Coronavirus

spartansaver

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/03/who-says-coronavirus-death-rate-is-3point4percent-globally-higher-than-previously-thought.html

World health officials say the mortality rate for COVID-19 is 3.4% globally, higher than previous estimates of about 2%... In comparison, seasonal flu generally kills far fewer than 1% of those infected, he said.

Something for those in the “just another flu” camp to chew on.

And something for the “well there’s nothing we can really do to help the situation” camp (ie. compare Singapore/Taiwan w USA):

what we have been genuinely heartened by is that unlike influenza, where countries have fought back, where they’ve put in place strong measures, we’ve remarkably seen that the virus is suppressed,” Ryan said.

• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2761659

So far reports of cases show the infection to be mild in children, infants. It’s the old folks who are susceptible to high morbidity and mortality. Ironically, because kids have mild symptoms (cold symptoms), they likely spread it to each other at school/daycare and then the infection is spread to the household to more vulnerable grown ups.

From this standpoint, school closures make sense.

Does anyone know how many Americans have been tested for the virus? I think as of this past weekend it was 473. I am hearing that testing is increasing in the US but can’t find any stats; it would be ideal to see the daily ramp in numbers.

Also, once a test happens how many days does it take to get the result? I read in one article it is 4 days but can someone please confirm what the number is?

Once we know testing is happening in large numbers and we add the days to process the test this should inform us as to what day we will begin to understand how many cases there might actually be in the US (and where).

Right now i have no idea as testing has been so limited. I am simply trying to understand where the US is at in the process and when we can expect to get better information.

————————————

The Official Coronavirus Numbers Are Wrong, and Everyone Knows It

- https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2020/03/how-many-americans-really-have-coronavirus/607348/

Does anyone know how many Americans have been tested for the virus? I think as of this past weekend it was 473. I am hearing that testing is increasing in the US but can’t find any stats; it would be ideal to see the daily ramp in numbers.

Also, once a test happens how many days does it take to get the result? I read in one article it is 4 days but can someone please confirm what the number is?

Once we know testing is happening in large numbers and we add the days to process the test this should inform us as to what day we will begin to understand how many cases there might actually be in the US.

Right now i have no idea as testing has been so limited. I am simply trying to understand where the US is at in the process and when we can expect to get better information.

————————————

- https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2020/03/how-many-americans-really-have-coronavirus/607348/

I believe the CDC said 2500 kits will be available this week which is 1.5m tests. Not sure about official results though.

Once we know testing is happening in large numbers and we add the days to process the test this should inform us as to what day we will begin to understand how many cases there might actually be in the US (and where).

————————————

My friend, you're asking a dangerous question.  **Apparently**, the answer to your question is not only useless, but also has the potential to be dangerous in the hands of short sellers!  Beware!  ;)

————————————

Hospitals in many places incl NY still (as of today) cannot test locally for the disease and must ship to CDC in Atlanta for testing. Test kits sent out by CDC in recent weeks were defective. Epic fail.

The news comes as a further embarrassment to the CDC, which had rejected coronavirus test kits distributed by the World Health Organization in an attempt to make its own.

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-cdc-atlanta-lab-faulty-test-kit-investigation-2020-3

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-03-04/los-angeles-county-declares-coronavirus-emergency-6-new-cases

My daughter had a big event she was producing in LA, a 7 figure event she had been working on for a few months, canceled this morning. It was supposed to start in three days.

Her firm still gets paid, but it is not seeing months of work not coming to fruition and concern about future business.

Don’t they know Coronavirus is just like the flu.... Clearly, the Italians are over-reacting!

Italy says it will shut schools and universities as death toll passes 100

MILAN — Italy on Wednesday said that it will close schools and universities throughout the country in an attempt to control the spread of the coronavirus, as it battles the most serious outbreak in Europe.

A total of 2,706 people have tested positive for the virus in Italy. The virus has hit the aging population of northern Italy particularly acutely. More than 10 percent of those who have tested positive are in intensive care, straining Italy’s health-care system, which is scrambling to add extra beds.

Italian news agency Ansa reported that the government is also expected to announce another wide-ranging advisory that will ask Italians to change their lifestyle for the next 30 days. It will stipulate that people should avoid hugging, shaking hands and planning mass gatherings.

Health officials say they are also considering extending a two-week lockdown in its cordoned-off quarantine zone, which covers the worst-affected places, or expanding the area.

https://www.morningstar.com/articles/969893/the-coronavirus-column

Granted the sample size is small but looks like those big drop weeks tend to lead to pretty large declines over the short to intermediate term.

There was a chart on zerohedge that showed prior "emergency" cuts by the Fed and then showed the average and median return afterwards 1W, 3M, and 1year afterwards.

As presented, it's not very informative IMO - but what I was able to take from it was 6 of the 7 times the Fed did an emergency cut we were heading right into recession (they were clustered in 2000 and 2008 time period). The single outlier was in the late 90s and the exceptional performance following that the result of the tech bubble.

Seems likely that things only more roguh going forward but we're probably in a period of consolidation near term and the market recalibrates and people buy the dip.

II mentioned this before - my wife is working as an RN (contractor) on specialty care in several hospitals. I have talked to her and so far zip safety precautions, no COVID-19 testing (apparently no test kits) and not even N95 masks for personal. Can‘t believe it. Now a neighboring hospital has a confirmed case and they have a suspected case, but no way of knowing yet. They will start safety training this week and get N95 mask this week supposedly, probably test kids too. The patients my wife deals with have high mortality to begin with, so if they get infected, they are most likely gone.

I don’t know who is to blame here, the hospital admin, the state bureaucracy , CDC or federal  government institutions, my guess it’s all the above. There will be lots of blaming and law suits when this is over.

II mentioned this before - my wife is working as an RN (contractor) on specialty care in several hospitals. I have talked to her and so far zip safety precautions, no COVID-19 testing (apparently no test kits) and not even N95 masks for personal. Can‘t believe it. Now a neighboring hospital has a confirmed case and they have a suspected case, but no way of knowing yet. They will start safety training this week and get N95 mask this week supposedly, probably test kids too. The patients my wife deals with have high mortality to begin with, so if they get infected, they are most likely gone.

I don’t know who is to blame here, the hospital admin, the state bureaucracy , CDC or federal  government institutions, my guess it’s all the above. There will be lots of blaming and law suits when this is over.

Greatest healthcare system in the world! Worth the high prices they charge us too!!

It is the same in Canada. When you see relatives die while on a waiting list it will challenge your confidence in public health care. In the Canadian system it is all about fighting, fighting to get treatments, fighting for surgery, fighting against being bumped.

Trust me, it's not so rosy here either.  The worst is if you are high income you are paying those taxes to feed this incompetent, lazy healthcare bureaucracy and in the end they will just let you die.

There is also no preparation at the hospitals. If they have an infected patient, yes they will glove and gown but only AFTER they find out there is an infection.  No general precautions, at least as a few days ago.

It is the same in Canada. When you see relatives die while on a waiting list it will challenge your confidence in public health care. In the Canadian system it is all about fighting, fighting to get treatments, fighting for surgery, fighting against being bumped

Yeah. It isn't. In the Canadian system, it's all about getting diagnosed, going to your appointments, and getting the help you need as you need it without being bankrupted.  That said, the parking at hospitals can be pricey--like $15 a day!

It is the same in Canada. When you see relatives die while on a waiting list it will challenge your confidence in public health care. In the Canadian system it is all about fighting, fighting to get treatments, fighting for surgery, fighting against being bumped

Yeah. It isn't. In the Canadian system, it's all about getting diagnosed, going to your appointments, and getting the help you need as you need it without being bankrupted.  That said, the parking at hospitals can be pricey--like $15 a day!

"Not being bankrupted" sounds very appealing to me. So does drug prices that are a fraction of what they are across your southern border. So does aggressive testing in a province with just 5 million people for COVID-19 (BC) where you test more than the entire United States (whose CDC botched production of kits and arrogantly refused WHO issued kits).

Even as of March 4, it seems more have been tested in British Columbia than all of USA...let that sink in.

If you a scared motherfucka go to church

-Ice Cube

I have a much better idea - force some skin in the game, as Taleb would say. Force some of the head honchos to have the same exposure with the same protection that the people working in the trenches do. I‘d like the head of the CDC or Mr Pence stand in front of a bunch of wheezing untested patients without mask. No worries, the strong will survive!

The Romans would have the engineer sleep under the newly build bridge and if it didn’t hold, I guess the next bridge would be build by another engineer.  Well, some of the Roman bridges are still standing now, so that system seems to be working quite well.