What are you buying today?

LowIQinvestor

Held my nose and added a very few shares of ARES. The valuation is high, but if the growth runway keeps up this can still be a great return over 5 years. Would look to build this up to a full position anywhere in the $50s but that looks unlikely. 

Edited by RedLion

Bought some of biotechnology company Amgen AMGN.  This company has performed stellar over the last 10, 20, 30 years. I don't fully understand the business but they seem to have a small tech moat.  It trades around 14x 2023 earnings , quite reasonable.  I've traded in and out of this one for over a decade and while it's not crazy cheap i think this is a good price and better than the alternatives I'm seeing. 

Also i continue to sell things, meta for instance and build up cash.  

Edited by no_free_lunch

On 2/9/2023 at 3:50 PM, CorpRaider said:

Nah, just Kyosaki.  I like the first few chapters of RD,PD and CF-Q.  Listened to the UHAL and EQC calls recently too, could be relevant.  EQC likes self storage and SFH.  Variant perception there.

Uhaul is a great company with an impressive moat, but I passed on it when I looked at it a few years ago because I don't trust the family.

This book is fascinating, by the way: 

https://www.amazon.com/Birthright-Murder-U-Haul-Family-Dynasty/dp/0688112552

The founder was a genius, but it looks like one of those things where it skips a generation.  He's a got more kids than you can count on both sets of fingers from several wives and they were all forming coalitions and trying to get control of the company.  After you read how they treated minority share holders in their own family, it doesn't give you a lot of confidence. 

I bought the current 30 year US treasury a 3.80% yield to add duration to the portfolio as it sell off a little bit. my experience from buying BBB corps last summer/fall is that I don't have the scale to mitigate the transaction costs in those and am probably better off owning duration via govvies. 

If in 1 year the yield is 4.80%, total return will approximate -12%. 

If in 1 year the yield is 2.80% total return will approximate +24% 

booooooring. 

Edited by thepupil

24 minutes ago, Saluki said:

Uhaul is a great company with an impressive moat, but I passed on it when I looked at it a few years ago because I don't trust the family.

The founder was a genius, but it looks like one of those things where it skips a generation.  He's a got more kids than you can count on both sets of fingers from several wives and they were all forming coalitions and trying to get control of the company.  After you read how they treated minority share holders in their own family, it doesn't give you a lot of confidence. 

Interesting.  Thank you. 

That lending club thing they have + Nevada corp has my spidey sense going off.

Edited by CorpRaider

2 hours ago, Saluki said:

Yeah, I bought and sold it after I watched a Fox interview with the current CEO and his two children on YouTube. 

1 hour ago, sleepydragon said:

23 minutes ago, sleepydragon said:

thanks for the link. I assume the last part was particularly polarizing. 

I haven't yet read that book, but have been working through A Noble Function - How Uhaul Moved America. This one is more about the initial early years of the company's founding. 

18 minutes ago, jfan said:

thanks for the link. I assume the last part was particularly polarizing. 

I haven't yet read that book, but have been working through A Noble Function - How Uhaul Moved America. This one is more about the initial early years of the company's founding. 

A Noble Function helps understand the founding of the company.  It was authorized by the family, so there is no mention of the dysfunctional family dynamics in there.  It's helpful to understand how they pulled ahead of all their mom and pop competitors making moving trailers like their in the post war era. It also goes into that weird lending club thing, if I remember correctly.  Basically, they couldn't get bank financing because of all the existing debt so they were being lent money by the franchisees who understood the business and some were getting like 15% returns or something.  

On 2/7/2023 at 8:13 PM, tnathan said:

Put on a pair trade  - short arkk (via SARK) and then bought DIA...Unless we really have a crazy run here I think this works out well. Does anyone disagree? Open to feedback!

Today is a day where one would really think your trade should be working (strong economic data -> high rates -> bad for long duration ARKK stuff) but price action is doing the opposite of what we would expect based on this. May be indicating the tech stuff just got too oversold. (I recently bought SMT which very similar to ARKK...trying to bottom feed).

Added to TV and SWBI using some money from stuff I trimmed yesterday. 

Added a small amount to NETI, which was down 6% today on no news (I plan to double it this year on the dips, then sell the half that I bought back when it was Scorpio Bulkers, to harvest the tax loss before year end while keeping the same position size).  

36 minutes ago, RedLion said:

New position in UNP. Been wanting to invest in the railroads for several years and been waiting for a good entry point. I feel like $200 is an OK entry point, but I will look for opportunities to add. 

Why UNP and not say CNI or CP?  (I am long CNI & CP, but not other rails)

27 minutes ago, Dinar said:

Why UNP and not say CNI or CP?  (I am long CNI & CP, but not other rails)

Because I feel like they’re both a little richer on valuation, but these 3 are the ones on my watch list. Would like to start a position in all three eventually, hopefully after a bigger pullback. 

should mention I’m not an expert at rails, so my game plan was to probably create a small basket and then tweak it over a period of years. This is my favorite way to learn a new sector. 

Edited by RedLion