Movies and TV shows (general recommendation thread)

Liberty

Devs - Alex Garland on Hulu was really well done and worth a watch.

- A blend of tech and philosophy

Great show so far. I'd also recommend ZeroZeroZero (Prime)... similar feel to the movie Sicario.

Also, recently added to Netflix: WACO and The Last Dance.

I'll check it out, thanks

Traveling Salesman (2012) is also decent.

- about P vs NP and potential implications

- Has a very "indie" feel and can be found on YT for free.

Great show so far. I'd also recommend ZeroZeroZero (Prime)... similar feel to the movie Sicario.

I’m 3 episodes into ZeroZeroZero & it’s pretty intense.

Really good so far.

I hope it ends badly for all the main characters.

Really good so far.

My wife and I are watching "Little Fires Everywhere" on Hulu.  It's pretty good, but I absolutely hate every character.  I hope they all die in a fire at the end.

I recommend 'Waco'. Good mini-series. Saw it a few years ago and thought it deserved wider viewership, glad it's on Netflix now.

ZeroZeroZero seems intriguing. Adding it to the list, though no idea when I'll be able to watch (having young kids in this quarantine leaves you with less free time, not more..)

Really good so far.

My wife and I are watching "Little Fires Everywhere" on Hulu.  It's pretty good, but I absolutely hate every character.  I hope they all die in a fire at the end.

;D

I've had that one on my watchlist for a while.

I'll try it next.

I may have mentioned it before but Soundbreaking is a great series on the evolution of music technology & production.

If I remember right, you play?

Super inspirational!

At one point they discuss the popular "disco sucks" movement, which I bought into,

where synthesizers, vocoders & sampling were viewed as heretical.

Fast forward 30ish years & here I am with a Yamaha MOXF8 experimenting with features those guys could only dream of.

Really good so far.

;D

I've had that one on my watchlist for a while.

I'll try it next.

I may have mentioned it before but Soundbreaking is a great series on the evolution of music technology & production.

If I remember right, you play?

Super inspirational!

At one point they discuss the popular "disco sucks" movement, which I bought into,

where synthesizers, vocoders & sampling were viewed as heretical.

Fast forward 30ish years & here I am with a Yamaha MOXF8 experimenting with features those guys could only dream of.

Awesome.  I'll look for that one.  Thanks.  And I was exaggerating a little about Little Fires Everywhere.  I hope the youngest rebellious daughter Izzy survives, everyone else can die horribly though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Signed up for the free trial of Apple TV to watch Greyhound. Tom Hanks brings his A game and it's a good, albeit hurried, snapshot of one encounter during the Battle of The Atlantic.

However, what I found on Apple TV and am absolutely loving is their alternate history For All Mankind. It's set in a theoretical world where the space race, primarily the Apollo program, continues on for years in an intense battle between the US and USSR with a rush to set up a permanent base on the moon. Awesome show and an interesting what if that stays within the realm of scientific possibility for the most part.

Signed up for the free trial of Apple TV to watch Greyhound. Tom Hanks brings his A game and it's a good, albeit hurried, snapshot of one encounter during the Battle of The Atlantic.

However, what I found on Apple TV and am absolutely loving is their alternate history For All Mankind. It's set in a theoretical world where the space race, primarily the Apollo program, continues on for years in an intense battle between the US and USSR with a rush to set up a permanent base on the moon. Awesome show and an interesting what if that stays within the realm of scientific possibility for the most part.

Interesting.  Last year on the recommendation of a friend I read "The High Frontier: Human Colonies in Space" by Gerard K. O'Neill.  It is absolutely fascinating. It was written in the mid-1970s and was all about how we could build large human civilizations in space using then current technology.  Almost everything he goes over would be easier and cheaper today.  This book has me thoroughly convinced that Musk's Mars aspirations are a mistake.  The focus should be on large gravity ships in space, not throwing people down another gravity well.  I've heard that Jeff Bezos has read this book and that is the reason for Blue Origin.  There is so much we could be doing in space with today's technology that we are not doing.

EDIT:  https://www.businessinsider.com/jeff-bezos-space-exploration-plan-the-high-frontier-book-2019-10

Just watched episode 1 of Genius & it was very good.

https://youtu.be/SICLBlHizU

Episodes 2 & 3 are excellent as well.

Watching the way Einstein struggled, largely because of his rebellious nature, is inspirational.

Sometimes unconventional thought produces great things.

If you have ideas, you should pursue them regardless of what the so called experts say.

• 3 weeks later...

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri. 9/10

I saw that at the recommendation of a friend.

I thought it had some flashes of a really good movie, some really good scenes and characters, but that overall it didn't quite gel together and wasn't entirely satisfying.

I just watched this today and love it. It gels really well for me, the acting, characters, storyline and the soundtrack. I think it’s one of the best movies I watched lately.

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri. 9/10

I saw that at the recommendation of a friend.

I thought it had some flashes of a really good movie, some really good scenes and characters, but that overall it didn't quite gel together and wasn't entirely satisfying.

I just watched this today and love it. It gels really well for me, the acting, characters, storyline and the soundtrack. I think it’s one of the best movies I watched lately.

That's one movie i really liked too. Ordinary people are often extra-ordinary because they are multi-dimensional and justice often follows a tortuous path. It felt authentic and the cast was great overall too.

"Molly's Game" https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4209788

The movie is well made and might be interesting for poker players, investors, and overall wannabes.

IMO it's a total fantasy though. [spoilerS] The main character is guilty as a f&*k and totally whitewashed in the movie. So there's that.

I'd give it 7/10 overall, but ding it to 5/10 for the whitewashing fantasy.

I'm a little late on this one, but I can recommend the documentary series on Michael Jordan and the Bulls 'The Last Dance', and I don't even watch any sports. It was quite excellent.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8420184/

Currently watching 'The Innocence Files' (Netflix) with my wife, and so far it's quite good too.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11958922/

• 2 weeks later...

I'm about 2/3 of the way through "The Innocence Files" on Netflix, and I think everybody should watch it.

Well made and very interesting, but also important information about the real reliability of things like forensics experts, eye witnesses, etc, vs the perceived reliability (that people mostly get through TV and film and such).

I'm about 2/3 of the way through "The Innocence Files" on Netflix, and I think everybody should watch it.

Well made and very interesting, but also important information about the real reliability of things like forensics experts, eye witnesses, etc, vs the perceived reliability (that people mostly get through TV and film and such).

Agree 100%, I also highly recommend it. You might be interested in this Joe Rogan interview with Josh Dubin who is an Innocence Project Ambassador Advisor.  Great interview.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Trh7YWo2Bmo