Movies and TV shows (general recommendation thread)

Liberty

8 minutes ago, Spekulatius said:

I finally finishes this limited neo western series (The English) and think it's a masterpiece. It kept getting better each episode. Highly recommended.

Yes, definitely underrated. Candy is also underrated, IMO.

Edited by formthirteen

Not a gamer but the kids talked me into watching The Last of Us.  I am usually flicking through emails or business stories, perhaps even CoBF while watching stuff.  Not this one,  device free and totally into the story.  Episode 3 has ruffled a few feathers but I am still revelling at such great story telling and directing. Very few times I have given a shit about characters in a matter of minutes.  

I started watching English on Prime. I having hard time getting past episode 2. Yet people say it is good !!

Interesting thing about “English” and I cannot quite put my finger on it, but the shots seem to be composed of a lot of sharp contrasting colours. Also they seem to there are a lot wide shots follow by close-up followed by wide shots. I am not used to this type of filming. I think like eating particular food your brain gets used to one way of shooting a film and has problem digesting new ways.

speaking of entertainment, I bet Walt Disney earning tonight will be entertaining. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/21/2023 at 11:31 AM, Spekulatius said:

I watched it when released on HBO. It’s a pretty good movie.

In the similar genre, I watched the second season of Wiking Valhalla and wasn’t impressed. The first season of Valhalla (and of course the original series) was very good, but this one just didn’t cut it.

I scratched Treason off my list. Looked already questionable and generic, so I am not going to put time in it @Xerxes

Try this spy-series on Prime

Prime Video: A Spy Among Friends, Season 1

Anne with an A  on Netflix. Just watched the first episode and it’s Delightful Canadian TV series. Witty dialogue and great actor from the girl who plays Anna. I have only watched the first show, but if they can keep this up, it’s the best family TV show that I watched for quite some time

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5421602/

@Xerxes - The English is a slow burner Western, sort of like one of the epic Spagetti westerns of the late 60’s. I actually parked it for a while after watching the first 2 Episodes, because it sort of slow with bursts of action. it really captivated me when I continued watching it and they develop the characters and storyline.

Edited by Spekulatius

1 hour ago, boilermaker75 said:

@Spekulatius All episodes of Anne with an A are great. You'll enjoy it all. This summer we are going on a Road Scholar tour of that part of Canada, partly because of seeing it in this series.

@boilermaker75 I had the same idea. Prince Edward island was on my list of places to visit and my wife (who enjoys the show as well) approved the idea. It's  not going to be this summer though.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I like to watch these trailers for upcoming movies.

Oppenheimer and Dune looks interesting and The Hunger games beginning at least visual striking. Lot‘s crap as well (pretty much any movie with Sharks or Jason Stratham, the worst ones have both)

Edit - the new Antman - Quantummania on Disney+ is garbage.

Edited by Spekulatius

• 2 months later...
59 minutes ago, Grenville said:

Curious if anyone is going to see Oppenheimer in 70mm Imax?

Canada has 6 of the 30 theatres in the world that can show the movie in the format it was intended to be seen in. 

No need to see it in IMAX.  Excellent movie...but truly covers Oppenheimer's life rather than Manhattan Project, etc.  So far more story about his persecution, and far, far less action than you would expect.  Not worth the extra money for IMAX. 

See it in a good quality theatre with excellent sound...but it doesn't have to be IMAX.  Cillian Murphy was Oscar-worthy as Oppenheimer, and an almost unrecognizable Robert Downey Junior was equally worthy!

Now I would imagine Mission Impossible with all of it's amazing shots and stunts would be worth the extra money in IMAX.

Cheers!

5 hours ago, Pelagic said:

Silo on AppleTV is great, a dystopian detective series set in a fallout shelter.

Binge-watched The Bear first season last night...built up through the first six episodes to the amazing two ending episodes...some of the best television made those last two episodes!

Going to binge watch season two tonight!  Cheers!

11 hours ago, Parsad said:

Binge-watched The Bear first season last night...built up through the first six episodes to the amazing two ending episodes...some of the best television made those last two episodes!

Going to binge watch season two tonight!  Cheers!

Season 2 of The Bear was fantastic!  The quality actors from Illinois that they get to appear is also pretty amazing in Season 2.  Continues to do a great job of showcasing Chicago, and in one episode Copenhagen.  Cheers!

2 hours ago, Parsad said:

Season 2 of The Bear was fantastic!  The quality actors from Illinois that they get to appear is also pretty amazing in Season 2.  Continues to do a great job of showcasing Chicago, and in one episode Copenhagen.  Cheers!

Yep watching it now.  So good.  Loved the first season but S2 is even better.   It is hard to put a finger on why it resonates so much but it does, guess that is just great production values.  One of the best shows of the year so far.

Edit: Holy shit, just watched E6 Fishes, the family holiday dinner.  Our own various family catastrophes have some perspective 😁

Edited by nwoodman

15 hours ago, nwoodman said:

Yep watching it now.  So good.  Loved the first season but S2 is even better.   It is hard to put a finger on why it resonates so much but it does, guess that is just great production values.  One of the best shows of the year so far.

Edit: Holy shit, just watched E6 Fishes, the family holiday dinner.  Our own various family catastrophes have some perspective 😁

And the actors they got for that episode!  Amazing actors!  I was also impressed by Will Poulter in the Copenhagen episode. 

Just a great story with terrific writing and wonderful actors!  Cheers!

7 hours ago, Parsad said:

And the actors they got for that episode!  Amazing actors!  I was also impressed by Will Poulter in the Copenhagen episode. 

Just a great story with terrific writing and wonderful actors!  Cheers!

Don’t want to do this one too much, but it was the good wife that pointed out to me that the Mum in that episode is Jamie Lee Curtis.  Did not recognise her and testimony to the performance and the make-up.

Just started watching a Norweigan show on Netflix called Occupied.  It's set in the near future where Russia invades a neighbor (who saw that coming?).  Norway's green government stopped producing fossil fuels prompting an occupation by Russia, supported by the EU to secure production.  Lot's of plot twists and great character development.