What are you buying today?

LowIQinvestor

I bought some $95 $IYR puts expiring in January 2025. I expect to lose 100% on these and will use the tax loss in '24 or '25 depending on how things are in December. It hedges some of my REIT exposure after a nice run. I don't think these puts are particularly cheap or anything like that...

6 hours ago, StevieV said:

No surprise to you, but I think $OWL in the 16s is attractive.  My best guess is that they fall a bit short of their $1/share dividend goal for next year, but I think they'll get to at least something like 92 or 96 cents.  That's a 5-6% yield for next year for a company with very healthy growth, significant "permanent" capital, mostly steady fee, and a decent variety of strategies.

Completely agreed. I couldn't care less about $1 in 2025, but if I have an ~5% forward yield and it's able to continue to grow at double digits for 5-10 years, I find that pretty attractive. At least for an alt asset manager. I'm a pretty big fan of the OWL business model and the emphasis on FRE over carry, and I think this should help it trade at a higher multiple. 

The most comparable models are BX, BAM, and ARES. And ARES is the most comparable in terms of emphasis on private credit. All of these trade at a richer value, have lower growth, and lower dividend yields than OWL. I'd expect that if OWL avoid a major misstep that this valuation gap will likely close over a period of time, and hopefully will be earning significantly higher FRE/dividends in 3-5 years. 

Obviously I love APO/KKR/BX/ARES, but I really think OWL has the most upside at these levels. 

EDIT: 

Just pointing out that all of the major alts (APO, BX, KKR, BAM, CG, ARES, etc.) have made deals to manage insurance AUM, and it appears that OWL is trying to break into the market as well. I think the smaller scale of OWL sets up some really great growth tailwinds as it won't take nearly as much to move the needle in increasing AUM/FRE/DE. 

Also, I'm not normally a huge believer in empire builders, but I'm excited about all the tuck in acquisitions that OWL has been pulling off to scale up its credit business. Also I love the general partner business, and I think this has helped OWL identify attractive acquisition targets in addition to being a great source of FRE in itself. 

Edited by Red Lion

2 hours ago, Dinar said:

Bought Glenveagh.  So @changegonnacome, if it works out, I will owe you a barrel of Guinness or Jamieson/Red Spot.  Made it roughly a 4% position.  That Irish stamp duty at 1% is annoying.

Its a deal!

And totally hear you on the stamp duty......the UK and Ireland are literally punching themselves in the face from a capital markets point of view attaching stamp duty to share purchases