What are you buying today?

LowIQinvestor

I nibbled at a little more of Altius, Eurobank, Annaly, and Sberbank. Have limit orders out on a few more names, but probably won't be hit today now that the initial panic is over.

These were all very small incremental purchases. Not convinced the worst is over yet, but am beginning to let the greed take over the fear mechanism - at least with foreign stocks that were dirt cheap to begin with.

Selling some calls on Vol, and buying more medium to long term puts on banks, health insurers, hotel operators, restaurants, airlines, junk bonds, market indexes.

Market still doesn't understand the risk of a pandemic.  Surprised the market isn't down more as this becomes more of a sure thing.

Guest eatliftinvestgolf

I bought BAC, JPM, WFC, CHTR, SCHW, and FRC.

Added AXP and a small amount of OXY.

Selling some calls on Vol, and buying more medium to long term puts on banks, health insurers, hotel operators, restaurants, airlines, junk bonds, market indexes.

Market still doesn't understand the risk of a pandemic.  Surprised the market isn't down more as this becomes more of a sure thing.

Adding more puts.  Wild that the options market is not reacting more.

It's not quite as good as reading tomorrow's newspaper today, but I can't believe people are writing options here.

BRK, BCE.TO, FTS.TO, TRP.TO, ENB, WMB, RSI.TO, WFT.TO

Still 90% cash. Today was an oil shock. Expect Coronavirus news to get much worse in the US. Expect more downside. Wild cards are what government/fed does. If they announce they will buy corporates and stocks in volume the markets will pop. Trump is very aligned with this solution :-)

Today was a tremendous buying opportunity.  This thing is worse than flu, but not by all that much.  In many ways it's not as scary as flu because children are not dying.

I thought today of searching for a largish population where everyone was tested for the virus and where healthcare access was poor.  Here it is:

"Of the 705 passengers who tested positive for the virus on the Diamond Princess, six died -- which is a death rate of less than 1%. All of the patients who died onboard were more than 70 years old."

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/early-mortality-rates-covid-19-misleading-experts/story?id=69477312

Today was a tremendous buying opportunity.  This thing is worse than flu, but not by all that much.  In many ways it's not as scary as flu because children are not dying.

I thought today of searching for a largish population where everyone was tested for the virus and where healthcare access was poor.  Here it is:

"Of the 705 passengers who tested positive for the virus on the Diamond Princess, six died -- which is a death rate of less than 1%. All of the patients who died onboard were more than 70 years old."

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/early-mortality-rates-covid-19-misleading-experts/story?id=69477312

Funny, ERICOPOLY, as you were a big influence to me the past few weeks.  When you made a bag back in the day spending $30k on options or whatever it was, you saw that the world was not what it seemed.

Italy is totally locked down.  Iran is in chaos.  China was on full lockdown and still largely is.  South Korea is doing well and testing, and will still have a brutal time.  Oil fell 25% in a day, and treasury buyers are flocking to safety.

The US is so clearly following the path of the worst hit places, that by the time we get around to quarantines our problems will be enormous.  Italy had 3 confirmed cases a few weeks ago!

Look what happened to Asian tourist locations after SARS.  This is 10x as big and still growing extremely fast.  We are just getting started.

I actually can't believe the market LACK of reaction the past few weeks.

Bought back some of my BRKB and GOOGL shares , more BWEL, FOX, PINS, starter back into DD as well as several other positions (industrials, real estate -  VNO) and even some MA (AH)

I stay clear of banks and energy related despite what looks like tremendous bargains. I hate everything where politics determines the price.

Bought back some of my BRKB and GOOGL shares , more BWEL, FOX, PINS, starter back into DD as well as several other positions (industrials, real estate -  VNO) and even some MA (AH)

I stay clear of banks and energy related despite what looks like tremendous bargains. I hate everything where politics determines the price.

Um...that’s *everything*.

Hard disagree. There are pockets of "interesting". But the most obvious ones, financials and energy, have material risk. Good stocks are still selling at a premium. Booking.com is going to see revenue freefall this year to COVID, but it outperformed the indices today. This correction is not about COVID.

What I think people are missing is that corrections are normal. Covid is not material for most companies. True. Life will return to normal in 12-18 months. But SPY was up 30% last year. The value of SPY didn't increase 30% in one year. There was enormous complacency built into valuations. Covid is just the trigger for a necessary correction.

I raised a bit of cash today. Hoping to raise a bit more tomorrow. I am still expecting a few more pockets of opportunity.