How old are you?

rkbabang
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

• 9 years later...
On 12/18/2013 at 12:47 PM, rkbabang said:

I'm 41 and married with two kids.  My portfolio isn't small, but it isn't Ericopoly-sized yet either.

9 years ago. I wish I was still 41. Time flies.  😞  On the bright side my portfolio is larger than it was back then.

On 12/23/2013 at 6:17 AM, boilermaker75 said:

I'm 60, but I feel like I did when I was 30. I have always worked out an hour every day.

I’m 69 now. Interestingly, I had to get with the Boilermaker program starting about 7 years ago.

Lucky for me - I feel much younger than I did in my 50’s.

I’d actually call it the happiest period of my life.

Edited by cubsfan

Same here [, as what @rkbabang said above, and I have posted my age earlier in this topic upstream, now years ago], right now 64], with a huge thank you, for getting a lot of help over time to get less dumb by being an active CoBF member, by reading my fellow board members posts here on CoBF since March 13th 2013. The first three years here on CoBF I spent almost all my time online here on CoBF, reading the board all the way back to the moment, when Sanjeev [ @Parsad] folded the board out! Something like 100 posts from me [low quality, mostly, I may add] within the first three years.

My investment on that date [Paying the nominal CoBF registration fee, to get online access, later the Lady of The House joined too, as a matter of pure respect and decency for what Sanjeev [ @Parsad ] is providing to us all, ] is the best investment I've ever made, and there will never be a contender to beat that - It's simply impossible, for a cheapskate and whimp like me!

For the Lady of the House and I, we are actually at about 20 times what I started with back then, not only because of the content of CoBF [which for sure has mattered a lot], but also because all that shit I know about how to handle capital in a family with regard to taxes, gifts among generations, etc. 

We are both of pretty modest origins, I would say. The Lady of the House retired officially in 2015, and I personally haven't had a paid job since that year, too. Snowballing compounded. Works absolutely great. If "old" / former acquaintances approach me with the question : " John, What are you doing today?", my answer is : "Nothing." - It always triggers an interesting conversation!

Edited by John Hjorth

1 hour ago, cubsfan said:

I’m 69 now. Interestingly, I had to get with the Boilermaker program starting about 7 years ago.

Lucky for me - I feel much younger than I did in my 50’s.

I’d actually call it the happiest period of my life.

I had to get with the Boilermaker program starting about 7 years ago - can you share that if you dont mind ?

25 minutes ago, cubsfan said:

^^^ Now that is pretty damn awesome John!

The real joke here - or tragedy, or what ever you may chose to call it  , Mike [ @cubsfan ], is that I still have to work with my inner me , to become a better me, a less jerky me, also here on CoBF.

It's actually pretty embarrassing  for me here, now that I think about it.

Thinking further and deeper about it, I'm sure it's about I'm not getting kissed enough.  From here it spirals into circles : Who want to kiss an old jerky man?

8 minutes ago, John Hjorth said:

The real joke here - or tragedy, or what ever you may chose to call it  , Mike [ @cubsfan ], is that I still have to work with my inner me , to become a better me, a less jerky me, also here on CoBF.

It's actually pretty embarrassing  for me here, now that I think about it.

Thinking further and deeper about it, I'm sure it's about I'm not getting kissed enough.  From here it spirals into circles : Who want to kiss an old jerky man?

Oh no - don’t say that John 

if that’s the case , then I’m a lost cause!

Seriously, I consider you remarkably restrained and respectful. No change needed.

On 12/23/2013 at 7:17 AM, boilermaker75 said:

I'm 60, but I feel like I did when I was 30. I have always worked out an hour every day.

My words too at 60!  Now almost 70...I feel 70!  Did do a 28 mile moutain bike ride in Dupont State Forest NC this week though.  Back to the doc next week...again.

Edited by dealraker

48 minutes ago, rohitc99 said:

I had to get with the Boilermaker program starting about 7 years ago - can you share that if you dont mind ?

@rohitc99  Sure - it's pretty well laid out in this forum that was fairly active last year:

https://thecobf.com/forum/topic/19734-which-activities-in-life-brings-you-the-most-fun/

The discussion focused on physical activity. Lots of great comments about the benefits and what works for those of us that sit on their ass all day making money with our heads buried in screens...

My view, at about 7 years ago, was to wake up and get serious about myself:

https://youtu.be/xcsCxUW7LfU

Good luck.

31 minutes ago, John Hjorth said:

Thank you, Mike [ @cubsfan],

I appreciate the advice very much, to get back on top.

Perhaps I should add, that going totally berserk buying  Berkshire in the early days for me [and my familly] simply has been a life changing condition for my family and I. Talk to me about the psychology of averaraging up! - Those were the days of picking the B below 90!

23 minutes ago, John Hjorth said:

Perhaps I should add, that going totally berserk buying  Berkshire in the early days for me [and my familly] simply has been a life changing condition for my family and I. Talk to me about the psychology of averaraging up! - Those were the days of picking the B below 90!

isn’t that the truth. Sometimes the easiest thing is the hardest to do. 

62, but it's really about now being in my 2nd life-time risk window of opportunity (roughly 58-68). That second decade of reinvention and risk/reward behavior; enabled by paid off mortgages/debt, nephews/kids done with school &/or university, accumulated wealth/pension, time on hands, etc. Refreshing, as it is now the what I want to do, versus what I had to do to pay the bills.

No intention of retiring, but I have gotten a lot more predatory on the investment front. Back in my 20's I didn't have the investment expertise, investment experience, investment capital, fraud detection and bullshit filters that I have today; yet todays investment world is largely the same as it was back then, albeit with new wrappers. Then along comes both BTC and UBS/CS 😁

All about the reinvention, and not being married to doing the same thing over and over.

Good luck!

SD

Edited by SharperDingaan

3 hours ago, cubsfan said:

@rohitc99  Sure - it's pretty well laid out in this forum that was fairly active last year:

https://thecobf.com/forum/topic/19734-which-activities-in-life-brings-you-the-most-fun/

The discussion focused on physical activity. Lots of great comments about the benefits and what works for those of us that sit on their ass all day making money with our heads buried in screens...

My view, at about 7 years ago, was to wake up and get serious about myself:

https://youtu.be/xcsCxUW7LfU

Good luck.

thank you !

58, and looking to make the next 5 years the best 5 years. 

@John Hjorth , discovering this board (2003 for me) has been life changing in so many ways. Yes, slow and steady wins the race. Having the odd ringer helps. For you it has been Berkshire. For me it has been Fairfax (at three different times now over the past 20 years).

Thank you @Parsad.

I'm 70, but feel much younger because as I mentioned before, in this thread https://thecobf.com/forum/topic/19734-which-activities-in-life-brings-you-the-most-fun/, I try to work out at least an hour every day. My work outs are usually intense with intervals, Tae Kwon do, weights, etc. Different things on different days. 

I wish I knew more about nutrition when I was younger. I consumed too much sugar in my younger days, and I hope that doesn't come back to bite me. Sugar is probably the cause of most western diseases—type 2 diabetes, cardiovascular, and Alzheimers.

36. Every year I feel as though I am peaking, but continue to surprise myself. But life definitely is starting to sneak up on me. Guess it’s the mid life phase. Probably lived half my life already. Almost certainly lived my best overall years. Even my oldest son, nearly 7 now, I look at and it’s like “fuck, he s growing up”. See my parents starting to resemble old people which is weird. My friends and I complain about achy backs, knees, shoulders…old people shit lol. Start getting tired earlier in the evening than I used to in my 20s. So idk, but it’s indeed been part of my pivot over the last couple years to a less consuming investment style and more durable approach to allocating capital. Gotta enjoy what you have and make the most of it all. It’s great when money becomes a less integral part of that equation. 

35, still very much in the 'doing what I have to for money phase'. Fortunately a 9-5 management position is not such a hard life, having 2 small kids though, that is the hard part...😋

Going through the same things Greg, I used to play sports daily at high intensity without issues. Now my knees and ankles hurt after some football, shoulder hurts after weight lifting,... I am starting to consider golf 😅

Every year I think last years 'me' was a shitty investor. Mainly thanks to everything I keep learning here, thanks guys! 

Edited by Paarslaars

36 and skiing way more than I did in my 20s! A win for sure. Drinking less, partying less, but  still manage to have some fun. Slang pizzas at a show for a bunch of 20 year old wooks a few days ago, was a great time. The pizzeria is great, free concert tickets is fun 🙂

Definitely can’t do it back to back to back days anymore, though. Camping/fishing/hiking season is here, going to plan a few 14ers and spending a week later this month at “the secret spot”. Looking forward to that! 

I figure don’t fuck around too much, exercise a bit, keep doing stuff that excites me, don’t get someone pregnant, and I can maybe keep this train on the rails for another 30. 

66 , have done a multitude of sports thruout my life. Last competitive sport(started at 55) was ironman\open water swimming ( done poorly  I might add). No more competition (heart).

Currently:

Swimming, biking, kettlebells, rukking....currently am training for a 9 day wilderness hike in Yosemite.

Basic pescetarian diet low carb low sugar, no booze.

For me the key has always been some sort of combination of aerobic\high intensity, weightroom ,diet and a goal ( to get the juices flowing ). Its a constant struggle to keep the male ego in check but to be honest that's been much easier in my 60's. I've always surrounded myself with excellent athletes( no matter the sport) who are much, much better than me and keep me motivated.

Stretching ,foam roller .some type of lacrosse ball and occasional massage\pt keeps my old carcass afloat.

56 minutes ago, Ulti said:

66 , have done a multitude of sports thruout my life. Last competitive sport(started at 55) was ironman\open water swimming ( done poorly  I might add). No more competition (heart).

Currently:

Swimming, biking, kettlebells, rukking....currently am training for a 9 day wilderness hike in Yosemite.

Basic pescetarian diet low carb low sugar, no booze.

For me the key has always been some sort of combination of aerobic\high intensity, weightroom ,diet and a goal ( to get the juices flowing ). Its a constant struggle to keep the male ego in check but to be honest that's been much easier in my 60's. I've always surrounded myself with excellent athletes( no matter the sport) who are much, much better than me and keep me motivated.

Stretching ,foam roller .some type of lacrosse ball and occasional massage\pt keeps my old carcass afloat.

As in investing, models lived successfully before me are what I try to mimic.  The excesses, in this case exercise obsessions, isn't one that I've seen work well for the majority beginning in the 60's.  I moderated, ain't it awful.  Actually it is a blast to do less intense or time and feel like it is plenty.

8 minutes ago, dealraker said:

As in investing, models lived successfully before me are what I try to mimic.  The excesses, in this case exercise obsessions, isn't one that I've seen work well for the majority beginning in the 60's.  I moderated, ain't it awful.  Actually it is a blast to do less intense or time and feel like it is plenty.

Totally agree....As is investing, there are many ways "to skin the cat ." Low impact, aerobic in zone 1-2 heart rate ( that is specifically for you ), lighter weights etc. The whole goal at this age is to stay out of the Dr.'s office,hospital, nursing home etc as long as possible and enjoy life.