What are you buying today?

LowIQinvestor

On 2/20/2024 at 10:35 PM, lnofeisone said:

Starters in INTC and COF. 

Interesting, my worry with intel is that they won't be competitive enough in the foundry business cost wise and experience wise, have lagged in CPU/GPU performance and lost data center revenue etc...what do you see here?

28 minutes ago, Luca said:

Interesting, my worry with intel is that they won't be competitive enough in the foundry business cost wise and experience wise, have lagged in CPU/GPU performance and lost data center revenue etc...what do you see here?

I think what you are buying today is an average-priced enterprise with 3 embedded potential catalysts: 1) IFS, 2) Mobile Eye, and 3) Network and Edge group. 

Getting one of these right will be transformational. Throw in Gov't loan/grant/support and I think the odds are heavily tilted in INTC's favor. 

18 minutes ago, lnofeisone said:

I think what you are buying today is an average-priced enterprise with 3 embedded potential catalysts: 1) IFS, 2) Mobile Eye, and 3) Network and Edge group. 

Getting one of these right will be transformational. Throw in Gov't loan/grant/support and I think the odds are heavily tilted in INTC's favor. 

Thank you for sharing

On 2/20/2024 at 9:37 AM, lnofeisone said:

This is what I was curious about too. OZ hinges around investment and holding for deferral purposes. So how would that work if one buys OZ and then sells OZ. Is that the same as selling holdings in OZ triggering tax events? What if OZ itself sells something, does that mean a tax event triggered? 

A sale or other disposal of shares by you is called an inclusion event, which is treated as an exact reversal of the deduction you receive when you buy it. In my case I am deferring short-term capital gains, so at the end of 2026 when OZ rules sunset, or whenever I sell it, I would have a short-term capital gain again as of that new date. You don't have to pay back interest and penalties like you underpaid taxes for the year of the original gain. If you bought and sold the same day or something just to try to push your tax bill out a year that would likely be quashed in an audit as a sham transaction, but if you simply bought because it traded at a huge discount and sold when that discount narrowed I would think that would be easily defensible. That's what I have done in the past and may likely do again since the stock is bouncing back nicely, but luckily I haven't been audited yet.

The entity is a partnership so all activity, including sales of assets, flows out to you on a k-1. 

@ArminvanBuyout Spot and Coupang both have fanatic founder/owner/operators. Both are dominant franchises very hard to disrupt. Both obsessed with the consumer experience.  Its unclear in both situations how they will use their platform to achieve real margins so they are (Spot was at $100) priced with some justifiable skepticism. Imo, Ek and Bom will create the levers to tune the platforms to become fcf machines. They have both built remarkable services which have become verbs in consumers lives. If they dont, the downside seems priced in. If they can move the businesses into harvest mode, the stocks will do great. Ek and Bom are unicorn entrepreneurs in their prime who will probably win. I love busted IPOs where the business is getting better but the stock is going nowhere.

Edited by Cod Liver Oil

22 hours ago, Castanza said:

NNI, MAA, AIRC, JOE

@Lance What do you like about UMH? 96% FFO already utilized for payout with not much room for growth.

Hi Castanza - not much.  It's part of a basket of second rate residential plays that I've acquired (AAT, AIRC, ELME and UDR), which I'll likley sell on any moves up. 

Thanks

Lance