Where are you going.. (Travel Thread)

Longnose

3 hours ago, Blugolds11 said:
On 7/23/2022 at 8:49 PM, rkbabang said:

I have a vacation home on Lake Winnipesaukee and have already spent 4 weeks there this summer and will spend Labor Day week there as well.  Also going to Punta Cana for a week in October.

Do you know a Dr. Leo Marvin? 

No, I know Bob though.

Cost/day is actually quite cheap, as there's typically nothing to spend on - it's just that all the cost is paid up-front. The rest is mostly time, as each leg is roughly 2-3 weeks - in our early days we used to straddle Xmas/New-Year's whenever possible, and use vacation time on both sides of year-end. These things also take roughly 5-10 years, net of working around the inevitable conflict disruptions.

And the older you get - the more you can afford better accommodation in the connecting cities !

Those old Peter Ustinov adverts for Visa  ......  "Don't leave home without it" 

SD

Oh didn't know there was a form:

Where do you have vacation homes? 

None.

Where are your repeat vacation spots?

Don't very often repeat places. Place I still enjoy going to no matter how many times I've been there: Japan, London, Madrid, Hong Kong (maybe not now?), Vietnam, and New Zealand.

What are must see places? (North America vs Internationally)

It's all relative to what interest you have. There's places that have incredible art museums, but if you don't care about art then it's not really of value to you. I think we privileged first world citizens should really spend time in third world countries. It's eye opening in so many different ways. I'm also a student of history so I think you can't help but be moved, challenged , and do some serious soul searching visiting recent history sites, for me it is World War 2 sites. Places like Hiroshima, Pearl Harbor, Normandy, Dachau, and Auschwitz are those for me. It's also actually been very enlightening being in the Baltics right now. There's Ukrainian flags everywhere. People are very proud of their support for Ukraine. It isn't something in the news that gets put in the  'C' block of the nightly news like it is back at home.

What is your next adventure?

Currently on a tour of Scandinavia, the Baltics, and Finland. Looking at heading to Bali for a month or two after this. 

• 3 weeks later...

Lake Superior is epic. The weather was perfect so that helps but most would not believe this is Ontario.  An absolutely amazing trip with the family. 

the wilderness there is tough to beat from seclusion and raw Beauty

4E15B2FF-6A5A-47D6-BA64-CE9F2492E0D7.jpeg

98AE1971-4797-4C53-8B3F-6553F67A9ABA.jpeg

78A10974-F4C9-416C-A8B1-ACCCD6BC3C67.jpeg

EE1F2FA4-486F-4ABA-81B3-A89DB90543B9.jpeg

We were on the east side in Lake Superior provincial park in Ontario. We Camped on the beach and did some canoeing inland with the kids on calm lakes. 

in one day we waded through waterfalls, canoed on a glass flat lake without seeing another soul for hours and then finished with a visit to an awesome crescent shaped beach like you see in the Caribbean. 

this was the cheapest most memorable trip I’ve taken. 

1 hour ago, Longnose said:

@Jaygo Where at on superior? My wife and I kayaked to the apostle islands and camped a few years back then did some of the south west shore by Duluth. It really is pretty country up there. 

Yes. Also great camping / kayaking place in Minnesota is Lake Kabetogama as part of Voyageurs National Park. Absolutely stunning, especially this time of the year.

If you get the opportunity, visit Pukaskwa National Park.

If you choose to kayak, make sure that everyone can do an open water rescue, as the Lake can get very rough, very quickly!

Paddling tandem double kayaks in 20-25 foot swells is only fun when every one knows exactly what they are doing.

https://www.pc.gc.ca/en/pn-np/on/pukaskwa

SD

2 hours ago, RedLion said:

Next week we are going to Kailua-Kona on the Big Island of Hawaii (my first time) for 10 days and then over to Koloa on the island of Kauai (we usually visit once a year). 

We just returned from 2 weeks on the Big Island. The value investor in me bought the Ocean Adventures afternoon snorkel on Groupon at a big discount. We stay in Waikoloa, so not much else for Kona recommendations.

6 hours ago, bizaro86 said:

We just returned from 2 weeks on the Big Island. The value investor in me bought the Ocean Adventures afternoon snorkel on Groupon at a big discount. We stay in Waikoloa, so not much else for Kona recommendations.

Isn't Hawaii just stupid expensive right now?  I was looking at Maui in January, and the hotel rooms are just through the roof!  Thinking maybe somewhere in the Caribbean instead.  Cheers!

6 hours ago, bizaro86 said:

I'm going to check Groupon, thanks for the recommendation, this is a great idea! I've already booked a few outings, although the snorkeling with the manta rays just got cancelled due to boat maintenance so I need to rebook a snorkeling trip. 

37 minutes ago, Parsad said:

Isn't Hawaii just stupid expensive right now?  I was looking at Maui in January, and the hotel rooms are just through the roof!  Thinking maybe somewhere in the Caribbean instead.  Cheers!

You can still get value, but you definitely have to shop it. I got a 2 bedroom oceanfront condo for $200 a night plus cleaning and service fees on AirBnb. We will have 4 adults and one toddler. For a longer trip, the condo is essential because restaurant prices are insane (and just getting worse from what I hear) and it saves a bunch of money to have a kitchen and hit up Costco (and go fishing which is something I try to do as early as possible in my trip, if successful it pays for itself and then some and it's always a great time on the water.) 

Then sitting through a timeshare presentation to get a special promotion on the stay in Kauai, so that only came to $150/night plus they give us a $200 gift card once we sit through the hard sales pitch and say no. They usually offer another package to do it again once you refuse, and I usually take them up on it as a cheap way to extend the stay by 5 days the following year. 

Most of the airline tickets booked on Hawaiian airlines points with bonus miles. If you open their CC and meet the promotional activity it is just about enough to cover 2 round trip tickets.   Airline tickets and rental cars have both gone down quite a bit in the last two months. I got a midsize SUV for $90/day.

If you're flying anywhere in Hawaii for a longer trip and staying in hotels and eating out for every meal, you're going to spend a fortune. And I don't have much interest in taking a short trip to Hawaii, I feel like 10 days is the minimum since the flights are significant (especially with a toddler!) 

9 minutes ago, RedLion said:

I'm going to check Groupon, thanks for the recommendation, this is a great idea! I've already booked a few outings, although the snorkeling with the manta rays just got cancelled due to boat maintenance so I need to rebook a snorkeling trip. 

You can still get value, but you definitely have to shop it. I got a 2 bedroom oceanfront condo for $200 a night plus cleaning and service fees on AirBnb. We will have 4 adults and one toddler. For a longer trip, the condo is essential because restaurant prices are insane (and just getting worse from what I hear) and it saves a bunch of money to have a kitchen and hit up Costco (and go fishing which is something I try to do as early as possible in my trip, if successful it pays for itself and then some and it's always a great time on the water.) 

Then sitting through a timeshare presentation to get a special promotion on the stay in Kauai, so that only came to $150/night plus they give us a $200 gift card once we sit through the hard sales pitch and say no. They usually offer another package to do it again once you refuse, and I usually take them up on it as a cheap way to extend the stay by 5 days the following year. 

Most of the airline tickets booked on Hawaiian airlines points with bonus miles. If you open their CC and meet the promotional activity it is just about enough to cover 2 round trip tickets.   Airline tickets and rental cars have both gone down quite a bit in the last two months. I got a midsize SUV for $90/day.

If you're flying anywhere in Hawaii for a longer trip and staying in hotels and eating out for every meal, you're going to spend a fortune. And I don't have much interest in taking a short trip to Hawaii, I feel like 10 days is the minimum since the flights are significant (especially with a toddler!) 

Thanks for the tips!  A kitchenette is something absolutely necessary with a toddler...saves a bundle too.

It's not so much the airline tickets, which are quite reasonable for January...hotels are just crazy and rental car prices too.  And as you said, you know food costs are high there.  

I don't mind sitting through a presentation to get a deal.  I'll scope that out.

Cheers!

2 hours ago, Parsad said:

I'm in the vacation rental business so my personal vacations happen at wholesale rates.

2 hours ago, CorpRaider said:

Level with me (and my wife more importantly).  Beach houses are usually turrible investments?

I think buying vacation property is, on average, a terrible investment. When properly cost burdened it generally trades at low cap rates, and is much more work than long term rentals to manage. People underestimate the maintenance capex type stuff buying new appliances/bedding/dishware/frying pans etc as well. 

Lately a large upward move in rental value and low rates have made everyone who owns look like a genius, but I don't think that's sustainable over the long term.

There are definitely exceptions, and the market is not efficient. I also have no qualms with people buying things and using them - but that's a luxury expense not an investment.

The one place where individual usage can be value add is if it isn't in peak rental season. If you want to go the mountains in the summer every year buying a place and renting it for ski season can be the cheapest option. Same if you wanted to live near a northern lake in the winter and travel to Europe in the summer - buy the lake property and rent it during peak summer season.

It's like anything else - there are edge cases that work but on average people just do OK. Personally, my business is asset-light, which is how I like it, as I keep everything above working capital in the stock market.

Edited to add: transformational use can add value as well. If you can convert an outbuilding to 3 more bedrooms that can be a big deal. Or some folks have made $$ converting a hillside into a "hobbit hole" type place.

Edited by bizaro86

3 hours ago, bizaro86 said:

I think buying vacation property is, on average, a terrible investment. When properly cost burdened it generally trades at low cap rates, and is much more work than long term rentals to manage. People underestimate the maintenance capex type stuff buying new appliances/bedding/dishware/frying pans etc as well. 

Lately a large upward move in rental value and low rates have made everyone who owns look like a genius, but I don't think that's sustainable over the long term.

There are definitely exceptions, and the market is not efficient. I also have no qualms with people buying things and using them - but that's a luxury expense not an investment.

The one place where individual usage can be value add is if it isn't in peak rental season. If you want to go the mountains in the summer every year buying a place and renting it for ski season can be the cheapest option. Same if you wanted to live near a northern lake in the winter and travel to Europe in the summer - buy the lake property and rent it during peak summer season.

It's like anything else - there are edge cases that work but on average people just do OK. Personally, my business is asset-light, which is how I like it, as I keep everything above working capital in the stock market.

Edited to add: transformational use can add value as well. If you can convert an outbuilding to 3 more bedrooms that can be a big deal. Or some folks have made $$ converting a hillside into a "hobbit hole" type place.

Thanks for the insight!

On 8/14/2022 at 3:26 AM, Jaygo said:

We were on the east side in Lake Superior provincial park in Ontario. We Camped on the beach and did some canoeing inland with the kids on calm lakes. 

in one day we waded through waterfalls, canoed on a glass flat lake without seeing another soul for hours and then finished with a visit to an awesome crescent shaped beach like you see in the Caribbean. 

this was the cheapest most memorable trip I’ve taken. 

Beautiful! I just got back from another trip to Lake Superior Provincial Park camping at Agawa bay for a week and it was once again stunning. One of the most beautiful places I've been to in the world and the sunsets over the bay are legendary. Doesn't feel like you are in Ontario at all, driving up the coast of the lake feels like being out on the West Coast.

On 8/14/2022 at 7:34 AM, SharperDingaan said:

If you get the opportunity, visit Pukaskwa National Park.

If you choose to kayak, make sure that everyone can do an open water rescue, as the Lake can get very rough, very quickly!

Paddling tandem double kayaks in 20-25 foot swells is only fun when every one knows exactly what they are doing.

https://www.pc.gc.ca/en/pn-np/on/pukaskwa

SD

I've hiked the full coastal trail at Pukaskwa (roughly 60 km), it was intense but extremely beautiful and the campsites and beaches are amazing. Some of the best beaches in the world and no one is there. The trail is very isolated since you can only enter from the North end or via a boat. The water is very cold but you get used to it over time, nice and refreshing!

My wife & are planning to fly to Vancouver from San Diego to visit family in Bellingham WA and visit the city. IIRC @Parsad and others on this board live in Vancouver. I have two questions:

1. Can I rent a car in Vancouver & drive across the border to WA & return back to the Vancouver airport? I am assuming yes but wanted to be sure. Are the lines to enter /exit the border between US & Canada long?

2. What are some fun things to do in Vancouver/ nearby areas if we are planning to stay for 2-3 days? 

Thanks 🙏 very  much for your help! Please feel free to DM me.

Edited by Munger_Disciple

4 hours ago, Munger_Disciple said:

My wife & are planning to fly to Vancouver from San Diego to visit family in Bellingham WA and visit the city. IIRC @Parsad and others on this board live in Vancouver. I have two questions:

1. Can I rent a car in Vancouver & drive across the border to WA & return back to the Vancouver airport? I am assuming yes but wanted to be sure. Are the lines to enter /exit the border between US & Canada long?

2. What are some fun things to do in Vancouver/ nearby areas if we are planning to stay for 2-3 days? 

Thanks 🙏 very  much for your help! Please feel free to DM me.

I highly recommend a days trip to Vancouver Island / Victoria.

I have rented a car in Seattle and went over to Canada and back to Seattle without issues. I don’t think doing this the other way round would be a problem.