Movies and TV shows (general recommendation thread)

Liberty

1 hour ago, Xerxes said:

Finished watching Oppenheimer. 

Cannot believe I spend 3 hours on a movie with “security clearance authorization” as a plot point. 

Yeah, the actors were great, but the movie focused too much on Oppenheimer's life and persecution, than what most people expected...like the Manhattan Project!  Huge press about watching it on IMAX, yet the sequences that would have been great in IMAX only made up maybe 10 minutes of the 3 hour movie!  Cheers!

2 hours ago, Parsad said:

Yeah, the actors were great, but the movie focused too much on Oppenheimer's life and persecution, than what most people expected...like the Manhattan Project!  Huge press about watching it on IMAX, yet the sequences that would have been great in IMAX only made up maybe 10 minutes of the 3 hour movie!  Cheers!

Did you end up watching it in 70mm Imax? 

On 7/23/2023 at 2:54 AM, Pelagic said:

Silo on AppleTV is great, a dystopian detective series set in a fallout shelter.

Silo's based on a book series which we're really good.

I didn't love the tv series but I think that may have been mainly due to it going against how I portrayed the books in my head - although the plot varies. Seems to have good reviews and others i've spoken to liked it so I'm comfortable to concede that I'm the odd one out here.

7 hours ago, Xerxes said:

Finished watching Oppenheimer. 

Cannot believe I spend 3 hours on a movie with “security clearance authorization” as a plot point. 

The first half was great, second half indeed was a bit weird...

8 hours ago, ACooke said:

Silo's based on a book series which we're really good.

I didn't love the tv series but I think that may have been mainly due to it going against how I portrayed the books in my head - although the plot varies. Seems to have good reviews and others i've spoken to liked it so I'm comfortable to concede that I'm the odd one out here.

I saw that, will have to check them out when I get a chance. This first season of Silo definitely leaves the viewer with a lot of questions.

12 hours ago, Parsad said:

I was ok with his life. It was interesting. 

but did the crux of the movie needed to revolve around the “authorization for security clearance” like it was a big deal. 

13 hours ago, Grenville said:

Did you end up watching it in 70mm Imax? 

No, I got the heads up from a friend that it wasn't worth watching on IMAX unless you wanted to really see that 10 minute sequence on it.  Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

Some good TV shows:

Platonic - funny goofball comedy with Seth Rogen. Great cast and script - Apple TV

Mrs Davis - Sci Fi, wild goosechase absurdist comedy. Great characters and storyline if you like this type of stuff (Peacock)

Watched the first episode of Ahsoka and I am not sure about that one. Storyline seems rehashed from other SW shows and build around all female characters that don't shine (yet). - Disney +

27 minutes ago, Spekulatius said:

Watched the first episode of Ahsoka and I am not sure about that one. Storyline seems rehashed from other SW shows and build around all female characters that don't shine (yet). - Disney +

how could you seriously know if it is rehash based on a sample. It is one thing to make that case/argument half way through … 

Btw I thought it was fantastic. Some scene looks liked from old samurai movies. With dialogue, pause, dialogue. Inevitably, some call that “wooden” dialogue. Anyhow. 

I had a blast watching the very first scene with the duo getting on the cruiser, which took me back to 1999, when ObiWan and Jin duo got on the enemy ship. That is called paying homage visually. And not rehashing stories. 

5 hours ago, Xerxes said:

Btw I thought it was fantastic. Some scene looks liked from old samurai movies. With dialogue, pause, dialogue. Inevitably, some call that “wooden” dialogue. Anyhow. 

I took a watch on your recommendation and I agree. I enjoy the dialogue pacing - leaves more to the imagination and that is what Star wars (and disney) aims for.

Recently finished The Bear which was fantastic - season 2 particularly. I'm sure many have already seen it; and 'Dark Winds' which I really enjoyed too.

Aside from that I generally just throw something semi-brainless on to wind down. I really enjoy all the mining and similar docu-dramas, particularly 'Outback Opal Hunters' and some of the Gold Rush and similar type ones - Aussie gold hunters and Gold Rush White Water are good. Been working my way through Big Timbers i think it's called on netflix which isn't bad either. I think I'm just drawn to 1. not having to think too much whilst i'm watching it/allowing me to wind down and 2. finding the different processes and problem-solving mildly interesting. Not really sure why I'm so drawn to those type of shows, but i seem to be.

Going to give The Witcher a try next I think. Not really something I'd usually watch but have had a few people rec it.

5 hours ago, LC said:

I took a watch on your recommendation and I agree. I enjoy the dialogue pacing - leaves more to the imagination and that is what Star wars (and disney) aims for.

I guess you guys are right. I didn’t even realize that the premiere has two episodes. I watched the second part and the show comes to its own.

Another show that comes to its own slowly is Foundation S2. I think they took a long time (the entire S1 basically) to build up an ark that now makes this show and universe interesting.

13 hours ago, Spekulatius said:

I guess you guys are right. I didn’t even realize that the premiere has two episodes. I watched the second part and the show comes to its own.

Another show that comes to its own slowly is Foundation S2. I think they took a long time (the entire S1 basically) to build up an ark that now makes this show and universe interesting.

thanks. I may yet watch Foundation. 
i complained endlessly about Season 1 on this board. Generally speaking I am pretty liberal on movie adaptation but Foundation S1 broke the cardinal rule. 

19 hours ago, LC said:

jon favreau and dave filoni have been the brain of the SW TV series. And their work is outstanding. 

i wish JJ Abrams was never put it on the sequels. But that was the time Disney was not sure how much risk it could take on deviating from the re-hash Skywalker Saga. 

they figured it out now. And they just need to let jon favreau and dave filoni do their magic.

There is a lot of lore in SW and a lot of open space. Based on the first two Ashoka episodes and some Easteregg planted in one of Andor episode, looks like they will be linking/referencing the KOTOR timeline. Knights of the Old Republic was a role playing game that came 20 years ago and had an amazing storyline. 

Marvel does not have that. Yes it has tier-2 and tier-3 characters that it can mine further. But some of those just don’t resonate. And once you establish and work out tier-1 characters, you cannot really do a reboot to tell the same story (like Warner or Sony does), given the scale of investment. 

With SW you can go 10,000 years in the past an explore the rise of the Sith as a storyline. Or move to another galaxy. Yes Marvel has many dimensions and galaxies but at the end things revolves around Earth and present timeline. So limited real estate  

Edited by Xerxes