What are you buying today?

LowIQinvestor

1 hour ago, keegomaster said:

Started a position on DIS. Bob Iger's turn around is happening (improvement in FCF, ROIC), and the stock is trading at 5-yr lows. Happy to start here and build up if it keeps trailing lower.

Bob Iger is the one that got Disney into this mess, you think his arrogance will fix the melting ice cubes outside of parks?

13 hours ago, keegomaster said:

Your posts reporting on the C position build-up made me take a quick look at the fundamentals:

P/B = 0.42 (ycharts)

P/E = 6.55 (google finance)

Div yield = 5.13% (google finance)

C almost meets the definition of Peter Cundil's magic sixes: 

"They are companies trading at less than 0.6 times book value (less than 60% of book value), 6 times earnings or less, and with dividend yields of 6% or more." ("There's Always Something To Do" Christopher Risso-Gill)

I may add C to the watchilist!

Cheers!

Definitely worth reading through the thread and reading some reports and listening to Fraser…

Still yet I remain skeptical- they call it Shitibank for a reason. Nonetheless it’s so cheap it’s hard for me to ignore. 

17 minutes ago, Dinar said:

Bob Iger is the one that got Disney into this mess, you think his arrogance will fix the melting ice cubes outside of parks?

Its is interesting that one of the new ideas was to sell dump a minority stake in ESPN to a strategic investor. I guess that's not going to happen. ESPN seems to be at the core of the dispute.

Edited by Spekulatius

20 hours ago, Spekulatius said:

NXST (and other broadcasters) really get toilet flushed. Ouch.

That was a bold move.  If the Dis/Chrt dispute leads to a revamp of the cable packaging those retrans payments that make up half of their cash flow are in jeopardy.  

7 minutes ago, brobro777 said:

Bought some $600 Dec 23 NVDA calls for laffs

Like a moth to a flame, I couldn't stay away 

Hahaha chapeau! I hope next quarter will be even more ridiculous due to China buying all the GPUs, might really continue to trade up...

1 hour ago, Luca said:

Hahaha chapeau! I hope next quarter will be even more ridiculous due to China buying all the GPUs, might really continue to trade up...

Haha thanks. These NVDA calls constitute a tiny part of my portfolio and I take them because of nothing more than feelings. Like for whatever reason I feel like NVDA will continue to grind up through the end of the year. If it turns out that I'm wrong and I lose then hey, that was good laffs 

On 8/16/2023 at 12:37 PM, formthirteen said:

ATRI, TLT LEAPS 👀

👌 just sold some of my cash position in ZROZ and rolled the proceeds into March $100 calls on TLT. 

Kind of feels like we're at an inflection point. Fed still says they're hiking again, everyone has discounted a possible recession, higher for longer is the narrative, consumers still holding up, Atlanta Fed projecting 5+% GDP for Q3, just took out prior highs on 10-year rates, etc etc etc

Corporate earnings are still falling, liquidity is still being drained, small banks are hemorrhaging earnings (many down 15-25% YoY in Q2), defaults/delinquencies are starting to rise, credit is tightening, PMIs are still largely contractionary, and China is actively exporting deflation. 

I think we're going to see a pivot in the next 6 months and I think the market will sniff it out beforehand. 

I sold most of my small tobacco basket at a small loss to free up some cash because I see a lot of bargains.  Added some SWBI, NTDOY and FFXDF.

SWBI is down about 20% in the past couple of weeks and if the earnings release today is bad, it's already baked into the price. If there is any surprise on the upside, it will have been a bargain. 

NTDOY I have been adding in dribs and drabs when I get some cash, to get it up to a full position.  

FFXDF is trading at $13 and change, with a book value of $20 and growing. Even with the performance fee that they have to pay FFH this year, it will still be a good year for them.