Movies and TV shows (general recommendation thread)

Liberty

On 10/20/2022 at 1:25 PM, Spekulatius said:

New trailer is out:

Looks very promising:

On my visit to Germany, i learned that my Great grandfather served on the western front in the German army.

When hew was conscripted, he signed up on a hunch as cook (he could not cook at all) and got accepted. He never really had to fight much and barely fired a shot. Not something were you can earn a lot of medals with, but he got home whole.

That's one of the "Artillery" pieces  he probably worked with (Gulasch kanone). No army can operate with this sort of machinery.

gulaschkanone.jpg

just saw this new trailer. I like the bit with Marchel Foch in his carriage (decades later destroyed by Hitler). I presume the overexcited German general is that of Ludendorff. 

Gone are the days where depicted German or French soldiers in war movies speak accented English. 

11 minutes ago, DooDiligence said:

Is this book written in an academic style or is it more of a dramatized version like Band of Brothers? I couldn’t tell from the reviews.

The book is an anti war classic written by Erich Maria Remarque written in 1928 about a somewhat stylized experience of a German conscript in WW1. It's one of those books that you read in school or later when you grow up in Germany.

Neither the book nor the movie has a Band of Brother vibe.

Edited by Spekulatius

Just now, Spekulatius said:

The book is an anti war classic written by Erich Maria Remarque written in 1928 about a somewhat stylized experience of a German conscript in WW1. It's one of those books that you read in school or later when you grow up in Germany.

Neither the book nor the movie has a band of Brother vibe.

I believe it is a must read not only in Germany, but more like in whole Europe? I really liked it and his other books, and especially Black Obelisk, which is more fun and is about those hyperinfliationary years after WW1. This book together with similar real world expierences is basically is the reason I tend to avoid for a long term fixed income investmens:)

I watched all quiet on the western front last night. It was very well done and nice to see the German side. 

Not that it needs to be said but war is a terrifying and ultimately shameful part of the human condition. 

One day humans will evolve to peace but it could very well be many millennia away. 

there is a scene where they reuse the fallen soldiers uniforms and the industrial scale of the repurposing really hits home. It gives the impression that boots and cloth had a greater value than the young lives ended. 

It is tragic stuff but I can’t look away. I have been captivated by war since I was in grade school but fully against it in every manner.

my grandfather was a pow in France during the Spanish civil war. He spend two years living off rats and gruel while being beaten for his political views. He was a tall man but just over 100 lbs when sent home. 

Humans are unique in their cruelty. 

3 hours ago, Spekulatius said:

Neither the book nor the movie has a Band of Brother vibe.

Oh, I thought you were talking about The Forgotten Battle.

• 2 weeks later...

I recently sign up back on Netflix after 8 months of abcense, but cancelled Crave (HBO) now that the House of Dragon is finished.

I signed up for the ad-suported version of Netflix and have a backlog to burn through. I randomely watched different shows from that backlog, some thoughts:

Crown -- as captivating as always, at episode 3 now.

All Quiet on Western Front -- watched the first half, was somewhat bored. It is a good story, the two stories going in parallel. The top brass eating like pigs, as normal people just get killed. Will finish it.

Peaky Blinders -- the new season is a complete disaster. I did learn in the first episode that there is French own island next to New Foundland. That was interesting.

Ozark -- an ok show to watch; grinding slowly

This show got me intersted (have not watched it yet) 

Taboo (2017 TV series) - Wikipedia with Tom Hardy, related to the East India Company

The People vs Larry Flynt

A provocative look into the battle for free speech. Seems timely and there are some classic moments that will piss some people off and make others think. Flynt was a self professed sleaze but his battle against hypocrisy was righteous.

edit: I'm amazed that Courtney Love can actually act, but apparently she can.

Edited by DooDiligence

4 hours ago, tooskinneejs said:

I just watched a documentary on Netflix titled "Trust No One - The Hunt for the Crypto King." It was a well done story on Gerry Cotten, the fraudster behind crypto exchange Quadriga.  Did he really die in India?  Will we ever know?

There's a great podcast series covering this called 'Exit Scam'.

On 11/19/2022 at 8:14 AM, DooDiligence said:

The People vs Larry Flynt

A provocative look into the battle for free speech. Seems timely and there are some classic moments that will piss some people off and make others think. Flynt was a self professed sleaze but his battle against hypocrisy was righteous.

edit: I'm amazed that Courtney Love can actually act, but apparently she can.

It is one of my favourite movies, used to watch it every second year or so when was younger:)

It remainds me somehow another my favourite and perhaps also always timely movie:)

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/5/2022 at 7:26 AM, nwoodman said:

Call out for Bad Sisters on Apple TV+.  one of the best shows of the year if you are into slightly dark, Irish humour.  Has a four weddings and a funeral vibe.  Claes Bang, as Jean Paul is diabolical but a great performance .  I think this will be up for multiple awards.

Spoiler alert in the guardian review below , as the opening scene  sets the tone and is worth watching without any preconceptions.  Episode one is good enough to watch again, which I have 👍

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2022/aug/19/bad-sisters-review-sharon-horgan-pitch-black-comedy-is-murderously-good

We just finished this limited series and it was great.  It has to be great writing when you are hoping for someone to get killed.

6 hours ago, tooskinneejs said:

We just finished this limited series and it was great.  It has to be great writing when you are hoping for someone to get killed.

Good one.  Interesting to see Apple has signed up for second season of Bad Sisters. 

https://bgr.com/entertainment/apple-tv-plus-just-renewed-bad-sisters-one-of-its-best-reviewed-shows/

42 minutes ago, Xerxes said:

If you live long enough, you can take another go at Indiana Jones

As a kid I watched Last Crusade more times than I can count, as well as Raiders of the Lost Ark...Indiana Jones was my chosen career field as a kid...some kids wanted to be pro athletes, astronauts...I wanted to be Indiana Jones, running through the woods with a Fedora I got at Goodwill and a cheap plastic whip that I got from the local county fair...

Temple of Doom scared me too much, pulling beating hearts out of chests etc...

The Crystal Skull IMO was garbage, and this one looks like they are wringing the washcloth again, milking the franchise for one more time before Indy is in a wheelchair in the old folks home, kind of a shame. 

I would rather have them revitalize the franchise with a new Indy and better writing, less special effects, but maybe that just me. 

9 hours ago, Blugolds11 said:

As a kid I watched Last Crusade more times than I can count, as well as Raiders of the Lost Ark...Indiana Jones was my chosen career field as a kid...some kids wanted to be pro athletes, astronauts...I wanted to be Indiana Jones, running through the woods with a Fedora I got at Goodwill and a cheap plastic whip that I got from the local county fair...

Temple of Doom scared me too much, pulling beating hearts out of chests etc...

The Crystal Skull IMO was garbage, and this one looks like they are wringing the washcloth again, milking the franchise for one more time before Indy is in a wheelchair in the old folks home, kind of a shame. 

I would rather have them revitalize the franchise with a new Indy and better writing, less special effects, but maybe that just me. 

Old professors have a lot of wisdom to dispense 😉

16 minutes ago, Spekulatius said:

My favorite Indy scene.

Applies to investing as well.

I knew this was the scene when I saw the message in the thread before I even saw what you posted..when I opened the thread I chuckled.

I remember the mini-series, my mom taped it on VHS off the TV for me as a kid…was pretty good if I remember, but that was a long time ago and I haven’t seen it since, they also had Young Indy comic books..

Fairly certain I could repeat word for word with 90% accuracy Last Crusade and Raiders movies, still to this day.

Also probably contributed to how I feel about snakes..I was on my belly in a crawl space under a buddies cabin last summer doing some plumbing and electrical for him...dirt floor under me, 6” above my head were the floor joist, tight quarters..and you guessed it…snakes…literally said ”why’d it have to be snakes”…I didnt have a kerosene sprayer with me and they weren’t quite asps (ball of garters)..but they mise well have been, the sentiment was the same…