What are you buying today?

LowIQinvestor

49 minutes ago, rkbabang said:

Sold CPNG calls that I bought a little over a month ago for a 146% gain and added to a few positions:  CPNG common, FRFHF, JOE, MSTR, & EBAY.

Banger...

1 hour ago, Luca said:

Banger...

Yeah, I'm starting to learn to sell my options when they go up rather than getting greedy and wait for more.  Many times in the past I've looked at large unrealized gains on my calls and did nothing, then they end up going back down and have me wishing I had sold.  I've even gone on to eventually realize loses on options I could have at one time sold for hefty profits.

27 minutes ago, rkbabang said:

Yeah, I'm starting to learn to sell my options when they go up rather than getting greedy and wait for more.  Many times in the past I've looked at large unrealized gains on my calls and did nothing, then they end up going back down and have me wishing I had sold.  I've even gone on to eventually realize loses on options I could have at one time sold for hefty profits.

Good. Would you mind elaborating the expiry on those options for cpng? And your strategy of selling options - would you sell 1-1.5 year out options as well if they go up? Thanks

2 hours ago, crs223 said:

starting a basket of melting ice cubes: bought BTI.  Maybe SIRI is next..???

Also bought BATS for the first time, really sorry prob means it’s going under 20GBP p/s given the way my purchases usually go within a month

37 minutes ago, valueseek said:

Good. Would you mind elaborating the expiry on those options for cpng? And your strategy of selling options - would you sell 1-1.5 year out options as well if they go up? Thanks

It depends I don't really have a strategy, I just take it on a case by case basis.   These were $20, Jan 17, 2025 expiry calls which I bought in early March (they were out of the money at the time).  I was thinking that it was likely that CPNG traded in the $20s at some point this year.  Since it is now trading in the 20s my thesis has been satisfied, so I took my profits and used a portion of it to increase my CPNG common holdings. 

13 minutes ago, Dinar said:

No Clipper for you?

I just can’t stomach investing with management teams that exhibit zero shame or accountability for such putrid performance. At least not anymore 

4 hours ago, tnathan said:

ADSK - the management team is a little clueless but its a great asset that is doing well being sold off for reasons not core to the business

How do they mess up their accounting and delay their annual report? And all this after a big earning beat.

I imagine this could fall another 10% or more. Either way I’m buying - hoping to load up on another 5% drop over the next week or weeks!

what do you think of long term AI risk to Autodesk? 

1 hour ago, dpetrescu said:

How do they mess up their accounting and delay their annual report? And all this after a big earning beat.

I imagine this could fall another 10% or more. Either way I’m buying - hoping to load up on another 5% drop over the next week or weeks!

what do you think of long term AI risk to Autodesk? 

More like an opportunity for them to reduce headcount(s) for clients.

https://aecmag.com/features/autodesk-laying-the-foundations-for-ai/

On an unrelated note, a buddy of mine said his firm just added Revit because more and more clients want 3D now. BIM will likely be next.

4 hours ago, DooDiligence said:

On an unrelated note, a buddy of mine said his firm just added Revit because more and more clients want 3D now. BIM will likely be next.

Clients reducing headcounts isn't good for you when your product is priced as $-per-seat

5 hours ago, DooDiligence said:

I think I agree there. I’m using Revit every day for work. I can say it still has a long very long runway - as contractors and builders adopt it. Then product manufacturers are adopting it. And owners adopt it and maintain it for maintenance, records, and future renovations expansions. And public agencies still have pre-2006 2-d Autocad standards, they’re slowly adopting it….very slowly. Surprising how slow the BIM/3d adoption is considering its old tech by now for public agencies.

the curveball is AI. I can imagine AI giving Autodesk either a bigger advantage or maybe risk of taking share away from residential and small commercial firms.

9 hours ago, dpetrescu said:

I think I agree there. I’m using Revit every day for work. I can say it still has a long very long runway - as contractors and builders adopt it. Then product manufacturers are adopting it. And owners adopt it and maintain it for maintenance, records, and future renovations expansions. And public agencies still have pre-2006 2-d Autocad standards, they’re slowly adopting it….very slowly. Surprising how slow the BIM/3d adoption is considering its old tech by now for public agencies.

the curveball is AI. I can imagine AI giving Autodesk either a bigger advantage or maybe risk of taking share away from residential and small commercial firms.

Problem with ADSK is valuation with low growth, and the recent internal accounting investigation casting doubt on management. Maybe a nothingburger, maybe more bad news to follow.

Grossly overpaid management probably, have you looked at SBC?

I had stupidly sold some $250 puts on this one, figuring they are solid with an entrenched product, without looking closely at the company (when will I ever learn???). Just closed them out first thing this morning, cutting losses. Maybe this will mark the bottom, lol.

10 hours ago, bizaro86 said:

Clients reducing headcounts isn't good for you when your product is priced as $-per-seat

Possibly, but price increases could easily offset. This is a small expense for an engineering firm in comparison to the revenues they bring in. Your point is valid nonetheless.

42 minutes ago, backtothebeach said:

Problem with ADSK is valuation with low growth, and the recent internal accounting investigation casting doubt on management. Maybe a nothingburger, maybe more bad news to follow.

I had stupidly sold some $250 puts on this one, figuring they are solid with an entrenched product, without looking closely at the company (when will I ever learn???). Just closed them out first thing this morning, cutting losses. Maybe this will mark the bottom, lol.

Valuation and low growth are legit concerns wrt potential returns. This a mission critical software and piracy seems to be the biggest hindrance to growth. There's the possibility of incrementally onboarding accounts running pirated versions. Probably won't produce dramatic increases any time soon though.

https://schnitgercorp.com/2020/03/09/autodesks-anti-piracy-efforts-finally-pay-off-oh-and-the-looming-end-of-maintenance/

Here's a small sampling of pirating efforts:

===

BIM and facilities management seems like a good growth avenue. I particularly like the Innovyze acquisition.

===

edit: not buying today. I already own enough ADSK (3.6%).

Edited by DooDiligence

4 hours ago, DooDiligence said:

Valuation and low growth are legit concerns wrt potential returns. This a mission critical software and piracy seems to be the biggest hindrance to growth. There's the possibility of incrementally onboarding accounts running pirated versions. Probably won't produce dramatic increases any time soon though.

https://schnitgercorp.com/2020/03/09/autodesks-anti-piracy-efforts-finally-pay-off-oh-and-the-looming-end-of-maintenance/

Here's a small sampling of pirating efforts:

===

BIM and facilities management seems like a good growth avenue. I particularly like the Innovyze acquisition.

===

edit: not buying today. I already own enough ADSK (3.6%).

All SAAS companies haven’t truly recovered and haven’t 

5 hours ago, backtothebeach said:

interesting you were shorting

all SAAS companies haven’t really participated in the market boom of the last couple years. 

definitely some valid concerns and risks. I just keep buying ADSK for the last decade plus just because of their unique competitive advantage. Just got a bunch of 2 year LEAPs art the dip this morning

im sure everyone here is tired of me talking about ADSK :).