Movies and TV shows (general recommendation thread)

Liberty

• 2 weeks later...

A big thumbs up for Gangs of London.  Just finished it.

British crime family TV show encompassing 10 1-hour episodes (warning - it has quite a bit of graphic violence).  The directing and writing is very good.  The acting is excellent.  The plot is a bit cheesy sometimes and always over-the-top.  Some of the fight scenes are right out of John Wick as in the one in the opening episode that takes place inside a London pub.  The show grabs you right from the opening shot (won't spoil it) and never lets go.

If you are into this kind of action/crime show, its extremely entertaining from beginning to end. 

Unfortunately - it might be hard to access since its on AMC+ in the US.  But worth it, IMHO.  One of my top five favorite TV shows of 2020.

wabuffo

Dark Waters was pretty good...if you like corporate intrigue, the law, etc.  Mark Ruffalo is terrific as a lawyer who takes on a corporate giant...very easy to give away what this is about if I say anything. 

Also for my Canadian compatriots, CBC's War of the Worlds is a terrific take on the old story.  Cheers!

Thanks for the recommendation. We watched it last night and loved it.

Harlan Ellison: Dreams with Sharp Teeth

on Amazon Prime.

---

“The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity.”

“In these days of widespread illiteracy, functional illiteracy... anything that keeps people stupid is a felony.”

“You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.”

“I will use big words from time to time, the meanings of which I may only vaguely perceive, in hopes such cupidity will send you scampering to your dictionary: I will call such behavior 'public service'.”

“Don't start an argument with somebody who has a microphone when you don't. They'll make you look like chopped liver.”

“Now begin in the middle, and later learn the beginning; the end will take care of itself.”

“Like a wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we were, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment.”

---

At one point he admits what's probably true about most celebrities; that you wouldn't want to live with him. It would ruin your idea of him. I paraphrase here, but that was the gist of it.

I recently re-signed up for Showtime to watch the last season of Shameless (I'm assuming everyone has seen this, if not go to Netflix and binge-watch it from S1E1 immediately).  I also started watching a show called "Your Honor" that 2 episodes in has got me hooked.

on Amazon Prime.

---

“In these days of widespread illiteracy, functional illiteracy... anything that keeps people stupid is a felony.”

“You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.”

“I will use big words from time to time, the meanings of which I may only vaguely perceive, in hopes such cupidity will send you scampering to your dictionary: I will call such behavior 'public service'.”

“Don't start an argument with somebody who has a microphone when you don't. They'll make you look like chopped liver.”

“Now begin in the middle, and later learn the beginning; the end will take care of itself.”

“Like a wind crying endlessly through the universe, Time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike. And all that we were, all that remains, is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment.”

---

At one point he admits what's probably true about most celebrities; that you wouldn't want to live with him. It would ruin your idea of him. I paraphrase here, but that was the gist of it.

Partially OT:

Harlan Ellison is (in)famous in writing long personal and philosophical introductions/prefaces to his books. I've recently read his 3 (yes, 3) prefaces to a single book spanning from the 1960s to 2000s that are quite relevant to today's political situation and events. For anyone interested, this: https://smile.amazon.com/Paingod-Other-Delusions-Harlan-Ellison-ebook/dp/B00J90EMRY/ref=sr_1_9?crid=34ZWO87GZAY1&dchild=1&keywords=harlan+ellison&qid=1608047822&sprefix=harlan+ell%2Caps%2C185&sr=8-9 ( Kindle edition has 3 prefaces, paper editions may vary ). Edit: Harlan actually also prefaces every single story in the collection with shorter or longer intro, so total number of prefaces in the book is 10 or so. :)

on Amazon Prime.

---

---

Partially OT:

Harlan Ellison is (in)famous in writing long personal and philosophical introductions/prefaces to his books. I've recently read his 3 (yes, 3) prefaces to a single book spanning from the 1960s to 2000s that are quite relevant to today's political situation and events. For anyone interested, this: https://smile.amazon.com/Paingod-Other-Delusions-Harlan-Ellison-ebook/dp/B00J90EMRY/ref=sr_1_9?crid=34ZWO87GZAY1&dchild=1&keywords=harlan+ellison&qid=1608047822&sprefix=harlan+ell%2Caps%2C185&sr=8-9 ( Kindle edition has 3 prefaces, paper editions may vary ). Edit: Harlan actually also prefaces every single story in the collection with shorter or longer intro, so total number of prefaces in the book is 10 or so. :)

I'm not a big fan of his anger, but he doesn't try to rationalize it.

None of us are perfect and we'll put up with a lot of questionable behavior from others as long as there's a punch line. I like a lot of the things that get outlined in the documentary and have never read him so...

Finished the last episode of the Queen's Gambit last night. Really enjoyed it, I recommend it.

We started watching it this weekend and ended up watching all of it. Excellent.

If you're a chess fan I recommend agadmator's youtube channel.

Finished the last episode of the Queen's Gambit last night. Really enjoyed it, I recommend it.

We started watching it this weekend and ended up watching all of it. Excellent.

If you're a chess fan I recommend agadmator's youtube channel.

Thanks LC, I'll take a look.

I am a chess fan. I knew what the Queen's Gambit is. Member of the chess club in high school. A nerd, lol.

Signed up for the free trial of Apple TV to watch Greyhound. Tom Hanks brings his A game and it's a good, albeit hurried, snapshot of one encounter during the Battle of The Atlantic.

However, what I found on Apple TV and am absolutely loving is their alternate history For All Mankind. It's set in a theoretical world where the space race, primarily the Apollo program, continues on for years in an intense battle between the US and USSR with a rush to set up a permanent base on the moon. Awesome show and an interesting what if that stays within the realm of scientific possibility for the most part.

I watched Greyhound too. This is also basically an alternative history movie where all the German U-Boot commander collectively loose their mind.

Signed up for the free trial of Apple TV to watch Greyhound. Tom Hanks brings his A game and it's a good, albeit hurried, snapshot of one encounter during the Battle of The Atlantic.

However, what I found on Apple TV and am absolutely loving is their alternate history For All Mankind. It's set in a theoretical world where the space race, primarily the Apollo program, continues on for years in an intense battle between the US and USSR with a rush to set up a permanent base on the moon. Awesome show and an interesting what if that stays within the realm of scientific possibility for the most part.

I watched Greyhound too. This is also basically an alternative history movie where all the German U-Boot commander collectively loose their mind.

Tom Lasso is surprisingly good. Not a premise that interested me at all, but I heard enough good things about it from people who's taste I trust that I check it out, and both my wife and I really enjoyed it.

Enjoyed:

Christmas crossfire ( German film

Noir with a bit of a seasonal setting).

Imposters -  3 episodes in and the script and acting is pretty good

Bridgerton - nice production. Has a bit of a woke touch to it with all races equally represented, despite being a fictional setting in England late 19th century.

The Midnight Sky -yawn

• 2 weeks later...

Trying to get into some new shows I started watching Your Honor with Bryan Cranston. Big fan of some of his stuff and Showtime Ive found is top notch with premium series. It's horrible and sucks more than I could have imagined. Basically Death Sentence meets a low level crime drama with a lazy social justice message. Total letdown.

Tom Lasso is surprisingly good. Not a premise that interested me at all, but I heard enough good things about it from people who's taste I trust that I check it out, and both my wife and I really enjoyed it.

I started to watch To. lasso. it has some classical Yankee - Brit  hum out in it, but so far I like it.

The Expanse season 5 is pretty good, one of the best one actually. They drop one episode every week.

• 1 month later...

A thumbs up for "The Head" -- a series on HBOMax.  Its short - just six episodes.  I'm through four episodes and its very good if you like suspense/mysteries. 

Without giving away too much plot (and spoilers) - a small scientific team (10 people) is left behind on an Antarctic research base as the long winter night is about to begin (the six months of the year without any sun over the South Pole). 

When the spring comes and the summer commander and a small crew return to the base, they find the entire team that stayed behind either dead or missing.  The summer commander then goes about trying to piece together what happened and find the missing crew.

wabuffo

A thumbs up for "The Head" -- a series on HBOMax.  Its short - just six episodes.  I'm through four episodes and its very good if you like suspense/mysteries.

When one is two-thirds through a show that is thoroughly engaging, one wonders if the show will "stick the landing" at the end.  Well, this show really does! But you have to watch the show right to the end of the last episode until the closing credits.  ;)

As an aside, the hunger for shows to feed the streaming services is really showcasing the quality of international tv shows.  The cast for this one is very international.  But I love the way that characters interact in their own language (with subtitles of course).  When the summer crew arrives, I believe they are mostly Danes.  Of course they speak English to some of the characters who speak only English, but when two Danes interact with each other, they switch to Danish.  I don't know why, but I really approve of this approach.  This is just realistic and reflects what I would imagine would actually happen.  If this was an American show, everyone would speak English all the time.

Anyway - this TV reviewer gives this one a big thumbs up!

wabuffo