What are you buying today?

LowIQinvestor

A boat?  ;D

Highly recommended. I bought one in October of 2019.  It has been a godsend.  My wife and I spent just about all our free time out on Lake Winnipesaukee this spring, summer, and fall.  A boat is great for social distancing.  Also in case Biden gets any crazy gun control passed I lost all of my guns in a tragic boating incident this past summer.

A boat?  ;D

There s a good saying, "if it drives, flies, floats, or fucks, rent it"... That said, I totally agree with rkbabang as a boat owner. Expensive, but totally worth it.

Apparently NBA, NFL, and MLB coaches will literally tell their athletes this.  It is probably the best advice one can give in that position. 

A boat?  ;D

There s a good saying, "if it drives, flies, floats, or fucks, rent it"... That said, I totally agree with rkbabang as a boat owner. Expensive, but totally worth it.

Maybe from a money point of view, but the only thing on that list that I rent are things that fly.  Sometimes it's better to own.

A boat?  ;D

Highly recommended. I bought one in October of 2019.  It has been a godsend.  My wife and I spent just about all our free time out on Lake Winnipesaukee this spring, summer, and fall.  A boat is great for social distancing.  Also in case Biden gets any crazy gun control passed I lost all of my guns in a tragic boating incident this past summer.

CorpRaider and rkbabang, could you suggest a specific ticker . . . er, I mean model?

A boat?  ;D

CorpRaider and rkbabang, could you suggest a specific ticker . . . er, I mean model?

$MCFT sunk today  -6.8%. Obviously a WFH stock.

A boat?  ;D

Buddy of mine says that BOAT stands for Bust Out Another Thousand!

I doubt there isn't a boat owner that hasn't heard the old joke, "A boat is a hole in the water you try to fill up with money". Gotta say there is a lot of truth in that, especially in Canada where the season is short. After boating since I was a kid and four boats I am now a retired boater.

PS My next boat was going to be named "WOFTAM" *

* Waste Of F**king Time And Money

You have to love and dream of boating to make paying for one worth it.

If you have a non 9-5 M-F schedule, boat clubs are a great choice.  You are able to take a variety of boats out during low demand times and not worry about a thing for a flat few thousand a year

I doubt there isn't a boat owner that hasn't heard the old joke, "A boat is a hole in the water you try to fill up with money". Gotta say there is a lot of truth in that, especially in Canada where the season is short. After boating since I was a kid and four boats I am now a retired boater.

PS My next boat was going to be named "WOFTAM" *

* Waste Of F**king Time And Money

The two happiest days in a boat owner's life: the day you buy the boat, and the day you sell the boat.

I'd echo the rental option.

No clean up after a trip.

No worries about maintenance.

That said, if you rent a number of different hull types (deep v, flat bottom, cat hull, deck or pontoon) you'll discover what you like. I bought a 20' Godfrey Marine pontoon in 1994 & it is still in my boat lift. It's on it's second outboard now. I love my pontoon. The rectangular shape means no wasted space for maximum deck utilization. It's slow but I'm not in a hurry. It's stable & I've had it out in some rough weather. Inland only, I see no need to go offshore with it. If you want to go offshore, a pontoon is a poor choice.

Other than that, I have 2 words of advice: fuel stabilizer.

Let me add a few more words that will make your life easier: crank and run your engine every week in the off season and grease and actuate the steering too or it will freeze up.

A boat?  ;D

Get a used sailboat from the 70s or 80s. Someone else owned it through the steep part of the depreciation curve. They're the cigar butts of the boating world. If you really want to be frugal you can buy one for not much more than the scrap value of the lead keel.

A boat?  ;D

Get a used sailboat from the 70s or 80s. Someone else owned it through the steep part of the depreciation curve. They're the cigar butts of the boating world. If you really want to be frugal you can buy one for not much more than the scrap value of the lead keel.

Of course then you need to learn how to sail.  I bought a 2007 Sea-Doo Utopia jetboat.  20' bowrider with dual 155hp engines and the best part for lake boating: no prop to damage. Floats in just over a foot of water.

A boat?  ;D

Of course then you need to learn how to sail.  I bought a 2007 Sea-Doo Utopia jetboat.  20' bowrider with dual 155hp engines and the best part for lake boating: no prop to damage. Floats in just over a foot of water.

The "prop damage" issue is one reason it might make sense to own rather than rent. I decided against renting a boat this summer when I checked the reviews for the only marina on the lake with rentals. A huge percentage of the reviews said they had been charged their full $1000 damage deposit for damaging the prop.

I'm sure that happens with renters, but the frequency was such that either they have a gravel bar they don't mention right out front or they're scamming people. So we went go-karting instead.