What are you buying today?

LowIQinvestor

Altus Midstream (ALTS).  First ever dividend ex-date is Friday, $1.50 quarterly (>10% yield as a c-corp).

Brand new pipeline assets in the Permian.  May put together a write-up, but the thesis is pretty straightforward. 

Forgot to mention, most of the pipelines are part of JVs and partnership agreements, and Apache owns 79% of ALTM so I think there are possibilities for strategic transactions in the future.  Either that or Apache dumps its stake and crushes the share price.

Bought FB and SRE today. SRE is a well managed utility that I have bought a few times over the year. It trades a t the lower end of its historical valuation range and should be a good low risk trade for 10-15% upside with little risk to principle or longer term hold depending on how things develop.

Always liked the idea of owning SRE given the TX utility and exposure to LNG / Mexico growth stories, but never did more than a superficial look due to the CA wildfire noise.  Has that been addressed at this point in the wake of PG&E?  How do you get comfortable?

SRE never had an issue that caused a wildfire. EIX had some smaller issues but never to the scale of PCG. SRE is the best run of the three (by far) then EIX and last PCG.

Adding a few more SRE shares. Results came out and headline numbers look good. 10-k size is 77MB  :o

Wildbrain

As a connoisseur of children's programming, I was shocked to learn how many brands and titles these guys own.

I'm in WLDBF too, was gonna see if there was a thread and if not start one when I get time.

They own 80% of Peanuts among others and have a really interesting vertical integration from content development through consumer products sales.

Yep .. a really compelling monetisation story backed by strong execution (former Marvel executive), solid cash flows, really attractive multiple and lots of great kids content that is in demand by Netflix, DreamWorks and AppleTV+ besides one of the largest presence on YT. And a tight float to boot.

I like the runway here for sure. Kids content much better for product sales. Their YouTube channels do insane numbers. I like the CEO's focus on quality over quantity for new content creation.

Do you guys know where I can find a write-up or can you start a thread on the company? Always interested in Canadian small-caps. Thanks!

Wildbrain

As a connoisseur of children's programming, I was shocked to learn how many brands and titles these guys own.

I'm in WLDBF too, was gonna see if there was a thread and if not start one when I get time.

They own 80% of Peanuts among others and have a really interesting vertical integration from content development through consumer products sales.

Yep .. a really compelling monetisation story backed by strong execution (former Marvel executive), solid cash flows, really attractive multiple and lots of great kids content that is in demand by Netflix, DreamWorks and AppleTV+ besides one of the largest presence on YT. And a tight float to boot.

I like the runway here for sure. Kids content much better for product sales. Their YouTube channels do insane numbers. I like the CEO's focus on quality over quantity for new content creation.

Do you guys know where I can find a write-up or can you start a thread on the company? Always interested in Canadian small-caps. Thanks!

Not a writeup, but Andrew Walker's podcast with Joe Boskovich on Wildbrain may be useful: https://yetanothervalueblog.com/podcast

BABA - $255

More BABA - $239

They are certainly under some scrutiny. Jack Ma's pseudo fall-from-grace, the regulatory probe, Ant's shelved listing, etc.

Is the thesis here a generic mean reversion? E.g. Competition is overblown, the underlying business can continue to generate meaningful profits, the regulatory/news-driven "cloud" will one day lift, etc.?

BABA - $255

More BABA - $239

They are certainly under some scrutiny. Jack Ma's pseudo fall-from-grace, the regulatory probe, Ant's shelved listing, etc.

Is the thesis here a generic mean reversion? E.g. Competition is overblown, the underlying business can continue to generate meaningful profits, the regulatory/news-driven "cloud" will one day lift, etc.?

Yeah, good questions.  Basically, you are paying a fair price for a great business with a large moat. Not a cigar butt price, but a

troubled price vs the opportunity.

Still growing at a 30%+ clip, with tentacles in so many lines of business and countries in the Far East, let alone China.

You can look at it on PE basis - PEG below 1.

Regarding regulations, China, and Jack Ma - this will never be a Berkshire size position for me (20%+) - but 1-5%, I'm ok with.

But you're certainly hitting on why BABA is discounted.

If the price continues to fall, I'll keep adding up to 4-5%. It's a great dominant business.

The thesis would be the bad news will subside, now that Jack has been slapped around, and the price will eventually reflect the revenue growth rate.