What are you buying today?

LowIQinvestor

WFC is cheap, probably caused by negative press coverage about the outage. I added some on Friday. FWIW, I could still access my accounts, but it was slow.

On WFC page, before people were complaining about not being able to access their money and overdraft fees, now they are complaining they no longer can get the “$50 customer appreciation credit” that was issued to some customers who called during the outage. Bunch of angry people hard to satisfy. Lol

Puts. Cash.

Mr. Market not paying attention.

People looking at the world like this:

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2019-02-14/retail-sales-were-puzzingly-ugly-but-don-t-panic

https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/articles/2019-02-14/subprime-auto-bond-market-unmoved-by-record-late-loan-payments

When they should be looking like this:

https://www.alhambrapartners.com/2019/02/14/retail-sales-landmine/

Christmas 2018 was worse than Christmas 2007.  December 2018 wasn't a blip--it's the opening salvo.  The smart money betting billions that rates will fall in the short term--the short term!.  Equity markets looking for any way to explain away the data, but I expect that we will see more volatility, more negative price action, and in all likelihood, a recession within the next 12 months. 

The world does not look strong:  China and emerging markets are slowing (if you even believe the data, especially coming out of China), Europe is slowing and Italian banks and Deutsche Bank looking increasingly vulnerable, Canada and Australia are seeing their property bubbles burst, asset prices are very high and priced for continued growth, corporate and consumer debt levels are very high, and central banks have lessened capacity for handling a crisis with huge balance sheets and still very low interest rates. Market participants seem to both be A) Over-estimating the likelihood of a trade deal, and B) over-estimating the positive impact that a trade deal will have. 

MF.PA - Wendel SE. [Website]. Started small/tracker position.

I haven’t seen this stock being mentioned for a long time. They go whacked very badly during the financial crisis (down more than 80% if I remember correctly) being in cyclical names back then and due to holding company leverage , but seem to have made it back. Discount to NAV north of 20%. I will take a further look, but I think I like EXor and some others better.

Spekulatius,

It's just a part of my eternal hunt for interesting stuff to study, where I'm searching for stuff on this side of the Atlantic Ocean. I think I know the European investment holding companies that I already own well enough now, after having owned them for quite some years now, to take on to expand the sphere of companies that I know about. Trackers keep my interest up, if I catch just some degree of interest. It's an eternal educational journey, and I like to do it, even if the price of the stock may not be right to me right now [here, it is so-so], because perhaps some day, it may.

I looked at Indus AG not so long ago, and passed [no tracker]. I think next will be Lifco AB and Kinnevik AB, trying to learn something new and challenging the way I do things so I don't fall totally asleep and freeze without any kind of personal movement, perhaps even progress.

It's great to have a reading/study backlog on companies.

Spekulatius,

It's just a part of my eternal hunt for interesting stuff to study, where I'm searching for stuff on this side of the Atlantic Ocean. I think I know the European investment holding companies that I already own well enough now, after having owned them for quite some years now, to take on to expand the sphere of companies that I know about. Trackers keep my interest up, if I catch just some degree of interest. It's an eternal educational journey, and I like to do it, even if the price of the stock may not be right to me right now [here, it is so-so], because perhaps some day, it may.

I looked at Indus AG not so long ago, and passed [no tracker]. I think next will be Lifco AB and Kinnevik AB, trying to learn something new and challenging the way I do things so I don't fall totally asleep and freeze without any kind of personal movement, perhaps even progress.

If our brains continually use the same neural pathways, they stagnate.

You're doing pushups with your brain  :)

A true muscle head!

Spekulatius,

FWIW, I agree on Indus AG, it’s nothing special. They do add a layer of holding company debt on top of the operating company debt, so they seem to be more leveraged than I’d like. I have owned some in the 90’s last time. At times, the stock is cheap, but it’s not particularly well managed. I do like the concept of rolling up Mittelstand companies, but haven’t seen a vehicle that does this consistently well. There are some that do seem to do it Ok with a concept of owning several independently operated companies in the same industrial sector. Dürr AG and ISRA AG come to my mind. I particularly like Dürr, but I don‘t think we are at the right time of the cycle to buy this yet.

France and Scandinavia the richest hunting ground for holding companies.

Thank you, Spekulatius,

Yes, I got scared away from INDUS Holding AG because it had "strategic considerations" about getting rid of a whole "leg" / "cluster" of subs / business unit consisting basically of vendors to the German automakers, in some way. I was surprised to read that, I did not know things were so bad right now in Germany, despite reading about Germany being recession near for the last few months. [Denmark will with certainty be hit by this in the near future, btw, because of the close German-Danish trade relations, important from a Danish perspective.]

I will take a look at Dürr AG and ISRA AG at some point in time in the near future, too. -Thank you for sharing, and a privilege to have access to such information from you because of your German background.

Thank you, Spekulatius,

Yes, I got scared away from INDUS Holding AG because it had "strategic considerations" about getting rid of a whole "leg" / "cluster" of subs / business unit consisting basically of vendors to the German automakers, in some way. I was surprised to read that, I did not know things were so bad right now in Germany, despite reading about Germany being recession near for the last few months. [Denmark will with certainty be hit by this in the near future, btw, because of the close German-Danish trade relations, important from a Danish perspective.]

I will take a look at Dürr AG and ISRA AG at some point in time in the near future, too. -Thank you for sharing, and a privilege to have access to such information from you because of your German background.

I didn’t feel that INDUS situation is dire, it‘s just that the stock was too expensive at 20x earnings and now is around fair value, but still not cheap. A shallow revision in Germany is possible. It might bring better buy opportunities. A lot of stocks in Germany were quite overvalued and have now come down to fair value and might become good values going forward. There are a lot mid cap companies in Germany that are world leaders in their niches and could be great investments in a recovery.

Added to Metro Bank (MTRO.L) - UK exchange

Hi. I've been looking a bit into that. Seems very interesting. Have you seen a decent writeup anywhere or mind to share a couple of points?

What's obvious is the deposit growth, which is incredible. The culture is based on the Commerce Bank model, that Vernon Hill "invented" in America.

The culture is real - I can tell you that. Both customers and employees love this company. You have 56 "stores" going to 100-130, roughly in 5-6 years.

The "store model" is totally repeatable - and UK will eventually support, perhaps, 200 stores.

There are structural reasons for the growth - by that I mean - the UK banking sector is being forced to shrink (I mean the legacy banks) as the

UK regulators and the public's interests have not been served. (RBS is still 65% owned by gov).  So some assets are being dispersed, the market is opening up, and

legacy branches have closed at a fast rate due to cost cutting and poor locations. So there are significant industry tailwinds for the

growth of "challenger" banks. Metro is the best of them all. It's the fastest growing bank I have ever seen in my life.

Looks like Metro Bank is blowing up. Risk weighting for mortgages off - they had  RWA for commercial mortgages at 50% rather than 100%. Did they forgot to read the manual for bank accounting in the UK? Looks doomed to me, or at least has to raise capital. On then surface, it still looks adequately capitalized, but I stay away from financials that can’t get their accounting right - a lot of them become doughnuts.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/british-lender-metro-banks-2018-072746266.html

Dumpster fire continues - cash call:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/metro-bank-slumps-shareholder-cash-081129938.html

Added to Metro Bank (MTRO.L) - UK exchange

Hi. I've been looking a bit into that. Seems very interesting. Have you seen a decent writeup anywhere or mind to share a couple of points?

What's obvious is the deposit growth, which is incredible. The culture is based on the Commerce Bank model, that Vernon Hill "invented" in America.

The culture is real - I can tell you that. Both customers and employees love this company. You have 56 "stores" going to 100-130, roughly in 5-6 years.

The "store model" is totally repeatable - and UK will eventually support, perhaps, 200 stores.

There are structural reasons for the growth - by that I mean - the UK banking sector is being forced to shrink (I mean the legacy banks) as the

UK regulators and the public's interests have not been served. (RBS is still 65% owned by gov).  So some assets are being dispersed, the market is opening up, and

legacy branches have closed at a fast rate due to cost cutting and poor locations. So there are significant industry tailwinds for the

growth of "challenger" banks. Metro is the best of them all. It's the fastest growing bank I have ever seen in my life.

Looks like Metro Bank is blowing up. Risk weighting for mortgages off - they had  RWA for commercial mortgages at 50% rather than 100%. Did they forgot to read the manual for bank accounting in the UK? Looks doomed to me, or at least has to raise capital. On then surface, it still looks adequately capitalized, but I stay away from financials that can’t get their accounting right - a lot of them become doughnuts.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/british-lender-metro-banks-2018-072746266.html

Dumpster fire continues - cash call:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/metro-bank-slumps-shareholder-cash-081129938.html

My worst investment of last year. What a lesson for me.

Buffett says you want management that is smart, energetic and honest.

And the most dangerous management is smart, energetic and lacks integrity.

Unfortunately, that is Metro Bank management. I bought it hook, line and sinker.

I hope none of you followed me in to Metro. You can not believe anything they tell you.

Metro Bank (MTRO.L) - UK exchange

My worst investment of last year. What a lesson for me.

Buffett says you want management that is smart, energetic and honest.

And the most dangerous management is smart, energetic and lacks integrity.

Unfortunately, that is Metro Bank management. I bought it hook, line and sinker.

I hope none of you followed me in to Metro. You can not believe anything they tell you.

Cubsfan,

I haven't followed Metro Bank, so I don't know the details of the story, but I'm sorry to hear of your bad outcome on Metro Bank. Hope it hasn't been too painful.

I wanted to congratulate you on your reaction. The fact that you are here discussing this bodes well for you. I hope you can make the most of whatever lessons that might be available to you from a post mortem.

You say "You can not believe anything they tell you" and "I bought it hook, line and sinker". Everyone is at risk of being taken in by psychopaths and charlatans, some more than others.

I don't know what mistakes you'll feel you made, but here are some thoughts I hope will help even if you already know all of these points. Many great investors choose not to speak to management because they don't want to be influenced. I can also think of one investor I have tremendous respect for who says that he knows his unique personality makes him vulnerable to influence and that he doesn't have a good compass in this area. With that knowledge, he takes steps to minimize influence. Doing well in the markets has to do with refining a process that fits your personality. The risk of being taken in by management is probably something that isn't discussed enough and differences in susceptibility are probably discussed even less.

Best of luck making the most of it.

RtF

Thank you Read, that is very kind of you. Investing analysis and developing keen business insights is difficult

enough - when you couple it with dishonest management - it becomes really treacherous.

Having spent years in the software business with extremely promotional management who felt there job

was to pump the stock - and be damn the investors - I should have know better.

Sometimes, you can ask all the right questions - and it just won't matter, depending on the character

of management with which you are dealing.

Seems every few years - I need to be truly humbled by the investing process - and I am.

But you are correct - learn and don't repeat, as you refine your process. Excellent advice Read.

I second what Read the footnotes stated. My impression is that Metro’s management lacked the ability ( to exactly understand the rules governing banking in the UK) and were not necessarily dishonest, but I could be wrong.

I haven’t followed this story too closely however.

Good point. I too am ignorant on the specifics. I didn't mean to impugn Metro Bank management, but to respond to Cubsfan's comments and assessments as I understood them.

Falling victim to a charlatan is the worst case scenario that we all are trying to avoid, but there are many lessor risks in evaluating manager skill and honesty.

I second what Read the footnotes stated. My impression is that Metro’s management lacked the ability ( to exactly understand the rules governing banking in the UK) and were not necessarily dishonest, but I could be wrong.

I haven’t followed this story too closely however.

Good point. I too am ignorant on the specifics. I didn't mean to impugn Metro Bank management, but to respond to Cubsfan's comments and assessments as I understood them.

Falling victim to a charlatan is the worst case scenario that we all are trying to avoid, but there are many lessor risks in evaluating manager skill and honesty.

One heuristic I developed (in a costly manner) was to always sell any financial stock that has a run in or problem with a regulator. I have several experiences with these issues and one I remember vividly was that AIG in one of their filings around September 2008 noted a disagreement about valuation with their auditor , as I recall. I thought about this for a while, my position was already in the hole at that time. I decided to sell, because I thought if their management can’t agree with their auditor about valuation of some assets, who am I to value this stock? It turned to be the correct decision. I had several other experiences like that with banks and none of them would have worked out.

It’s a bit different with Industrials or non-financials, but with financial the rule to to sell first is probably right in the vast majority of the cases.