What are you buying today?

LowIQinvestor

3 minutes ago, RedLion said:

I wrote a bunch of puts on this name around this price around this time last year. I really like the assets here, and think it’s attractive around $120. 

I looked into doing same right now, but there is no vol in the options.

Sold a little ATEX and added to NTDOY on the dip. 

I still think ATEX is undervalued, but when I bought it I decided to give it 3 years for the thesis to play out. So I'm selling the stuff I bought 3 years ago for the tax loss harvesting and hanging onto the rest that I bought later at lower cost. I may buy it back later if they get more business, but utilities (their customers) move very slowly.

10 minutes ago, Dinar said:

Why?  This is a no growth business, right?  16-17x p/e on 2024 is not expensive, but what's the upside?  20x?

I was re-reading Peter Lynch’s book last night. He said many of his good picks are slow growers trading at reasonable valuations. The slow growers compound over the years. 
1. KVUE is a spin-off,

2. and is having some temporary negative news which I think made it oversold. Its earning won’t really be impacted much if at all.
3. Also usually for stocks that are added to SP500, it will have a permanent boost to its valuation— soon a lot of funds will start include it.

4. Nice brands of stables etc.. good business in general 

Bought RTX yesterday.  I had bought a pretty good amount of Siemens during that Covid drawdown, selling some long held KHC and K to do it.  Today I bought an equal addtion to SIEGY.  Biased as SIEGY is buiding a massive passenger rail plant next door to our industrial site here in Lexington, NC.

3 hours ago, drzola said:

Longlake;  Would you mind sharing which CDN preferred's you purchased and why?

Sincerely;  Steve

FFH.pr.D

ALA.pr.H

SLF.pr.J

These are all floating rate resets. There are others series you can  buy, with "better" features.  example..SLF.pr.J is a  non-cumulative....so it trades at even more of a discount because people deem the non-cumulative as a negative.

The Canadian pref complex, is pretty washed out. Many retail investors have been killed over the past 5 years here....they threw in the towel. ZPR has been a disaster. This is a pretty inefficient market dominated by retail investors.

It's a parking place for cash.... even if rates go down " a bit" I think we do okay here as a parking place for cash. 

Edited by longlake95

On 9/13/2023 at 9:39 AM, longlake95 said:

FFH.pr.D

ALA.pr.H

SLF.pr.J

These are all floating rate resets. There are others series you can  buy, with "better" features.  example..SLF.pr.J is a  non-cumulative....so it trades at even more of a discount because people deem the non-cumulative as a negative.

The Canadian pref complex, is pretty washed out. Many retail investors have been killed over the past 5 years here....they threw in the towel. ZPR has been a disaster. This is a pretty inefficient market dominated by retail investors.

It's a parking place for cash.... even if rates go down " a bit" I think we do okay here as a parking place for cash. 

I am looking at the cdn prefs as well.  Thought the perpetual fixed may be a good bet if rates have (or will soon have) peaked.  What do you think?  Thanks,

15 minutes ago, gokou3 said:

I am looking at the cdn prefs as well.  Thought the perpetual fixed may be a good bet if rates have (or will soon have) peaked.  What do you think?  Thanks,

yes the perpetuals will move more on rate changes. So you're playing the interest rate guessing game. I'm parking cash in the floaters - which won't react (the price) as much to rate changes. All I know is this whole asset class has done poorly for the past while - and there's value there. Again, this isn't a big idea, just a placeholder till the fat pitch comes along. There might even some issuer's surprise us by redeeming various series.