What are you buying today?

LowIQinvestor

I am overweight in real estate and although I think it's underpriced in the market, I'm trimming little by little and adding to defensive positions. Sold off a little in another position and added to PBF and IPI on the dip today. 

Congrats to the bunch of people buying GOOG not too long ago on that dip under $1100. This is why its baffling people can't outperform if actively managing. You should not be managing anyones money; not even your own, if you cant/couldnt see the merits of GOOG from an investment standpoint. From early June this is up near 20%....

Congratulations to you Gregmal - a good trade on Alphabet and bottom-ticked Howard Hughes

Congrats to the bunch of people buying GOOG not too long ago on that dip under $1100. This is why its baffling people can't outperform if actively managing. You should not be managing anyones money; not even your own, if you cant/couldnt see the merits of GOOG from an investment standpoint. From early June this is up near 20%....

ENB.  The delay with line 3 and the issue with line 5 will come to pass eventually.

I sold all my shares a few weeks ago around $35. I wish I had your optimism regarding line 3 and 5, the way things looks right now, there seems to be real risk they shut down those lines and will never get the replacement assets in operation.

Agreed, GOOG at a bit more than $1000 seemed like an obvious value - almost $50 in real earnings run rate or 20x earnings  for a 20% grower. I had some from the dips in 2018 and loaded up more, such that it became one of my largest positions on par with BRKB. I take this any day over these money loosing tech stocks that may not grow all that much faster and trade at mind boggling valuations with huge GAAP losses.

Same with FB last year. Of course even these things can go wrong, but odds are pretty good they those bets work out.

Agreed, GOOG at a bit more than $1000 seemed like an obvious value - almost $50 in real earnings run rate or 20x earnings  for a 20% grower. I had some from the dips in 2018 and loaded up more, such that it became one of my largest positions on par with BRKB. I take this any day over these money loosing tech stocks that may not grow all that much faster and trade at mind boggling valuations with huge GAAP losses.

Same with FB last year. Of course even these things can go wrong, but odds are pretty good they those bets work out.

Agreed. What sometimes messes me up is i get too cute with timing. When great companies get cheap you buy and patiently wait. Life is full of good lessons... :-)

Sold Verizon, bought Paypal

Whats the reason for the switch? You see more upside with PayPal?

Long term yes. Short term also capitulating to any bearish ideas. The original idea was to invest in some recession-resistant dividend paying companies with at least some pricing power. But growth has totally outperformed this idea.

Mostly I think I need to move towards a more passive (indexing) option, at least for the near term (3-5 yrs I'd guess). Over the last year I haven't really had the time/energy/pleasure to actually do any investment research, and the results reflect it.

Even worse, I haven't really cared... The reality is given my situation (age, net worth) my ROI is higher concentrating on my career than on my portfolio (ROI both in terms of amount and volatility of cash inflows).

Something about whole-assing one thing vs. half-assing two things  ;D ;D

Long term yes. Short term also capitulating to any bearish ideas. The original idea was to invest in some recession-resistant dividend paying companies with at least some pricing power. But growth has totally outperformed this idea.

Mostly I think I need to move towards a more passive (indexing) option, at least for the near term (3-5 yrs I'd guess). Over the last year I haven't really had the time/energy/pleasure to actually do any investment research, and the results reflect it.

Even worse, I haven't really cared... The reality is given my situation (age, net worth) my ROI is higher concentrating on my career than on my portfolio (ROI both in terms of amount and volatility of cash inflows).

Thanks for the response, always love a good Ron Swanson reference.

Its OK LC. Ill manage your money for 5/50 and show you how its done. I do for a lot of liberals.

Staying out of the politics section saves a lot of time. Even watching shows on Netflix is more productive.

Haha, thankfully for my lifestyle that’s definitely not the case. ;D

But I hope you keep compounding at that rate, I’m sure it would be useful! Gratefully I can put the time towards more leisurely uses.