What are you buying today?

LowIQinvestor

On 4/22/2022 at 1:27 PM, Gregmal said:

Added a few more May 330 QQQ puts. Imagine what a dumpster fire that’s gonna be if the big tech stuff all the value bros have been buying fall flat on earnings next week?

Rolled a portion of these down to the $300 strike and out to June. Net reduction in cash attached to the position.

UNTCW - $63.74 strike warrants expiring in 5 years on a stock trading at $58. Black-Scholes should price this in the $20s I would think, but they are trading for $6 on the high side down to a penny on the low side. I think they just became tradable today after a two year long bankruptcy and people are just taking what they can get for them.

On 4/22/2022 at 4:23 PM, LC said:

I joined the party as well. Hopefully the kool aid is light and sweet.

Strong earnings are coming from most O&G (not RRC that is hedged so low). CVE just tripped its dividend on top of a massive quarter (and that included a huge hedge loss). VET has additional strength coming from Russia acting belligerent and stopping gas flows to EU now. 

@Castanza - O&G makes me nervous too. I want to say that this time is different as there is discipline in the sector (debt reduction across the board) and OPEC isn't flooding the markets but I'm reading all I can for any signs of exuberance.

Added some FB and ATCO.  I'm fully invested but I may sell some HHC today and add to ATEX and MU on their pullback. GOOG is starting to look cheap again (~20P/E), but I think if tech companies are getting dinged, they may spend less on ads, so maybe FB and GOOG are priced correctly.  

3 hours ago, lnofeisone said:

Quick "cash substitute idea" - buy ET at $11.40 this AM and sell 2024 10 calls at $2. ET is going ex-div on May 6th so odds are your shares will be called. You'll get 5% for holding this thing for about a week. 

Why do you think the call holders would exercise early? It looks like the dividend is only 0.20, which is much less than the implied value of the call option. Options are only exercised early when the time value of the option is less than the dividend being paid.

I think you're overestimating IV contraction after earnings. Those calls have 6 more quarterly earnings reports after this one before they expire, so it is unlikely that all IV goes away after one. It might be a fine play as the short calls will basically double your dividend over the life of the option, but I wouldn't expect to get called away anytime soon.

So we have two "cheap" stocks trading near their 52 week lows reporting earnings tomorrow before the bell - BC and ABG.  Both are likely to report a good quarter, ABG is likely to raise guidance.  Will be interesting to see market reaction.