What are you buying today?

LowIQinvestor

KTB

"Cowboy hat from Gucci, Wrangler on my booty."  I need to read that S-1, but I am lazy AF.

Posted a deep dive on this yesterday:

https://lowtideinvestments.com/2019/06/18/kontoor-brands/

Enjoyed reading that.  Thanks for sharing.  I suppose my similar, sort of opportunity cost for a KTB position might be CPRI or TPR.

Thank you for sharing your research. I have been working on KTB as well.

I was far from impressed with the Q1 results KTB released today. Not a total surprise that Q1 was weak though, since VF's Q1 earnings still included Kontoor.

KTB

"Cowboy hat from Gucci, Wrangler on my booty."  I need to read that S-1, but I am lazy AF.

Yes, KTB’s results were weak, a continuation of trends that  have been persistent since at lest 2014.

Enjoyed reading that.  Thanks for sharing.  I suppose my similar, sort of opportunity cost for a KTB position might be CPRI or TPR.

I was far from impressed with the Q1 results KTB released today. Not a total surprise that Q1 was weak though, since VF's Q1 earnings still included Kontoor.

I have looked quite a bit into this stock too, as it indeed looks cheap. I have decided against investing for a simple qualitative reason: If a very smart management team like VFC can’t fix KTB, what makes us think that standalone company can do better? This was not a business that was badly managed, imo. It is a business that even a very strong management team decided to get rid off. I don’t think I am smart enough to go against their judgement and it is quite likely that this business will continue to struggle. I would be more inclined to invest in KTB, if I consider VFC’s management subpar, but that far from being the case, imo.

Started small position in DF @ 1.01 ... looks like someone else had the same idea ;D

Dean Foods is an interesting company and would appreciate that you eventually share the outcome and underlying rationale in the DF thread.

FWIW, earlier this month, the CEO of Saputo commented that he looked at the company:

"There is more capacity than people drinking milk in the U.S., which would make an acquisition of Dean Foods a volume play rather than a value play". Right now, I'm drinking a glass of milk but I agree with Mr. Saputo.

KTB

Good example of negative operating leverage, wasn't it?  Someone should probably start a thread.

ABBV, IMBBY and IAU

Thanks

Lance

Lance, I always find your positions quite interesting. Do you use IAU as a hedge?

Hi Castanza - yes, I do.  I’m concerned that rates are headed lower, particularly between now and the election.  I already hold a large position in TLT and don’t want to add to it (will opportunistically take this off if rates continue lower).  Also I’m not comfortable shorting the indexes even though they seem overvalued here.  Thus, IAU it is.

Thanks

Lance

ABBV, IMBBY and IAU

Thanks

Lance

Lance, I always find your positions quite interesting. Do you use IAU as a hedge?

Hi Castanza - yes, I do.  I’m concerned that rates are headed lower, particularly between now and the election.  I already hold a large position in TLT and don’t want to add to it (will opportunistically take this off if rates continue lower).  Also I’m not comfortable shorting the indexes even though they seem overvalued here.  Thus, IAU it is.

Thanks

Lance

Thanks Lance, appreciate the response.

I'm nibbling on Fairfax India.  It's now at book value so you are getting the airport and some other nice assets at the prices that Prem paid for them.  The 1.5% management fee should be more than offset by the growth of these assets and we are well below the high water mark, so it will have to go up sharply before you pay the performance fee which has a 5% hurdle rate. 

I'm also adding small amounts to JOE when it dips below $16, TPHS when it dips below $4 and Seaspan when it dips below $9.50.

I managed to score some LAACZ units today for a good price. It happens from time to time.

Nice! Me too. Bought 2 more units at 2200. What price did you get yours at Spekulatius?

2 units at $2230 and 3 more at $2180. Both executions were from GTC orders. I also got a small execution earlier this year. I always have an GTC Order open as long as I have cash. It’s sort of like collecting. LOL

CVS and MSG

Picked up some MSG too this AM at~$271. I am not sure what caused the sudden downdraft , but noticed that MSGN is doing even worse, is this team related?

The Brooklyn Nets just signed a few super stars that will likely draw crowds there. Could possibly have something to do with that. I imagine, Durant and Irving will draw quite the crown in NY. It's been awhile since there was a true NBA superstar in the city. That being said, I'm long MSG. The Knicks are too iconic and so is the stadium. MSG is to America what the Colosseum was to Rome.

https://gothamist.com/2019/07/01/kevin_durant_kyrie_irving_headed_to.php

CVS and MSG

Picked up some MSG too this AM at~$271. I am not sure what caused the sudden downdraft , but noticed that MSGN is doing even worse, is this team related?

I added MSGN in two slugs this am at 19.5 and 19.2, adding to my existing position. Knicks whiff on free agents is why they’re down. Dolan looks like an even bigger idiots after his February boasting. Fans are pissed. Hopefully this puts Jim over the edge and he sells the Knicks.