What are you buying today?

LowIQinvestor

I sold Micron at slight gain and added proceeds to Nintendo. I am trusting that Li Lu has a better understanding than me of micron and that the situation with China is not favorable for the DRAM market. 

Edited by Luca

Canadian telecom stocks have been taken out behind the woodshed: Telus, BCE and Rogers. All are trading at or close to where they were trading 5 years ago. At current prices, investors get an average dividend yield of 5.6% with decent chance of capital appreciation (especially if interest rates go lower in 2024 or 2025). 

Telus = 6.3% current dividend yield

BCE = 7%
Rogers = 3.6%

Historically, Canadian telecom is an oligopoly where the players want to make money (but not too much). BCE and Rogers also own significant assets (sports franchises) so they are not just a telecom play. 

The big news from a competitive standpoint is the #4 player (Shaw) just got bought by Rogers. The two big risks i see are interest expense (these guys carry a lot of debt) should interest rates stay at current levels for another 4 years or longer. And regulatory risk (Trudeau does something stupid). But even then, my guess is the players will simply adjust their models so they continue to hit their return targets. 

My strategy is to simply buy a basket of all three (skewed towards T and BCE because of the higher yield) as i do not have enough knowledge/conviction to know who is better valued today. Would love to hear what others think. 

Edited by Viking

6 minutes ago, Viking said:

Canadian telecom stocks have been taken out behind the woodshed: Telus, BCE and Rogers. All are trading at or close to where they were trading 5 years ago. At current prices, investors get an average yield of 5.6% with decent chance of capital appreciation (especially if interest rates go lower in 2024 or 2025). 

Telus = 6.3% current dividend yield

BCE = 7%
Rogers = 3.6%

Historically, Canadian telecom is an oligopoly where the players want to make money (but not too much). BCE and Rogers also own significant assets (sports franchises) so they are not just a telecom play. 

The big news from a competitive standpoint is the #4 player (Shaw) just got bought by Rogers. The two big risks i see are interest expense (these guys carry a lot of debt) should interest rates stay at current levels for another 4 years or longer. And regulatory risk (Trudeau does something stupid). But even then, my guess is the players will simply adjust their models so they continue to hit their return targets. 

My strategy is to simply a basket of all three - as i do not have enough knowledge/conviction to know who is better valued today. Would love to hear what others think. 

It's funny you posted that.  I spent most of last night going over a bunch of TSX stocks with dividend yields on average of 5%+ and a P/E of about 15, while watching the Australia/England FIFA Women's World Cup game. 

If you think about the run the USD has had over the last couple of years and at some point we have to head back to a normalized exchange of around 1.15-1.20 USD to CDN, Canadian stocks may hold some promise here relative to US stocks in the next year or so.  Cheers!

54 minutes ago, Paarslaars said:

Come on you must be joking...

No one watches the women's cup.

I've watched almost every game. 

I've been going to sleep around 3am every other night for the last 2 weeks!  😴  That's why I can't sleep tonight either...will have to get back to my old schedule of going to bed by 1am.

The two semi-final games were fantastic!  I'm expecting a great final between Spain and England.

If you saw the Australia/England semi-final last night...I was up to 6am...every goal was brilliant, especially Sam Kerr's!

Women's football is now at the point where women's tennis has been for the last 45 years.  On par with the men's game!  I hope salaries start to catch up like they did in tennis. 

I hope to see the same for women's golf too!  Rose Zhang is going to be as good as Phil Mickelson, better than Annika Sorenstam, and may be close to Tiger Woods one day!

It's about time!  My niece will have lots of choices when it comes to female sports role models!  Cheers!

3 hours ago, Paarslaars said:

Come on you must be joking...

No one watches the women's cup.

I'm on vacation in Australia right now, and they're definitely following it here. Random tourist guides mention it in their spiel, signs/ads everywhere, etc.

2 hours ago, Parsad said:

I've watched almost every game. 

I've been going to sleep around 3am every other night for the last 2 weeks!  😴  That's why I can't sleep tonight either...will have to get back to my old schedule of going to bed by 1am.

The two semi-final games were fantastic!  I'm expecting a great final between Spain and England.

If you saw the Australia/England semi-final last night...I was up to 6am...every goal was brilliant, especially Sam Kerr's!

Women's football is now at the point where women's tennis has been for the last 45 years.  On par with the men's game!  I hope salaries start to catch up like they did in tennis. 

I hope to see the same for women's golf too!  Rose Zhang is going to be as good as Phil Mickelson, better than Annika Sorenstam, and may be close to Tiger Woods one day!

It's about time!  My niece will have lots of choices when it comes to female sports role models!  Cheers!

I watched that one. Lot's of shots on goal. Both sides hit the back of the net once plus a nice match winning worm burner!