what are you selling today?

muscleman

10 hours ago, RedLion said:

I've been thinking of letting go in my retirement account. I was fortunate enough to build a pretty big position with a cost basis just under $12 not very long ago at all, sometimes we get lucky on timing. But now I'm waiting around for 10 months until I have a long term gain. 

I sold after getting +20% returns in about two months. There are better quality companies and safer bets around. I sometimes trade shitcos and was lucky this time. I know I shouldn't do it, but can't help myself.

2 minutes ago, Whensthepaintdry? said:

I’m following trend and sold meta in my non taxable and rh in my taxable. Very close to pressing the sell button for meta in my taxable. 

All the value guys dumping makes me feel better about holding. Please let me know when you all are done, so I can start trimming…

1 minute ago, Castanza said:

Sold remaining VTS, Trimmed CASH 1/3

Any reason you sold VTS?  I'm on the fence about selling in my retirement account but figured I would wait until after the conference call in a couple of weeks.  For the shares in my taxable account, I figured I would sell after 366 days to get the better tax treatment. 

I sold a small position that I had in Intrepid Potash for only a little more than I bought it a few months ago.  There are better things to own right now and the CEO sold a couple million dollars worth, which is not a great sign. 

28 minutes ago, Saluki said:

Any reason you sold VTS?  I'm on the fence about selling in my retirement account but figured I would wait until after the conference call in a couple of weeks.  For the shares in my taxable account, I figured I would sell after 366 days to get the better tax treatment. 

I sold a small position that I had in Intrepid Potash for only a little more than I bought it a few months ago.  There are better things to own right now and the CEO sold a couple million dollars worth, which is not a great sign. 

Held it in my Roth so it was easier to sell for sure. More so just a trade on oil prices and wanted to allocate more to Fairfax. If we get back below $20 again I’ll take a look again. I still like the company. Mgmt was buying around $16 so that number is in the back of my mind. 

Edited by Castanza

3 minutes ago, Castanza said:

Held it in my Roth so it was easier to sell for sure. More so just a trade on oil prices and wanted to allocate more to Fairfax. If we get back below $20 again I’ll take a look again. I still like the company. Mgmt was buying around $16 so that number is in the back of my mind. 

Makes sense, I know someone who's been trading it in his retirement account and he's made 3 "roundtrips" already where he's bought low and sold high, so he's doing better on it than I am.  But as a recovering dumpster diver I've sold many times where I thought "I wouldn't buy it at these prices, so I should sell".  And most people are not as cheap as me, so they keep buying and I feel like I left money on the table.  I'm trying to train myself to sell at certain points (a pre-determined target price, or after earnings are out). If I sell before earnings, then I might be reacting to "mr market" which would be a mistake. 

1 hour ago, Saluki said:

Makes sense, I know someone who's been trading it in his retirement account and he's made 3 "roundtrips" already where he's bought low and sold high, so he's doing better on it than I am.  But as a recovering dumpster diver I've sold many times where I thought "I wouldn't buy it at these prices, so I should sell".  And most people are not as cheap as me, so they keep buying and I feel like I left money on the table.  I'm trying to train myself to sell at certain points (a pre-determined target price, or after earnings are out). If I sell before earnings, then I might be reacting to "mr market" which would be a mistake. 

Tough to toe that line imo. I try to segregate between long-term investments and more speculative ones. Typically for me the distinction comes down to track record, market position, market cap, outlook, acquisition target worthy, special situation, etc. 

O&G is just one of those sectors I choose to keep a loose grip on. 

Trimmed a little META.  Facebook and Instagram are incredible sticky platforms and money makers.  But I don't know anything useful about the metaverse and I don't use Twitter or Threads.  If Zuckerberg thinks he can incorporate AI into his portfolio companies and make the advertising engine run better, maybe that's true, but I'm not an AI guy so I can't judge that either.  I'd feel comfortable keeping about 80% of my position and deploying that sell money to areas where I have better visibility and that are more squarely in my circle of competence. And AAPL had another couple of doubles from this market cap, but I'm sure the odds of a couple of doubles are better starting from a smaller base. 

On 7/20/2023 at 9:15 AM, Spekulatius said:

Sold a bit of USB to reduce my exposure.

I'm curious about this sale as I have some USB in my portfolio and consider it quite undervalued still. Were you just getting your exposure down to a reasonable level or were there other reasons? My main concern with USB is that they may have to increase capital levels quite a bit over the next couple of years, but they showed with their Q2 results that they can build capital rapidly if needed.

2 hours ago, treasurehunt said:

I'm curious about this sale as I have some USB in my portfolio and consider it quite undervalued still. Were you just getting your exposure down to a reasonable level or were there other reasons? My main concern with USB is that they may have to increase capital levels quite a bit over the next couple of years, but they showed with their Q2 results that they can build capital rapidly if needed.

No, I don’t have much concerns specific to USB, but want to get my exposure level down so that I maybe can add back a little if the shares give up some of their gains. I do expect the near term future for banks to be a bit rough due to the inverted yield curve.

USB is very reasonably valued and they did a good job bumping up their CET1 capital level to 9.1% , so I think the risk of a capital raise is greatly diminished.