Where are you going.. (Travel Thread)

Longnose

Posted (edited)
On 4/28/2024 at 10:04 PM, nwoodman said:

We are just back from trekking to Mera Peak (6476m) in Nepal. Despite its reputation as the highest but easiest of the “trekking peaks,” we still only got three out of our party of 12 to the top. Two dropped out on the way to base camp (5200m), and the rest made it to high camp (5900m), but a combination of cold and altitude took its toll. I considered our acclimatisation route to be very conservative, but altitude just affects everyone so differently.

I set out with my two boys and a friend’s son around 2am.  Unfortunately my oldest son turned back due to the cold (-16C) but the youngest (16 YO) made it to the top.  It was a great experience but reaffirmed that anything over 6000m is always going to be a challenge.

IMG_2881.thumb.jpeg.ceac421ca3c2c37b0fe2e394b3dbe92b.jpegIMG_2928.thumb.jpeg.bab9adc67cc8a628821a46a585beece7.jpegIMG_2876.thumb.jpeg.1f14899c76a1d33222d90388a438e40e.jpeg

@nwoodman Freaking amazing. Ok… i guess that might have been a better decision than attending the Fairfax AGM this year. 

Edited by Viking

10 minutes ago, Viking said:

@nwoodman Freaking amazing. Ok… i guess that might have been a better decision than attending the Fairfax AGM this year. 

Thanks @Viking,although line ball I’d say, it sounds like this year’s AGM get together was one to remember.  Aiming to make it next year though 👍

Hey Ralf...just remembering that I read your earlier message while moving Pax into an apartment just north on hwy 49 of the Charlotte campus, he's beginning graduate school in architecture.  On a mission of 24/7 assistance right now as bunion surgery has me in the help mode full time all day LOL.  Oh lordy.

Lexington BBQ is goooooood stuff.   

On 4/29/2024 at 7:14 AM, Xerxes said:

I went in 2023 to Japan, my second time after a 15 year hiatus, my first time was in 2005. I missed seeing both times Nagasaki. 

I have a thing for old Portuguese colonies. You can add Gao, Macau to that list. I did see Malacca and Penang in Malaysia. 

it is interesting how memory works. I went to see the Shogun palace in Kyoto in 2005. And I had good memories of my visit for +15 years. when I visited again in 2023 the exact same location in Kyoto, the museum of course had not changed, but I have no longer access to my 2005 memories. They are now superseded by 2023 of the same location. 

Going to be based in Penang this summer for 3-4 weeks - first time to Malaysia/Singapore area.  Any recommendations of things to not miss in the Penang area or travel in that vicinity? 

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Gamecock-YT said:

Lexington BBQ and that's Kannapolis in the last photo. Red slaw is an acquired taste. 

Definitely true as far as red slaw or even Lexington BBQ is concerned . I went to eat Lexington BBQ at Lexington BBQ. The place was packed, apparently all locals. They did a pretty good job with the meat, but I didn’t care too much for the somewhat bland taste of it. I prefer the NC mustard based sauces or the more spicy ones. Kannapolis is pretty nice - they did a good job in making the downtown area attractive.

Edited by Spekulatius

7 hours ago, Spekulatius said:

Definitely true as far as red slaw or even Lexington BBQ is concerned . I went to eat Lexington BBQ at Lexington BBQ. The place was packed, apparently all locals. They did a pretty good job with the meat, but I didn’t care too much for the somewhat bland taste of it. I prefer the NC mustard based sauces or the more spicy ones. Kannapolis is pretty nice - they did a good job in making the downtown area attractive.

Yeah I prefer more pulled pork vs. chopped. Likewise more prefer SC mustard or ketchup based sauce. Usually just prefer vinegar based on sandwiches. Red slaw only if I don't like how the place does white slaw. 

Yeah that part of the north Charlotte 'burbs has really boomed the last 10-15 years. Kannapolis' baseball team used to be named the Intimidators after Dale Sr. but I think there was a falling out with the estate over the rights to the name. 

On 5/26/2024 at 9:09 AM, investmd said:

Going to be based in Penang this summer for 3-4 weeks - first time to Malaysia/Singapore area.  Any recommendations of things to not miss in the Penang area or travel in that vicinity? 

I was in Penang only for a few days before heading to chiang Mai.

i always like to plug in a cozy city mid way through my trip. Just to chill, eat and do my laundry. Georgetown in penang was my chill down time. 

I enjoyed the Blue Mansion. (Where some scenes from the movie Crazy Rich Asians was filmed) Had a tasty whisky sour at the bar. There are a few other mansions there. Part of their Chinese secret societies, which I never fully understood but you can sense that influence by how Penang is the only province in Malaysia that always elect a Chinese minister. 

There is a Portuguese fort that was nice.  I have a curious fascination with forts in far flung place. 

Malaysia was fascinating. A monarchy, where there are several sultans all at once reigning over the different ‘nations’ that make up the Federation, and the throne rotates with sultans becoming the Federal king. Of course the executive office is really with the prime minister and the king is powerless. 

Not exactly in Penang, but be sure to go to Malacca pass south of Kuala Lumpur. History stuff if you like. The only place that you Portuguese, British and Dutch influence depending who controlled the Malacca straight. 

8 hours ago, Whensthepaintdry? said:

Would anyone recommend Tenerife? I’m looking for week long cycling destination. Looks like a nice place, but this is the first time I have ever heard of it. 

Just spent the day in Santa Cruz de Tenerife on a stopover during a transatlantic cruise but I liked it. Easy to get around via the bus/tram system they have there. Assume you'll fly into the south airport and spend most your time riding Mount Teide. Also if you have any interest in aviation, the north airport was the site of the worst disaster in aviation history. 

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Gamecock-YT said:

Also if you have any interest in aviation, the north airport was the site of the worst disaster in aviation history. 

As someone whose doesn’t like flying much that wasn’t the best search result to see pop up at first. What a crazy series of events! Absolutely tragic.

Did you think the cruise ships made it feel overcrowded while you were there?

Edited by Whensthepaintdry?

2 minutes ago, Whensthepaintdry? said:

As someone whose doesn’t like flying much that wasn’t the best search result to see pop up at first. What a crazy series of events! Absolutely tragic.

Did you think the cruise ships made it feel overcrowded while you were there?

No, not really. Santa Cruz is really spread out compared to most cruise ship stops so pretty easy to not be on top of people. Especially if you get a few blocks out of port. I hit the tourist sites in the morning and took the bus up to the infamous airport, then spent the afternoon at a cerveceria before hopping back on the boat. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Xerxes! for sharing ideas from trip to Penang. I'm currently reading a fictional book set in Penang - sheds insight into the mingling of Chinese, British and Indian cultures. Look forward to the trip, 

9 minutes ago, Vish_ram said:

Japan was great, Kyoto in particular.

Cheap yen was a blessing 

Cheap yen really puts the cherry on top of the vacation...you basically have twice to three times your income at the current level compared to EUR and USD

On 6/11/2024 at 12:01 AM, investmd said:

Thanks Xerxes! for sharing ideas from trip to Penang. I'm currently reading a fictional book set in Penang - sheds insight into the mingling of Chinese, British and Indian cultures. Look forward to the trip, 

can you share the book ?

I got this idea to track where I've been off reddit and thought it would be fun. Did the best I could based off memory. www.mapchart.net Has anyone else done this? Definitely made me realize I havent been to nearly the number of places in the US as I thought I had. 

I focused only on domestic trips in adulthood but theres lots of options

image.thumb.png.c4a6922f2f6d9e4d94adfc0d1c5c0c86.png

Edited by Eng12345

On 6/13/2024 at 8:04 PM, Eng12345 said:

I got this idea to track where I've been off reddit and thought it would be fun. Did the best I could based off memory. www.mapchart.net Has anyone else done this? Definitely made me realize I havent been to nearly the number of places in the US as I thought I had. 

I focused only on domestic trips in adulthood but theres lots of options

image.thumb.png.c4a6922f2f6d9e4d94adfc0d1c5c0c86.png

What did you use to make that?

I am hiking and biking. Sadly it was a last minute trip and I wasn’t able to string up enough huts. Alta Via and the others in that area were booked or weren’t open yet.  I plan on hopefully doing one of the Alta Vias next year. We have gotten to a few different ones doing longer day hikes and they are all amazing. This whole area is huge beautiful playground.