What are you buying today?

LowIQinvestor

Perfect boring, well run company for Berkshire to buy.  Maybe someday..

Spent the last cash the other day to buy Berry Global just below 45

Today I spent about 1½ hours looking at Berry Global. It's a wonderful business, as I see it.  Very competent capital allocation and M&A integration. You'll do well with this, kab60. Somehow, the topic in the Investment Ideas forum so far has skipped my attention. [- but not any longer.]

I too was intrigued by Berry Global as have not heard of it before. It certainly looks like a stable, high turn-over business that could generate stable cash flow.  wonder if those more knowledgeable than I saw the wsj column today  https://www.wsj.com/articles/plastic-is-big-foods-next-headache-11545996593 and how or if that may affect their business?  Are they strong in the biodegradable department? and will this push more companies to say aluminum cans? would appreciate insights.

1. Bought more Brookfield Asset Management

2. Bought more Trupanion

3. Bought more of my largest position which is very thinly traded and they are buying back their own stock (I was 100% of the trading volume for the day)

4. Bought more Berkshire Hathaway

5. Bought Goldman Sachs

6. Bought more Fiat

7. Bought more Facebook

8. Bought more Amazon

Thanks for the comments re Berry. I'm sure others know the case much better than me, so input or pushback is much appreciated. There is obviously a risk in substitution, but overall plastic usage is expected to grow. Not sure how their IP stacks up, but generally increased regulation should favor the bigger players  (and possibly speed up consolidation). Their track record is outstanding, so I'd expect them to navigate choppy waters just fine (I think the biggest minus is inside ownership and their economic incentives, but so far it has worked out nicely either way).

COST. Has come down with the market, so just topping up my position. Long term quality holding.

Were you buying when it was at the same price earlier in 2018? Still doesn't look cheap to me, but I know it's never been "cheap" per se.

I wasn't. Earnings are up since then, and my net buy price (got put to on $200 written options) is still over my 25x earnings target buy price. (Although probably around 25x 2019 earnings) If it keeps declining (or stays flat as earnings continues to grow) I will buy more. This was just a nibble. I think it was more was over 30x trailing earnings in the summer.

A partial (non-rational) factor is that my income is very seasonal, so 100% of my savings capacity occurs between Oct 15-Jan 15th, so I have new cash to deploy.

I agree it's still not classically cheap.

Bought some TRUP (starter position) after the discussion with OG Investor. I am not totally comfortable with it, but I feel that I can’t let a potential very long term compounder slip away. It also helped that the stock was down a decent amount today. Added a bit of FDX. I have some high priced shares that I am probably going to sell in a month to harvest some tax losses.

Wrote BBBY FEB2019 12$ puts for 1.29$. Stock is reasonable cheap if margins stabilize on typical retailer levels (which they did the last two quarters) and these option premiums are so fat its unbelievable. This name is also very hated right now, can`t remember that last time i read so many negative comments and articles on SA.

Wrote BBBY FEB2019 12$ puts for 1.29$. Stock is reasonable cheap if margins stabilize on typical retailer levels (which they did the last two quarters) and these option premiums are so fat its unbelievable. This name is also very hated right now, can`t remember that last time i read so many negative comments and articles on SA.

You haven’t seen their stores, that’s why....It feels like it’s  dying and Toys r Us 10 years ago. I haven’t been to their stores in years, it’s totally redundant with Target and AMZN if you have prime. They were very popular in the 90’s and early 2000’s, but then slowly lost their touch.

You haven’t seen their stores, that’s why....It feels like it’s  dying and Toys r Us 10 years ago. I haven’t been to their stores in years, it’s totally redundant with Target and AMZN if you have prime. They were very popular in the 90’s and early 2000’s, but then slowly lost their touch.

How do you know that if you haven`t been there in years? :)

The financials tell a different story with stable/slighlty growing sales the past 4 years. I wouldn`t shop there either, but my wife wants to go to a similar shop every 3-4 weeks especially in the weeks before christmas. Maybe i am wrong, but i think i have the odds on my side.

Very nice option premium.