. You've got all the cash you need for buybacks elsewhere. Ive sold some of my BRK to buy DIS but still have it as one of my bigger positions. Top 5 for sure. If I was holding any cash I'd just throw it all in Berkshire without losing an ounce of sleep at night. The key is to just let it be and let them play the long game. 

But there still has to be a price he'd sell AAPL at, right? He was kicking himself for selling in the low $120s IIRC, now it's $179 barely over a year later. If his IV was $130 or so last year it can't be much more than $150 this year.

Edited by ValueArb
better ranges for what he's likely thinking

Just now, Gregmal said:

No idea lol. I just think Warren probably might have 99 problems with cash certainly not being one. And if he views AAPL as a big part of the BRK universe I would be shocked to see him sell anything material 

Agree. What's the point of locking in gains on say ~5% of the AAPL holdings if it causes the remaining 95% to drop 5%+ in market value? 

54 minutes ago, JRM said:

I basically decided to jump the gun and do it for him, at least that was my theory. Increased my Berkshire stake by almost 10% this way, I'm tempted to hedge the full position and plow it all back into Berkshire shares, but I'm a short selling neophyte and have seen a lot of positions blow up (e.g. the never ending Einhorn train wreck or Bill Ackman with Herbalife). 

I thought this would be a good way to test the waters without hopefully incurring any huge losses. This is a strategy I've frequently thought about using with my heavily overweight BAM position, short the subs and stay long the asset manager, but haven't pulled the trigger yet. 

3 hours ago, formthirteen said:

Tried to buy more ASC.L and BOO.L during today's crash. However, IBKR was as slow as usual to fill orders on the London Stock Exchange so I seem to have missed the party. Has anyone else noticed the same problem with IBKR?

How you sizing boohoo & asos in the portfolio? 

a bit late to the party, but retook a small position in BABA at 2%. After quite a long deliberation I decided to like it at usd 120. Even if domestic e-commerce profitability is going to be less, low multiple, growth plus other parts of the business should provide enough return (cloud, payments, international, other services).

Third time lucky I hope...

I don't see Buffett selling Apple, but then again he's done some dumb things in the past couple years, mainly selling WFC and COST. The WFC sell at over a decade low was just ridiculous. Normally I don't bet against Buffett but I bought up a whole bunch of Wells right when he was selling.

As far as table pounding buys, who knows, maybe Charlie will convince him to invest in China? ATT might be a table pounding buy...