What are you buying today?

LowIQinvestor

1 minute ago, formthirteen said:

Thanks. Seems like a good alternative to cash.

ya, I have a basket of floater prefs, where I've parked cash until a good idea comes along. I'm in the camp (probably wrong, lol) that rates are higher for longer, so these floaters are a good place to be. Incidentally, based on a $25 par, many of these prefs are 8% money for the issuer(s). So, if rates do stay higher for longer, maybe they take some of them out and issue lower rate prefs.

9 minutes ago, Saluki said:

Sold a few very small positions that I had, which I usually buy to remind me to look deeper into a company, and made some small adds to CPNG, NTDOY and ATEX.  

Was thinking about whether you added on CPNG given the down day.   Looks like you are sizing this quite sizably.  Time to read up the thread

3 minutes ago, WFF said:

Was thinking about whether you added on CPNG given the down day.   Looks like you are sizing this quite sizably.  Time to read up the thread

CPNG a 2.5% position currently, and I wouldn't mind taking it to 3 or 4 at the right price.  NTDOY is just under 3% and ATEX is 1% now and I'm taking it to 2%.  I'm trying not to touch my biggest positions BRK (20%) GOOG (~20%) JOE (~15%) and FRFHF (10%).  

I don't discuss the bigger positions as much as the smaller positions because I've already done all the research and decided to hold them for a long time, so there is nothing to discuss. 

I think it boils down to what is your circle of competence and risk aversion.  I like CPNG a lot, but I hate retail, so I don't know if I would ever go over a 5% initial position on it. I've held BRK and GOOG for over a decade so I wouldn't mind adding more even if they are big positions already.  ATEX (telecom) and JOE (florida real estate) might be in the too hard bucket for some people, but they aren't in mine. Other favorites on here have made people a lot of money, but are in my too hard bucket and always will be.  It would take years for me to learn about pharmaceuticals or biotech starting from scratch, but people can get rich on lots of things, so as my coach used to say "this isn't gymnastics, no one gives you extra points for doing things the hard way." 

7 hours ago, Saluki said:

CPNG a 2.5% position currently, and I wouldn't mind taking it to 3 or 4 at the right price.  NTDOY is just under 3% and ATEX is 1% now and I'm taking it to 2%.  I'm trying not to touch my biggest positions BRK (20%) GOOG (~20%) JOE (~15%) and FRFHF (10%).  

I don't discuss the bigger positions as much as the smaller positions because I've already done all the research and decided to hold them for a long time, so there is nothing to discuss. 

I think it boils down to what is your circle of competence and risk aversion.  I like CPNG a lot, but I hate retail, so I don't know if I would ever go over a 5% initial position on it. I've held BRK and GOOG for over a decade so I wouldn't mind adding more even if they are big positions already.  ATEX (telecom) and JOE (florida real estate) might be in the too hard bucket for some people, but they aren't in mine. Other favorites on here have made people a lot of money, but are in my too hard bucket and always will be.  It would take years for me to learn about pharmaceuticals or biotech starting from scratch, but people can get rich on lots of things, so as my coach used to say "this isn't gymnastics, no one gives you extra points for doing things the hard way." 

Thanks for the info!  Haven’t don’t much research on it, though I remember CPNG reach out for an opportunity before the IPO.  Wasn’t interested in moving so didn’t research.  Might be with some time to look into.  

Starter position in Saputo SAP.TO. In recent days it has dropped to my buy price of under C$26.

They have been working on a turnaround for the past 3 years. They think the benefits should start showing up in results beginning in the April to June quarter (Q2 of calendar 2024). Each quarter more tailwinds should flow to reported results. 

This company is pretty hated right now. The management team has been consistently over promising and under delivering for the past 5 years. 

The Saputo family controls the company. They will keep at it until the fix happens. The question is in 1H 2024 are investors going to get another rug pull? Or have financial results hit bottom and are now poised to move higher over 2024?

Edited by Viking

16 minutes ago, Gregmal said:

got a lead on Fanatics shares

Interesting someone else brought this to my attention and intro'd me to a rep from EquityZen who seem to be a running a liquidity process for Fanatics employees...~$60 per share.....without looking much at the business at all......it sure has all the hallmarks of some future dated IPO that will "pop" on the first day of trading.

30 minutes ago, Gregmal said:

More FRPH and finally got a lead on Fanatics shares. 

I'm fully invested right now, but starting a position in FRPH slowly as I get dividends or sell other very small positions that I was using a placeholder .  I read the entire COBF thread and realized that I had looked at it years ago when it was Florida Rock and while I was sucking my thumb the offer from Vulcan came in and I missed the boat 🥲  

6 minutes ago, changegonnacome said:

Interesting someone else brought this to my attention and intro'd me to a rep from EquityZen who seem to be a running a liquidity process for Fanatics employees...~$60 per share.....without looking much at the business at all......it sure has all the hallmarks of some future dated IPO that will "pop" on the first day of trading.

Yup. Small fund being put together so a few employees can pay taxes. 

6 minutes ago, Saluki said:

I'm fully invested right now, but starting a position in FRPH slowly as I get dividends or sell other very small positions that I was using a placeholder .  I read the entire COBF thread and realized that I had looked at it years ago when it was Florida Rock and while I was sucking my thumb the offer from Vulcan came in and I missed the boat 🥲  

Yea FRP you can just put in limit orders and call it a day. King of fat finger or random 4-5% volume induced dumps but is otherwise very stable and with the old buyback floor at $54 I’m fine moving my expected trading range from $54-60 to $58-65 given the fundamentals keep getting better.

16 minutes ago, changegonnacome said:

Is that like $29-30 Billion valuation or have the number of shares changed?