Movies and TV shows (general recommendation thread)

Liberty

Spent a couple of hours watching the latest offerings from Apple TV+ on yet another night in COVID lockdown .  Ted Lasso Season 2 awesome as usual.  Mr Corman, quirky and worth a watch.  However, Coda, which was the good wife’s pick was a standout. Engaging with enough laugh out loud moments that I would watch it again.  

• 2 weeks later...

Found White Lotus to actually be quite entertaining. Only 6 episodes. Definitely does a good job of highlighting the world we live in. Folks with everything still find ways to manufacture problems for themselves and be petty and unappreciative and folks on the bottom just seem to go through life thinking the world is out to get them and that its everyone else's fault. The latter perspective probably being somewhat accurate but still just a losers mentality when it comes to overcoming an obstacle. 

2 hours ago, Gregmal said:

Found White Lotus to actually be quite entertaining. Only 6 episodes. Definitely does a good job of highlighting the world we live in. Folks with everything still find ways to manufacture problems for themselves and be petty and unappreciative and folks on the bottom just seem to go through life thinking the world is out to get them and that its everyone else's fault. The latter perspective probably being somewhat accurate but still just a losers mentality when it comes to overcoming an obstacle. 

Agreed. It’s one of those shows where you hate almost every character, but still find it funny and entertaining.  The ending was completely unexpected.

10 hours ago, UK said:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3553976/

Funny, serious, especially for those who have kids:)

Yes, I like this one a lot.

“Little Miss Sunshine” is similar and also very watchable.

I m currently watching  “Atypical” on Netflix. It’s a very well scripted show about an autistic adolescent teenage kid and his family. Very funny, Imo.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atypical

8 hours ago, Spekulatius said:

I m currently watching  “Atypical” on Netflix. It’s a very well scripted show about an autistic adolescent teenage kid and his family. Very funny, Imo.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atypical

We really liked Atypial. The last season was meh (felt like writers lost focus and had too many stories they tried to develop) but overall very solid. 

On 8/13/2021 at 9:14 AM, nwoodman said:

Spent a couple of hours watching the latest offerings from Apple TV+ on yet another night in COVID lockdown .  Ted Lasso Season 2 awesome as usual.  Mr Corman, quirky and worth a watch.  However, Coda, which was the good wife’s pick was a standout. Engaging with enough laugh out loud moments that I would watch it again.  

Watched CODA and loved it, Very engaging feel good story.

It also reminded me to download Joni Mitchell albums from Amazon music and listen to them again.

On a side note, why have the Canadians so many of the best folk music songwriters: Joni Mitchell (not just folk, but that’s how she started), Gordon Lightfoot, Bruce Cockburn, Leonard Cohen, Neil Young, Loreena McKinnet etc.

47 minutes ago, Spekulatius said:

Watched CODA and loved it, Very engaging feel good story.

It also reminded me to download Joni Mitchell albums from Amazon music and listen to them again.

On a side note, why have the Canadians so many of the best folk music songwriters: Joni Mitchell (not just folk, but that’s how she started), Gordon Lightfoot, Bruce Cockburn, Leonard Cohen, Neil Young, Loreena McKinnet etc.

and

665482300_cd67a8_721218e9515144b49e22bc4864de3119mv2.thumb.jpg.21143dcf7b9348033e5bb84e1551dbfb.jpg

19 minutes ago, DooDiligence said:

and

665482300_cd67a8_721218e9515144b49e22bc4864de3119mv2.thumb.jpg.21143dcf7b9348033e5bb84e1551dbfb.jpg

Rush isn't exactly folk. If Rush counts, we need to add Bryan Adams as well.

FWIW, I have never been that much of a Rush fan, but their late Drummer was the bomb. I watched some youtube videos from Neil Peart and it is unbelievable.

On another note, I also watch the Paul McCartney docu 3,2,1:

https://www.indiewire.com/2021/07/mccartney-321-trailer-paul-mccartney-hulu-1234649387/

I watched some episodes with my son (he plays piano and sax) as I try to get him to understand modern music history a bit and the Beatles.

I play stuff like Four Tops (Motown), Earth Wind and Fire (they have an awesome horn section), or Miles Davis "Blue" when he is with me in the car and he likes most of it.

16 minutes ago, Spekulatius said:

FWIW, I have never been that much of a Rush fan, but their late Drummer was the bomb. I watched some youtube videos from Neil Peart and it is unbelievable.

https://www.indiewire.com/2021/07/mccartney-321-trailer-paul-mccartney-hulu-1234649387/

I watched some episodes with my son (he plays piano and sax) as I try to get him to understand modern music history a bit and the Beatles.

I play stuff like Four Tops (Motown), Earth Wind and Fire (they have an awesome horn section), or Miles Davis "Blue" when he is with me in the car and he likes most of it.

Sorry, didn't realize this was folk related. 

I never appreciated the Beatles until I started learning how to play keyboard.

They knew nothing of music theory & yet they used damn near every element in a hugely diverse body of work.

Sir George Martin was classically trained and had a huge impact on them with his orchestral addition of strings, etc.

On 8/13/2021 at 9:14 AM, nwoodman said:

when you say Ted Lasso season 2 do you mean the first 5 episodes right? or am i missing something.

Enjoying "For All Mankind" currently (Apple TV) - alternate history about the space race. Netflix had a decent space one to "Away" which i enjoyed.

Am I alone in thinking Season 2 of Ted Lasso is a massive disappointment?  The crux of Season 1 was that everyone was in conflict - either conspiring against Ted or conspiring/fighting against each other.  But the moral was that Ted was underestimated and his optimism won out.

Where's the conflict in Season 2?  Everyone is happy and together.  Boring.   I thought they had set up the sports psychologist as the new X-factor to create friction and conflict - but so far, nothing.  Perhaps its coming, perhaps not.  So far its just saccharine-y fan service. (X-mas feel good, Roy Kent comes back as coach.... ya-da ya-da).

I guess they caught lightning in a bottle with the first season and can't repeat it.  One hit wonder.

wabuffo

Edited by wabuffo

16 minutes ago, wabuffo said:

I guess they caught lightning in a bottle with the first season and can't repeat it.  One hit wonder.

Agree to a certain extent but we are still enjoying it.  Not even sure how I came across it, but I was reading an exchange on Twitter or similar where someone involved with the show was explaining/countering your exact criticism, and advised that this season builds.  Apparently the show was pitched with a three season arc, FWIW 

22 minutes ago, wabuffo said:

Am I alone in thinking Season 2 of Ted Lasso is a massive disappointment?  The crux of Season 1 was that everyone was in conflict - either conspiring against Ted or conspiring/fighting against each other.  But the moral was that Ted was underestimated and his optimism won out.

I'm still enjoying it but do agree it isn't as good as season one. as you say the lack of conflict is not as entertaining or interesting - and any conflict there is seems to get resolved quickly within an episode (jamie returning, dubai air). However I think they are just building up towards SPOLIER ALERT - ted/rebecca falling in love on bantr.

2 hours ago, Spekulatius said:

I also was never a Rush fan, but that Canadian band The Guess Who is a different story!

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/26/2021 at 9:49 AM, wabuffo said:

Where's the conflict in Season 2?  Everyone is happy and together.  Boring.   I thought they had set up the sports psychologist as the new X-factor to create friction and conflict - but so far, nothing.  Perhaps its coming, perhaps not.  So far its just saccharine-y fan service. (X-mas feel good, Roy Kent comes back as coach.... ya-da ya-da).

wabuffo

Yeah, that’s my take as well after watching a handful episodes from Season 2.  The script really declined in quality. I will spare me the rest, hoping for a better season 3.