Movies and TV shows (general recommendation thread)

Liberty

Guy Ritchie’s The Covenant looks pretty good as a movie anyways (putting politics aside). Now not sure why the director first name is in the movie title. 

Fan fact:  I was able to understand most of what the Afghan were saying in Darsi. Not everything. 

1 hour ago, Xerxes said:

Guy Ritchie’s The Covenant looks pretty good as a movie anyways (putting politics aside). Now not sure why the director first name is in the movie title. 

Fan fact:  I was able to understand most of what the Afghan were saying in Darsi. Not everything. 

Yeah, I was able to understand some of it as well.  I thought the movie was excellent.  Cheers!

13 minutes ago, formthirteen said:

The Killer will be a killer movie unlike 99% of movies released in recent years. "Brief sexuality" and "Netflix presents" makes me a bit sceptical though 🤨

Fassbender is one of the best actors of his generation.  Like Denzel or Neeson, he can make the most mundane things interesting...so I imagine it will be pretty good.  Cheers!

Just now, Parsad said:

Fassbender is one of the best actors of his generation.  Like Denzel or Neeson, he can make the most mundane things interesting...so I imagine it will be pretty good.  Cheers!

Plus it's directed by David Fincher...should be awesome!  Cheers!

The orville was good, especially season three. Also the new star trek with captain pike is good. The three body problem an award winning trilogy written by a chinese guy is coming to netflix soon, although I have little hope of their ability to bring it to the screen. I've read the foundation series by asimov and the apple tv version literally leaves out the most interesting parts. 

On 8/28/2023 at 10:36 PM, Parsad said:

Love him too!!

https://www.netflix.com/tudum/articles/live-to-100-secrets-of-the-blue-zones-documentary

I have been following this subject for many years.. This is an excellent summary of the findings of a healthy long and productive life. The author travels all over the world and has studied longevity in a variety of settings; and recently he tried to replicate this in a small USA town as well as explored Singapore society and government effort to have a healthier longer living population.

Netflix has two great docu series:

1) We are Newcastle United - about the transformation of the Newcastle Football Club into a top tier team (with Saudi money)

2) Zero Gravity - a documentary about Wayne Shorter and his role in modern Jazz

Both are extremely well made shows. I on,y watched one episode of both , but they are captivating and watching this Newcastle DOCU series you understand why rich owners like to own soccer teams or sports clubs in general.

https://www.bloomberg.com/en/news/thp/2023-09-08/hayao-miyazaki-invites-moviegoers-to-dream-with-him-one-last-time?srnd=premium-europe

“We are privileged enough to be living in a time where Mozart is composing symphonies,” the filmmaker Guillermo del Toro said Thursday, introducing the film's first screening outside Japan. “Miyazaki san is a master of that stature.” Miyazaki, who didn't travel to Toronto, has himself lampooned his inability to fully step away. In journal excerpts shared in the film's press notes, Miyazaki writes: “There’s nothing more pathetic than telling the world you’ll retire because of your age, then making another comeback.” “Doesn’t an elderly person deluding themself that they’re still capable, despite their geriatric forgetfulness, prove that they’re past their best?" he adds. "You bet it does.”

On 9/4/2023 at 6:44 PM, Spekulatius said:

Netflix has two great docu series:

1) We are Newcastle United - about the transformation of the Newcastle Football Club into a top tier team (with Saudi money)

2) Zero Gravity - a documentary about Wayne Shorter and his role in modern Jazz

Both are extremely well made shows. I on,y watched one episode of both , but they are captivating and watching this Newcastle DOCU series you understand why rich owners like to own soccer teams or sports clubs in general.

If you like the Newcastle one you might like Sunderland Til I Die which is a similar documentary but a team struggling with relegation. 

I've been watching 'Big Little Lies', I found season one was really good.

There's a bunch of football 'behind the scenes/turn around' type docos around.

'Sunderland til I Die' is good as mentioned above.

'Three year Plan' is another which begins with Queens Park Rangers being bought out of essentially bankruptcy by Bernie Eccelstone (of f1 fame) and Flavio Briatore (of F1 infamy - banned for the 2008 'crashgate' fiasco) amongst others.

Edited by ACooke

That is interesting. Ashoka Ep 5 specifically is being shown also in theatre. As well as Disney+. Too bad no Canadian location. 

Non SW fans and it-is-cool-to-complain-about-Disney will of course find a way to complain about this. 

https://www.sportskeeda.com/amp/pop-culture/complete-list-u-s-theaters-showing-ahsoka-episode-5-full-roster

• Boston, MA - AMC Assembly Row 12, September 12 at 8:00 pm
  • Chicago, IL - AMC Showplace Village Crossing 18, September 12 at 7:00 pm
  • Dallas, TX - AMC NorthPark 15 IMAX, September 12 at 7:00 pm
  • Los Angeles, CA - AMC The Grove 14, September 12 at 5:00 pm
  • New York, NY - AMC Empire 25 IMAX, September 12 at 8:00 pm
  • Orlando, FL - AMC Disney Spth ings 24 with Dine-in Theaters, September 12 at 8:00 pm
  • Philadelphia, PA - AMC Neshaminy 24, September 12 at 8:00 pm
  • San Francisco, CA - AMC Bay Street 16, September 12 at 5:00pm
  • Seattle, WA - AMC Loews Alderwood Mall 16, September 12 at 5:00 pm
  • Washington, DC - AMC Tysons Corner 16, September 12 at 8:00 pm

On 9/10/2023 at 7:41 PM, Xerxes said:

That is interesting. Ashoka Ep 5 specifically is being shown also in theatre. As well as Disney+. Too bad no Canadian location. 

Non SW fans and it-is-cool-to-complain-about-Disney will of course find a way to complain about this. 

https://www.sportskeeda.com/amp/pop-culture/complete-list-u-s-theaters-showing-ahsoka-episode-5-full-roster

• Boston, MA - AMC Assembly Row 12, September 12 at 8:00 pm
  • Chicago, IL - AMC Showplace Village Crossing 18, September 12 at 7:00 pm
  • Dallas, TX - AMC NorthPark 15 IMAX, September 12 at 7:00 pm
  • Los Angeles, CA - AMC The Grove 14, September 12 at 5:00 pm
  • New York, NY - AMC Empire 25 IMAX, September 12 at 8:00 pm
  • Orlando, FL - AMC Disney Spth ings 24 with Dine-in Theaters, September 12 at 8:00 pm
  • Philadelphia, PA - AMC Neshaminy 24, September 12 at 8:00 pm
  • San Francisco, CA - AMC Bay Street 16, September 12 at 5:00pm
  • Seattle, WA - AMC Loews Alderwood Mall 16, September 12 at 5:00 pm
  • Washington, DC - AMC Tysons Corner 16, September 12 at 8:00 pm

I'm in neither category yet I'm going to complain.  No New Hampshire location?   I'm not going to drive all the way into Boston on a Tuesday night to watch a TV show even if it is SW.  I'll be watching on Dis+ though, great show so far.

16 hours ago, rkbabang said:

I'm in neither category yet I'm going to complain.  No New Hampshire location?   I'm not going to drive all the way into Boston on a Tuesday night to watch a TV show even if it is SW.  I'll be watching on Dis+ though, great show so far.

indeed. 
looks like we didn’t get to see the good Admiral yet but we got Gandalf the White and imagery from the siege of mandalore.  

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished watching a show on HBO's "MAX" called "Gangs Of London".  Excellent show, but be warned there is a lot of graphic violence and torture type scenes (more graphic than most cable TV shows).  There are 2 seasons and the ending left open the possibility of another season.