'23-'24 hidden stock purchase ideas

https://www.barrons.com/amp/articles/warren-buffett-berkshire-hathaway-stock-purchase-431172f6

"When Berkshire Hathaway disclosed its U.S. equity holdings as of Sept. 30 via its quarterly 13-F filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission in mid November, it had asked the regulator for confidential treatment for one or more stocks."

"Barron’s has written about the Berkshire mystery purchase and speculated that it was a financial company based on disclosure in Berkshire’s third-quarter 10-Q report showing an increase of over $1 billion in the cost basis of its equity holdings in financial stocks. 

The ultimate position in the company could total $5 billion or more."

Any idea?  Trying to see what companies might be in this space, and see if the idea can be reverse engineered.

I have wondered about the reverse engineering aspect as well. Presumably he is going to have 9% of some company. How are those shares accounted for when you see a list of a companies largest holding. 

Does each company need to file a list of its largest holding?

my ideas would be

AIG

DFS

2 minutes ago, Gamecock-YT said:

Citigroup

I don't think that's how the rules work.  Citi is a disclosed position in the 13-F.  If it had disappeared while it was confidential that would be one thing, but having it show up as a position while "confidential positions are being omitted" suggests that it isn't anything that is on the list.  Citi isn't being omitted from the 13-F.

17 minutes ago, John Hjorth said:

@yesman182,

Where and when? - What do you mean?

If you go to TIKR or any other website that tracks investments, you can usually see a list of the companies largest shareholders. I don't know how those lists are compiled. It isn't clear to me if the company itself needs to file something with the SEC naming the largest holders. Or if the websites are aggregating the filing of the individual shareholders who need to disclose their ownership stake in securities. 

31 minutes ago, yesman182 said:

If you go to TIKR or any other website that tracks investments, you can usually see a list of the companies largest shareholders. I don't know how those lists are compiled. It isn't clear to me if the company itself needs to file something with the SEC naming the largest holders. Or if the websites are aggregating the filing of the individual shareholders who need to disclose their ownership stake in securities. 

So those websites are aggregating a bunch of different disclosures like 13-Fs, 13d, 13g.  The companies themselves use those disclosures to name the largest shareholders in their proxy statements.  If a manager is not large enough to be required to file 13-F and isn't over 5% or a reporting insider, they can stay anonymous and under the radar.  

Thank you to @yesman182 for elaborating, and thank you to @gfp for elaborating on the reply side.

Personally, I consider this topic to be about the omitted position[s] [It could actually be more than one] in Berskhires latest 13F-HR, filed at SEC February 14th 2024, containing this message [in blue font] :

image.thumb.png.867de099506e7cfabc559cf91438a530.png

I thought about DFS as well, but the hidden disclosure (Nov. '23) was before COF announced DFS acquisition intention(Feb. '24).  That in itself is not an issue, but was there wasn't an obvious catalyst back in late '23.  In fact, it seems like their net income (quarter) dropped.  Maybe he thought the drop was only temporary so that's why he bought into it.

FI is an interesting possibility.  Anybody know what might be cause of the run up from late '23 to now (~$120 to $150)?