what are you selling today?

muscleman

8 hours ago, Spekulatius said:

Sold $PAYC yesterday AH after earnings were announced. Huge downwards guidance. Painful. Was a small position since I liked the company, but valuation was a stretch and needed growth to continue at good clip and it didn't.

What happened here? Was it missed growth expectation? 

2 hours ago, lnofeisone said:

What happened here? Was it missed growth expectation? 

Yes, lousy guidance. Growth went from 22% to forecasted 10-12%. That growth is not enough to sustain the valuation.

Had a small position in this because I liked the company, but the valuation was high. No margin of safety in that one. Sold it when I skimmed the press release yesterday AH. That said, I will evaluate in a month after the wash sale period is over.

Sold off all of the preferred shares that I bought a few months back. These are short term gains but I have places I’m more excited to invest. Sold a big chunk of Vno preferred for a 40% gain in about half a year. Also sold agnc and Ritm preferreds for around 15-20% gains. 

This puts me back to 3% cash and off margin for the moment. 

Santander Mexico… finally. This one was way more of a struggle than I expected. Long story short Santander took their Mexican subsidiary listing private, which gave shareholders the right, but not the obligation to sell their shares back to the bank within a 6 month window of the date they took it private. In the few days leading up to the delisting, the shares sold off hard, falling as much as 20% below the buyback price. I scooped up the majority of the trading volume in the final days, thinking this was a no brainer flip. Turns out it is way more complicated for a foreigner to sell shares than I expected. I needed to engage costly lawyers and a Mexican accountant, as well as wait for months to get my broker to actually follow through on the steps needed to take advantage of the buyback offer. In the end I sold the shares just days before the offer closed. A very nice profit, but an experience I never wish to repeat.

Trimmed a little SWBI in my retirement account.  I'll wait a full year to decide if I want to sell the shares in my taxable account. I think it's got long-term potential for compounding now that the new factory/headquarters is up and running and that capex is behind them, but I also think that a lot of the price appreciation in the past month is due to what's going on in Israel and fear/uncertainty/doubt about the current administration and gun control. 

Sold most most of the small position I had in VSTO.  It's still cheap but they are no longer doing a spinoff and they sold the part of the business that I was interested in, so the thesis changed.