145 members have voted

1. 1. Returns For 2022

• > -10%
    • -10% to 0
    • >0 to 10%
    • >10% to 20%
    • >20% to 40%
    • >40%

Considering the year we have had, I fully understand why this topic was not created however traditions are traditions. 

I have had a really strong year and my portfolio is up ~11% in 2022. (Portfolio size between $1-5m)

Highlights

- FFH once again crushed it - thank you Prem!  (Approx 30-35% of my portfolio)

- ATCO / RFP buyouts at pretty sweet premiums (combined they were about 30% of my portfolio)  

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

55 minutes ago, ourkid8 said:

Considering the year we have had, I fully understand why this topic was not created however traditions are traditions. 

I have had a really strong year and my portfolio is up ~11% in 2022. (Portfolio size between $1-5m)

Highlights

- FFH once again crushed it - thank you Prem!  (Approx 30-35% of my portfolio)

- ATCO / RFP buyouts at pretty sweet premiums (combined they were about 30% of my portfolio)  

Could someone make this thread with the anonymous returns multiple choices (ex. 0-5%,5-10%, etc)?

Approx 20% up on a low 6 fig portfolio. Losses were severed quick as the theses were disproved and the momentum pushed em down - PAH3, SIX; winners were scaled up into w incremental info and momentum- OXY.WS, IPCO, TWTR, BJ- with some end year wins (VRE was a pot of gold) thanks to the very intelligent people on this forum; am immensely grateful for all your opinions + willingness to respond to even my stupidest of questions and have learnt a lot just from reading the discussions. Neither intelligence nor diligence has inoculated anyone from the caprice of the market gods but w COBF, at least the odds are slightly better :D. Here's to a prosperous 2023 for everyone and I hope to be able to contribute some profitable ideas soon rather than a bunch of duds ://// 

Edited by n.r98

A big ole +1% on a low 7 fig sum. Grateful it wasn’t worse and frankly I’m not a great stock picker so any outperformance is lucky rather than skill.

need to do my year end recap but from memory the biggest losers were tech - msft prob the largest loser. Took cap losses there shifting funds to goog. And then subsequently also took losses there.

+28%  Lucky. What I liked/understood did very well this year. It usually does not work that way (in 2018 I was down 4% on the year). Fairfax, oil and cash drove all of my returns this year. Cash? Not losing a bunch of money sometimes feels like making money. 

1.) in Dec of 2021 I started to load up on oil. It was my number one pick to start the year. I got lucky as it worked way better than I thought it would.

2.) when the Fed got aggressive with raising interest rates I got conservative and moved a big chunk of my portfolio to cash. Lucky? I don't think so. Following the Fed has been the best single strategy for the past 10 years... and it continued to work in 2022.

3.) extreme volatility in oil and Fairfax allowed me to but low and sell high a couple of times. This was simply being opportunistic. Fairfax went to US$450 twice in 2022... I messed up a little the first time in March but nailed the second time in Oct (that concentration thing that Druckenmiller talks about).

Looking ahead to 2023 my favourite picks:

1.) Fairfax. Stock was up 20% in 2022; value of business increased much more over the year. So the stock, closing at US$594, is cheaper today than it was Dec 31, 2021 when it closed at US$492. I think Fairfax will earn US$100 in 2023 (and this is my conservative estimate). Misunderstood stocks trading at a normalized PE of 6 times earnings are a layup. Fairfax is the gift that keeps on giving.

2.) oil. Not as cheap as it was Dec 31, 2021. But still cheap. Especially if the world does not go into a big recession in 2023 (and I don't think it will). Growing demand + constrained supply = higher prices for any commodity. Throw in terrible government policy, the religion of ESG, war in Ukraine, China emerging from covid, US ending SPR releases... 

3.) US big tech looks cheap (GOOG, AMZN, META). Down 50% from highs is good enough for me. 

4.) US financials look cheap. If they go much lower from here on recession fears I will likely get aggressive.

There is lots of other stuff that is cheap. Definitely a stock pickers market. 

What about the Fed? Not sure. Nothing obvious comes to mind right now.

Edited by Viking

A whopping 1 per cent:). Almost all good for portfolio came from BRK, which was 60+ position at the start of 2022. Almost all bad came from my mistake with China's big tech, which I closed in summer. Continue to hold BRK (still largest position). In 2H bought UMG, GOOGL, META, AMZN and substiantially added to FFH and JOE. Also added some smaller stuff for speculative/basket part of portfolio.

Edited by UK

pre-tax, USD:

2022:  -15%

Significant losers:  Altice, Charter, American Outdoor Brands, IDT, IES Holdings, Leatt, SNC-Lavalin, Turning Point Brands, Comcast, IAC, LICT Corp.

Based on that list, I'm surprised the results weren't even worse.  My winners were mostly buyouts/take privates:  Swedish Match, Hill International, Advant-e

I still hold most of my 2022 losers -- we'll see how they perform in 2023.

Historical

2021: 11%

2020: 14%

2019: 31%

2018: 11%

2017: 10%

2016: 22%

-16% in CAD terms. 

This was a result of a few really some really  bad picks (Quarte, ATTO) and my largest position being GOOG. 

Going into 2023 goal is not to get caught into these names and have significantly high graded my portfolio.

Thank you all for the great community here and all the best for 2023!

Up about 8 percent. Better to be lucky than good since almost every “value investment” I made with critical thinking shit the bed.

Oils, and high yield etfs saved the day. 

The stars were aritzia, tjx, cardinal energy, whitecap and cp rail

the dogs were msge, joe, smartcentres, and Stanley black and decker. Woof  

the stalwarts and bulk of the portfolio were brk and the tobacco group that flowed divs and I traded around to close to 20 percent gain. Made out like a bandit on petrobras taking a whopping 40 percent gain and by absolute luck missing the ride back down. 

2022 was a terrible year personally and below average professionally. I shed buckets of tears and mailed it in business wise. I was as much a dog as was SWK.
I look forward to 23 to right some wrongs and get back on track. hopefully hit the million beaver buck mark at some point is the goal. Good luck to all in the new year

In my taxable account my return is just -0.8%. I entered the year with a lot of cash, still have a large amount of T-bills, and mostly bought on the way down, had some hedges and a couple long positions that worked out, but most did poorly and would have done a lot worse if I hadn't added to positions at the lows. This is a low 7 figure account.

My 401k that I just started last year is down 26%, fortunately there's only about 60k in this account. 

My business has a large mid 7 figure beneficial interest in PCG stock which rocked it out this year with a 34.7% return. 

When factoring in the PCG stake I actually had a very nice gain this year, and am overall pleased with everything but my 401k performance. At least that's the smallest account, and one I'm not going to touch for 30 years or so. 

Edited by RedLion

+36% in my Roth, +31% in taxable

My biggest gain in the year was a truly unique situation, which I have never seen before and will never see again. It was UNTCW, which are warrants with about a 5 year duration, a 63.74 strike price, and started trading with a 60.00 underlying stock price. They were given out to the original shareholders after a bankruptcy, but were tied up for almost two years such that many owners might have totally forgot about them or had no idea what fair value was. And then they started trading randomly one day with no notice and no attempt by the company to make a market for them. They just started trading at a penny a piece despite the company recording them as a liability on the books at nearly $30 per. I bought more than half of the total trading volume for the first few days, and within a week they were $15 each so I had a massive multibagger, and that happened without any real move in the underlying shares.

Other impactful results came from the APTS buyout early this year where I owned a large amount of stock and calls, and from MARA puts and shorts which paid off nicely with that stock dropping 90% this year.

Mostly I just didn't have positions in any of the stuff that was down a lot on the year. My largest position is still Berkshire which is up YTD and which I increased a lot more in the 260-270s, and I didn't pickup things like Google and Meta until after the big crashes.

4 minutes ago, aws said:

+36% in my Roth, +31% in taxable

My biggest gain in the year was a truly unique situation, which I have never seen before and will never see again. It was UNTCW, which are warrants with about a 5 year duration, a 63.74 strike price, and started trading with a 60.00 underlying stock price. They were given out to the original shareholders after a bankruptcy, but were tied up for almost two years such that many owners might have totally forgot about them or had no idea what fair value was. And then they started trading randomly one day with no notice and no attempt by the company to make a market for them. They just started trading at a penny a piece despite the company recording them as a liability on the books at nearly $30 per. I bought more than half of the total trading volume for the first few days, and within a week they were $15 each so I had a massive multibagger, and that happened without any real move in the underlying shares.

Other impactful results came from the APTS buyout early this year where I owned a large amount of stock and calls, and from MARA puts and shorts which paid off nicely with that stock dropping 90% this year.

Mostly I just didn't have positions in any of the stuff that was down a lot on the year. My largest position is still Berkshire which is up YTD and which I increased a lot more in the 260-270s, and I didn't pickup things like Google and Meta until after the big crashes.

Amazing. Congratulations on a monster year when it really counts. 

Another very good year at > 100%, TWR. Measured in $CAD equivalents.

We were lucky, and robust risk-management saved our ass. 2022 was also the last of our high growth years, starting 2023 we have different requirements.

O/G (OBE/CVE/WCP/GXE) did very well. Risk management did well, forcing a material mid-year trim and capital repatriation. Swing trades did well, capturing much of the Q422 fade in O/G expectations. O/G servicing (PD/CET) did well; related risk management could have been better.

BTC/Ukraine did vey well, but mostly by luck vs plan. Ukraine involvement delayed BTC investment and avoided the bust. Ukraine BTC profit materially higher than expected, released capital back to swing trades.

Returns are net of a material mid year capital repatriation and asset diversification, with results to show in 2023/24. Starting 2023, capital reinvestment takes advantage of the better and more reliable yield opportunities presenting themselves.  

SD

Down -13%, mainly due to China, Baba and Tencent. Sold some Baba at a loss, kept most of it and then switched all china into prosus at latest low, up 60% now with it. Berkshire was the biggest winner, made it a 25% position in 2021 when market got heated. 

+10.5% in USD (+16.9% in EUR).

Crunching the numbers now, a couple of things are surprising:

- Biggest loser is Brookfield. Shout out to ole’ dealraker for keeping the skepticism alive, otherwise my position might have been even bigger.

- I entered the year leveraged long, heavily in Berkshire, hedged by short SPY and AAPL calls that were both deep in-the-money. Turns out all the profit this year is from the hedges, because SPY and AAPL tanked, while Berkshire held up overall (after a wild ride).

- 9 year CAGR is 15.1% in USD. Could have achieved the same going 135% long Berkshire 9 years ago and never spending another minute on the markets.