What are you buying today?

LowIQinvestor

4 hours ago, NotSoWise said:

Look at the price range of Dufry and Aena over the past 5 years. Do you see any potential for meaningful bounce back at Aena? I bought Dufry at CHF 35 with the hope of it getting to CHF 70-100 in 3 years time horizon (until flights return to normal). If I am right, my potential return is 2x-3x. At today's price, I am already at 1,4x in 1,33 years.

If I had bought Aena at the same time (Sep'20) at EUR 120, my upside in 3 years would be up to probably EUR 170. If I was right here, my return would be 1,4x in 3 years.

So which one of the two made more sense? Which one would you chose?

As for share issue, part of it went to delist their subsidiary Hudson news at very low price (on which they should do 2-3x money), I dont count this as earnings dilution. The rest went to raise cash to survive covid, so only larger part of the issue was dilution.

Are you asking what would have made sense in the past or now?  Today, I would choose Safran today over those two.  However, between Aena and Dufry, Aena is a no brainer.  Much better business, 7%+ free cash flow yield on 2023 numbers assuming traffic recovers to 2019 levels, real estate assets in Madrid and Barcelona worth 10-20% of market cap to be monetized.  Dufry's business is also much easier to destroy.  

What makes you think I did not?  In any case, there is no point in discussing it further.

1 hour ago, NotSoWise said:

Dinar, you need to factor the price in the equation. It is not only about what is better, but also how much you pay for something. Otherwise I would pick Adobe over Dufry.

10 hours ago, Ross812 said:

What made you go with BBH over XBI? Are you expecting large caps to outperform? 

I prefer the stability of the large caps.

I plan on holding for a very long time.

Anyone who wants to make money should do the opposite of me.

Edited by DooDiligence

Yesterday added some FB, and some BRK Feb 25 puts. 

I read a comment months ago when BRK was buying back around 285, something to the effect that if he is taking trenches buying back over a year, perhaps he takes the overall CB for the year rather than one specific buy lot. And as long as the overall yearly buyback CB is under what he determines fair thats all that really matters. I would like to buy BRK cheaper (dont we always) but my CB is so low that even when adding now in significant portions it does not raise my CB significantly and the CB is certainly well below what I would consider "safe and comfortable". I also consider my BRK a never-sell so that adds to my comfort level. This illustrates a shift in my thinking, I think we were all aware of BRK on blue light special during the covid scare and I was adding aggressively during that time, but my cash pile continues to grow and is now quite a bit more than I would prefer, additionally I have the sale of a vacation home on the horizon that will put my cash pile (for me) into the stratosphere,  so in an attempt to start putting it to work in some way I have been selling puts at prices I would be comfortable buying anyway for some extra income. Doesnt move the needle much but it at least lets me feel like Im doing something. This way I can still participate and even if assigned still have enough dry powder in the event that BRK looks really juicy. I view it as heads I win, tails I dont lose. 

Does anyone else feel a mild sense of embarrassment when cash positions get high? I realize that is individual, what I consider high may be pocket change for some, obviously depends on percentage of port, but I feel like Im being lazy or not working hard enough to find places to park it. Single with no kids yet so even $20k in I-bonds at 7%+ doesnt get me excited or move the needle. There are worse problems to have than sitting on a pile of cash given current market conditions and potential future volatility but its a feeling I cant shake...that pressure to swing you bum. Current cash position is around 30% with the future RE sale bringing it to mid 40's.