iSavings bonds yielding 7.12% currently

Spekulatius

1 hour ago, no_free_lunch said:

Are there any similar suggestions for those of us in canada?  I can get 4.7% from a 1 year GIC but it's a ways off from this I bond deal. 

Sounds like your 4.7% is actually better than the current "I bond deal."

Right, thanks for the update.  I don't follow the i-bond myself, just tried to repurpose the thread.

One more general portfolio question, for anyone who might be reading.  I am moving to a 60/40 stock/bond mix and live in Canada.  I am thinking of investing the 40% fixed income in Canada (easier and don't have to worry about currency), and investing the 60% stocks into US equities.  There are still risks but this seems a decent balance.  I am just hoping someone will tell me if this seems like a really bad idea.

Edited by no_free_lunch

6 hours ago, no_free_lunch said:

The t-bill idea is a good one.  Thanks.  In my case I have to figure out if I am allowed to buy it but great for Americans for sure.  The yield you listed is actually higher than some corporate bonds.

You can certainly buy T bills they’re just short duration sovereign bonds. Perhaps not the I bonds or other savings bonds. 

• 2 weeks later...

For those who bought IBonds in 2021-2022, the fixed portion of the coupon was 0.00%.  IBonds are now being issued with a 0.90% fixed component to the rate.  Curious if it makes sense to redeem the ones I have with and buy new with fixed component.  

Return on these has been satisfactory.  

41 minutes ago, longterminvestor said:

For those who bought IBonds in 2021-2022, the fixed portion of the coupon was 0.00%.  IBonds are now being issued with a 0.90% fixed component to the rate.  Curious if it makes sense to redeem the ones I have with and buy new with fixed component.  

I mean, if you are just comparing the 2021 to the bonds now, yes, it makes a ton of sense if you are planning on holding long term. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense if you think you can do better than 4.30% (before taxes). 

1 hour ago, longterminvestor said:

I think you lose a few months of interest if redeem within 5 years. So you may want to wait for another few months.

2 hours ago, longterminvestor said:

Losing 3 months interest, liquidity locked up for an extra 1-year, and future resets looking less favorable are the major considerations. 

If you plan to hold long-term, it's worthwhile to get the extra 0.9% every year. 

For me, this was always an intermediate holding for the income and lack of price risk that intended to sell when resets were less attractive - as they're becoming. 

TIPS have to be considered as an alternative at this point I think. Just checking the yields right now, and it looks like you can get about 1.3-1.6% real yield on 5-30 year TIPS. 

If you want to just ladder these for the long term, I think adding long duration recently issued TIPS makes a lot of sense. If rates go back down you're going to make money on this trade as the real yield drops even if inflation is cooling off at the same time, but fundamentally if you're thinking of holding to maturity, this is a little but superior to I bonds paying 0.9. 

I'm also thinking of allocating some T-bill cash towards short duration TIPS. 

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
2 hours ago, tede02 said:

Repriced today with a 1.3% fixed rate. TIPS still seem better at what amounts to a 2.5% "fixed" rate (ie real yield) on longer maturities.

Yup. 

iBonds were attractive in a world of zero-to-low yields given their price insensitivity and their floating-rates.

Now that TIPS/bonds have largely repriced and iBonds outperformed significantly over the last 2 years, I expect the reverse will be true going forward:

You're going to want the price sensitivity and the additional  compensation for that risk.  

Edited by TwoCitiesCapital

3 hours ago, crs223 said:

Why does the govt limit how many iBonds we can buy, but not how many TIPS we can buy?

TIPS come to the market via dealers. You're buying secondary after the dealers take it down from the gov't. So the government isn't really impacted by your demand or not - it's the demand of dealers that matters and the government has control over the amount issued.

As far as limiting iBonds, I'm not sure why the limit was set @ 10k, but I can understand why they don't allow an unlimited amount seeing as they're the ones committing to pay the floating interest and should have some control over how much they borrow. 

Edited by TwoCitiesCapital

I view i bonds as forced savings and retirement $$ ... I max out everything, 401K, HSA, and even do my employers ESPP which has a -15% discount at time of purchase.  For the past 5 years I've been allocating to i Bonds on 1/1 of the new year.  Not everything in life is about squeezing out the last 100bps ... at least for me anyhow.  

VM!

1 hour ago, ValueMaven said:

I view i bonds as forced savings and retirement $$ ... I max out everything, 401K, HSA, and even do my employers ESPP which has a -15% discount at time of purchase.

Me too.  I'm lucky, my company makes a huge 401k contribution so I can go to the higher "total" limit.  I just "ASSume" that maxing out the iBonds is a good thing to do because it is limited... but perhaps I'm diluting myself and should be buying JOE instead like everyone else (ha!)...  we think of the iBonds as our emergency fund.

image.png.0247a489b44602111d5903e9db489445.png.2d18ac7c960442a5fd7e2e4db58d7de7.png

13 minutes ago, crs223 said:

Me too.  I'm lucky, my company makes a huge 401k contribution so I can go to the higher "total" limit.  I just "ASSume" that maxing out the iBonds is a good thing to do because it is limited... but perhaps I'm diluting myself and should be buying JOE instead like everyone else (ha!)...  we think of the iBonds as our emergency fund.

image.png.0247a489b44602111d5903e9db489445.png.2d18ac7c960442a5fd7e2e4db58d7de7.png

impressive! I thought my company's contribution was good, but you got me beat!