What are you buying today?

LowIQinvestor

Added a little VTS and OXY.  When I think of worst case scenario 1970s stagflation, I think owning real assets, including oil is the best of the worst scenarios.  Taxing windfall profits from energy producers isn't incentivizing anyone to look for new capacity so the existing capacity should be worth more. 

Bought some GLOP and TBPH. TBPH has some activists involved; cash, CVRs and stake in key drug Yupelri more than covers the stock price. New drug Ampre now in phase 3 could easily be worth >$5/share even on pretty conservative assumptions. Business is trimming down staff, shutting majority of their research programs and returning capital to shareholders with a planned 170m to be returned by end of this year which should add about 10% on top of the total value of the firm.

Irenic capital writing that letter was probably trying to highlight where Wally is rather than admonish management; don't see why some larger firm doesn't offer a quick premium to the extant stock price and take the remaining upside for free.

Edited by n.r98

Bought BAC, C, CMA and ZION, but mostly BAC.  Currently in oil, tobacco and now financials.  Praying for another 15-20% market selloff as I'm around 60% cash after spending all last year 100% cash.  One more leg down and I will be all set for the next 3-5 years with some nice dividends as the icing on top.

34 minutes ago, sleepydragon said:

this is crazy. What does a cryto bank going bust has to do with JPM?!

Perhaps we are starting to see the effects of rapid Fed tightening just starting to play out. The initial cracks. Give it another 6 months; especially if interest rates go higher.

Investors have been living a Disney movie for the past 13 years - the Fed ALWAYS had their back. As a result, all financial assets (housing, stocks, bonds) were a one way bet… much higher.

Most investors think their stellar returns over the past decade were the result of skill. 2022 was a terrible year for most investors. 2023? Probably more of the same.

image.thumb.jpeg.df581c0ba8b7f8b08059c3da4424ec37.jpeg

Edited by Viking

13 minutes ago, Spekulatius said:

It's not just the Bank of the Crypt, its also this SillyCon bank that spooked a bit:

image.png.9446b4bcec161d98213f4d9ea69997bb.png

SPAC lender (based in tech land - San Francisco). What a surprise! Lots more cockroaches out there. Anyone who has a large amount of debt either variable rate or coming due the next year or two is going to have their come to Jesus moment. Commercial real estate? REIT’s? Lots of companies are praying the Fed cuts rates and soon. Hope is not a good strategy. A decade of deals (and whole industries) were build on the assumption of free money. That ship has sailed. Perhaps we see credit spreads start to widen out…

Edited by Viking

14 minutes ago, Viking said:

SPAC lender. What a surprise!

It's not lending that did them in, it's liability management. These guys take deposits from the SillyCon valley VC bubble economy which have been  fleeting, I think. They put those into treasuries that are deeply under water and then decided that they need to sell part of the treasury holding and realize losses.

These idiots managed to own $120B in fixed income securities with an $16B equity base.

Edited by Spekulatius

Finished building out a position in Nintendo (7974). Valuation seems reasonable and they have a few potential catalysts for success in the next couple of years, but happy to hold for the long term if there's no imminent re-rating.

Edited by Mick92

3 hours ago, Mick92 said:

Finished building out a position in Nintendo (7974). Valuation seems reasonable and they have a few potential catalysts for success in the next couple of years, but happy to hold for the long term if there's no imminent re-rating.

I'm with you.

17 hours ago, dipod said:

Bought C, ZION, BAC, WFC today. NVDA September puts a few weeks ago. 

@dipod - what is your take at $ZION. they also got a bunch of AFS securities and moved a large bunch to HTM ( yellow flag). They also have seen a huge bump in deposits in 2020 and have seen some of them disspear. the bank is very cheap, if they can hold on to their security portfolio and they seem to have very low cost deposits, but there are definitely reasons why some investors are concerned, based on a preliminary look.

Edit - i just saw that they also drawn ~$10B from federal funds already, so they are definitly liquidity constraint. those Federal funds loans are quite expensive and might lead to negative carry relative to their securities.

image.thumb.png.092cf55c195ce0b1532b9744a77c7949.png

Edited by Spekulatius

Added BAC.  The deposits at BAC should be quite sticky, and if the events at Silicon Valley Bank and Silvergate scares people, I would venture a flight to safety towards the big banks like JPM, BAC and WFC will occur.  

If we starts to see it spreading, and impacting the big banks (too big to fail anyone?)  I would venture the government will step in like it always do.