What are you buying today?

LowIQinvestor

3 hours ago, gfp said:

$100 USD on treasury direct

Thanks.  For some reason I thought it was much higher.

2 hours ago, RedLion said:

If you buy through a brokerage it’s usually $1,000 face amount. I’m not a big fan of treasury direct except I bonds, I use Schwab but I know fidelity and Ameritrade also have commission free trades on treasuries. 

I'm on Schwab, will check it out.

I thought it was 1 million minimum buy for some reason.

Edited by Sweet

7 minutes ago, Sweet said:

Thanks.  For some reason I thought it was much higher.

I'm on Schwab, will check it out.

I thought it was 1 million minimum buy for some reason.

I think that $1 million thing was certain kinds of bonds that people like Salomon would bid for and then break them up into smaller units and sell to their clients. If I recall from Buffett's involvement in the scandal, there were only certain firms that were allowed to bid and Salomon was the biggest. 

On treasury direct, retail people can buy them directly in smaller lots.  I know that for the inflations bonds (I Bonds) the minimum is $25 and the max is $10k per person per year.  I don't know what the min/limit is for other ones. 

$1 million minimum!  That would be bonkers.  Since short term T-bills are purchased at a discount like zero coupon bonds the minimums are actually little bit lower still...  .98-.99 on the dollar vs face value

1 hour ago, Ross812 said:

I bought some LUV and 1-yr T-Bills yielding 5.2%. The minimum at FIDO is $1K and no transaction fee. At IB there is a $5 TF and $1K minimum. 

How did you get 5.2%?  What is the CUSIP and what price did you pay?

How do you guys feel about floating rate treasuries? Current yield is just over 5% and they can float upward if rates rise. Never really looked into them before but they seem like they should offer the highest yield unless you assume there will be substantial rate cuts within two years.

11 hours ago, aws said:

How do you guys feel about floating rate treasuries? Current yield is just over 5% and they can float upward if rates rise. Never really looked into them before but they seem like they should offer the highest yield unless you assume there will be substantial rate cuts within two years.

I own Canadian floats via ETf. Yield around 4%, maybe a touch higher. It's where I keep some cash buffer.  Not exciting but decent safe spot. 

14 hours ago, aws said:

Are you referring to just rolling short term t bills? Or is there an actual floating rate treasury security?? I’ve been rolling them since 3 months rates hit 3% commission free, so this has the effect of a floating rate. 

2 hours ago, texual said:

Floating Rate Notes — TreasuryDirect

I hope this helps. I did purchase this in a small amount just to have an alternative to the i-bond, and a variety of short duration paper as part of a cash strategy over the next 6 months. 

Great info don’t know how I hadn’t heard of these. Seems comparable to rolling t bills but less work. 

Messing with Angela's parents trust money again a couple of days ago.  I know, I know...a few here who I totally respect are thinking "not too smart dealraker"--- but for me old habits are hard to break.

03/02/2023 Buy 100  LOWPopup LOWES COMPANIES INC @ $194.3561 -$19,435.61

Following a significant inflow (yay!!!) I bought 10% OTM calls on $ZROZ and $VT because I don’t have many high conviction ideas at this time and just want to cover myself in case of a big stock/duration rally. 

I am posting this in case anyone else is feeling dumb or out of ideas or timid. Maybe just park in t-bills like everyone and their brother is talking about, but also maybe consider that you may be wrong and consider capping your opportunity cost. This will obviously cost $. 

11 minutes ago, thepupil said:

Following a significant inflow (yay!!!) I bought 10% OTM calls on $ZROZ and $VT because I don’t have many high conviction ideas at this time and just want to cover myself in case of a big stock/duration rally. 

I am posting this in case anyone else is feeling dumb or out of ideas or timid. Maybe just park in t-bills like everyone and their brother is talking about, but also maybe consider that you may be wrong and consider capping your opportunity cost. This will obviously cost $. 

Welcome to the club. I’ve been toggling with attempting to determine whether I’m just really lazy or simply not finding anything but for the past couple months I haven’t really found much worth doing. Your bonds are my INDT, MANU and RFPs. Today threw some ATVI on the list. But generally speaking, pretty bored right now.

17 minutes ago, thepupil said:

Why don't you go long PM?

15 hours ago, Gregmal said:

Welcome to the club. I’ve been toggling with attempting to determine whether I’m just really lazy or simply not finding anything but for the past couple months I haven’t really found much worth doing. Your bonds are my INDT, MANU and RFPs. Today threw some ATVI on the list. But generally speaking, pretty bored right now.

I almost bought some ATVI this week.  I've recently decided I like LUV (edit: nothing special here just recycling the WEB analysis of ~15% earnings yield and due to industry structure, likely to grow over time; only update is that I think covid/zoom impacts clearing up and the stress maybe even firmed up the view that the industry is a real solid oligopoly, with a bit further consolidation on the come) and have been thinking about some GE or K leaps.  Almost certainly beyond my depth there.  

Edited by CorpRaider

21 minutes ago, CorpRaider said:

I almost bought some ATVI this week.  I've recently decided I like LUV and have been thinking about some GE or K leaps.  Almost certainly beyond my depth there.  

Yea Im semi allergic to the large caps but still hold out hope Ill find a decent one soon. Cant Costco just go to $350 already?

17 hours ago, Gregmal said:

I am posting this in case anyone else is feeling dumb or out of ideas or timid.

Same. I don't really have any high conviction ideas. Been slowly adding more of a value tilt to my portfolio with some emerging markets, bank stocks, GVLU, BRK as well as sitting on more cash than usual waiting for something good to come along.