what are you selling today?

muscleman

42 minutes ago, Luca said:

Is a mistake honestly! Fairfax is more than half of my portfolio now and i wont even think about trimming at current valuation

You're probably right, but planning to lighten up at a certain multiple and then not doing it  is what?

Anyway, I don't think it was a bad moment to reduce concentration risk, and I still have loads.

image.thumb.png.01d8a7e5d419af690cd46e02d2396a7f.png

14 minutes ago, backtothebeach said:

You're probably right, but planning to lighten up at a certain multiple and then not doing it  is what?

IMO Fairfax looks great from current valuation over next 10 years and i cant find much that looks as good, in what are you investing the proceeds?

14 minutes ago, backtothebeach said:

Anyway, I don't think it was a bad moment to reduce concentration risk, and I still have loads.

image.thumb.png.01d8a7e5d419af690cd46e02d2396a7f.png

17 minutes ago, Luca said:

IMO Fairfax looks great from current valuation over next 10 years and i cant find much that looks as good, in what are you investing the proceeds?

Undecided. Probably just leave it in cash for a while earning interest, as collateral for short puts that may be assigned. For example a while ago when I needed cash (to buy more FFH!) I switched STLC.TO stock to short ITM puts, which may be assigned at some point.

• Like 1

On 1/26/2024 at 4:12 PM, backtothebeach said:

Selling 1/6 of my irresponsibly overweight FFH.TO, sniff.

Months ago I planned to lighten up once it hit 1.1 * BV. I think it is pretty close to that on soon to be reported BV.

Trying to be prudent, but feels like leaving money on the table.

Bought it back 1% higher. Fuck. i suppose it was a good test to know if I would still buy my position today.

1 hour ago, WayWardCloud said:

What changed your mind?

Ultimately the feeling that I was possibly cutting a long term compounder short without a really valid reason. Risking a huge opportunity cost long term versus risking a little more downside.

A couple of posts on the Fairfax 2024 thread helped.

19 hours ago, backtothebeach said:

Ultimately the feeling that I was possibly cutting a long term compounder short without a really valid reason. Risking a huge opportunity cost long term versus risking a little more downside.

A couple of posts on the Fairfax 2024 thread helped.

One of the Ten Commandments of Trading, which at its core, is what every SELL decision is, is to never sell a 52 week high. 

31 minutes ago, Gregmal said:

One of the Ten Commandments of Trading, which at its core, is what every SELL decision is, is to never sell a 52 week high. 

I just violated it - I sold my HCA

I trimmed a few share of HHH which I still think are undervalued but I'm losing patience with it. I had sold out of it completely before the pandemic and jumped back in when they did a capital raise.  I have added from $43 - $100, but I'm less than thrilled at some managements bid ideas (a minor league baseball team, a celebrity chef chain restaurant, a seaport museum etc). 

It's been four years of my current holding and the only reason I don't sell it completely is that spinning off the seaport and entertainment assets into a different company actually sounds like a great idea and might move the needle. 

Trimmed a few shares of GOOG in my retirement account and bought a little OXY and TV.  I placed a limit order on Fairfax India after the dip yesterday but I didn't get a fill 😞 

I was  tempted to trim to HHH, but I think I'll wait for after the spinoff which should allow me to sell the part I never liked in the first place and keep the good part. 

3 minutes ago, Dinar said:

Why?  Thank you.

I only owned it as a trade. I bought the dip on the short report last week and am taking my profits now.

I will never own it as a long term hold, because I don't trust management. I get that's not the consensus opinion on this board (and the last couple of years have been good). But after they had Fairfax India effectively borrow money from Omers at a high rate along with giving them a free upside option on their best asset (the airport) in exchange for getting a mark to charge fees with I'll never trust them. 

All that said, the short report was obviously opportunistic so it was some easy short term money to pick up. Was able to get a nice round-trip on nearly a 10% position.