Movies and TV shows (general recommendation thread)

Liberty

Something interesting i observed while watching Shetland.

I am used to watch North American police shows etc. so it was kind of odd to watch a police show where the policewomen/men were chasing bad guys without side arms or entering in a house (without guns) where you know there is a bad guy. The audience almost feels naked in those scenes with the cops having nothing to protect themselves.

Another observation is that in Shetland, it seems to be ok, apparently to walk into people's house, without them opening the door for you. Don't try that in NorthAmerica or elsewhere.

• 3 weeks later...

Watching Peacock NBC Winter Olympics via their Peacock streaming service. I have Peacock Premium (add supported ) for $4.99. I probably only keep it for one month for the Olympics alone, but it’s worth it.

I had the same subscription for the summer Olympics and the coverage was atrocious (too many brief summaries, commentaries but not showing the events). This time, for the Winter Olympics, the Peacock service does provide great coverage. 

I have always liked the Winter Olympics and can remember watching my first one in 1976 as a kid when I was sick with the flu.

At that time, the Russian and East German teams were cleaning up medals left and right. This was also the year when legend Ingmar Stenmark started to come in the spotlight.

Edited by Spekulatius

On 2/24/2021 at 9:57 PM, Xerxes said:

I CANNOT recommend Yellowstone enough ! (on Prime)

I like midwestern folks, my type of people, even though i have a liberal tilt

Ditto, kept brushing it off when folks recommended it but finally started watching this a few weeks back when we self quarantined prior to our 2nd kid. Just got to season 4. I also bought some warrants 🤔

5 hours ago, hasilp89 said:

Ditto, kept brushing it off when folks recommended it but finally started watching this a few weeks back when we self quarantined prior to our 2nd kid. Just got to season 4. I also bought some warrants 🤔

Contrary to some fans, I actually thought Yellowstone got better and better through the seasons.  Taylor Sheridan, the writer and producer, is a terrific actor himself and one hell of a rider!  The cast is terrific, and as improbable as some things are on the show, the writing and cast make it incredibly compelling.  A twisted cross between Bonanza and Goodfellas! 

Looking forward to the other spin-off "6666"...Sheridan bought the actual farm used in Season 4 for over $100M and it will be used for "6666" and other productions.  Cheers!

4 hours ago, Xerxes said:

Enjoy !!

There is also Yellowstone prequal. It is called "1883".

Have not seen it, but it powering fast through its first season.

It's pretty good...more of a conventional western...interesting for the hardcore Yellowstone fans to understand the backstory.  Doesn't have the dirty, twisted, scene-chewing script that Kelly Reilly (Beth Dutton) gets to deliver every week.  I can't believe she hasn't won any award nominations yet.  Cheers!

7 hours ago, Parsad said:

It's pretty good...more of a conventional western...interesting for the hardcore Yellowstone fans to understand the backstory.  Doesn't have the dirty, twisted, scene-chewing script that Kelly Reilly (Beth Dutton) gets to deliver every week.  I can't believe she hasn't won any award nominations yet.  Cheers!

May I ask how are you watching 666 or 1883 ?

Paramount+ is available in BC ?

On 2/8/2022 at 7:59 AM, Xerxes said:

May I ask how are you watching 666 or 1883 ?

Paramount+ is available in BC ?

Only saw the first two episodes of 1883...they were free on the Paramount channel available in Vancouver...not the same as Paramount+.  I'm hoping 6666 is available here on the regular Paramount channel or through Amazon Prime when it is released.  Cheers!

On 2/14/2022 at 8:41 AM, Pelagic said:

Anyone else really enjoy last night's episode of Billions? I found myself pausing it numerous times to take a look at the pop-up tables they added to it.

I've got like 14 episodes of Billions on my PVR...when they ended their season like 2 years ago, I ended up watching so many other series and they just kept automatically recording as the new season started.  Great show with some wonderful actors, and they get a lot of the Wall Street stuff correct!  Cheers!

34 minutes ago, Xerxes said:

I recommend The Last Dual by Riddly Scott (or is it duel). Always mixing up. 

available on Disney+

the movie has a really fun historical format that I think should be used more often. 

on different note. 

The Last Duel is on HBO+, not Disney+. Definitely not a Disney movie either (I liked it).

I very much look forward to Lord of the Rings. I very much hope they get this right.

12 minutes ago, Spekulatius said:

The Last Duel is on HBO+, not Disney+. Definitely not a Disney movie either (I liked it).

it is on Disney+. That is where I saw it. 

part of the 20th Century Fox library and movie pipeline that Iger acquired. That is how it ended up there. I hope to see House of Gucci also on Disney+ soon. 

1 hour ago, Xerxes said:

it is on Disney+. That is where I saw it. 

part of the 20th Century Fox library and movie pipeline that Iger acquired. That is how it ended up there. I hope to see House of Gucci also on Disney+ soon. 

I also see it on Disney+ albeit on the STAR portion.