Fairfax 2023

Xerxes

28 minutes ago, Hamburg Investor said:

But how do you get those numbers together?

- 1986 to 1990: cagr of 57.7%, a combined ratio of 106.7 and an average total return on the investment portfolio of 10.4%.

- From 2001 to 2005 the investment returns were 8.6%, the cr was 105.4%, but the cagr was minus 0.9 per cent.

There's a relationship there, but it's not perfectly clean.  That table is intended to convey the financing differential for the insurance companies.  So, the short form of that is, in approximate terms, (portfolio return% - cost (benefit) of float%)  x premiums to surplus ratio = ROE for the insurance sub.  But it's not really that clean because the cost of float is calculated on a calendar year basis rather than an accident year basis, so the skeletons in the closet appear from previous years and advance forward to future years.  What is more, for most of those years, unrealised gains did not appear in the investment returns, so much of the value that was created didn't show up until assets were disposed (sometimes 3 or 4 years later).  But, the thought process is very much the driver of value creation in an insurance sub even if the accounting metrics are imperfect.

SJ

18 minutes ago, StubbleJumper said:

There's a relationship there, but it's not perfectly clean.  That table is intended to convey the financing differential for the insurance companies.  So, the short form of that is, in approximate terms, (portfolio return% - cost (benefit) of float%)  x premiums to surplus ratio = ROE for the insurance sub.  But it's not really that clean because the cost of float is calculated on a calendar year basis rather than an accident year basis, so the skeletons in the closet appear from previous years and advance forward to future years.  What is more, for most of those years, unrealised gains did not appear in the investment returns, so much of the value that was created didn't show up until assets were disposed (sometimes 3 or 4 years later).  But, the thought process is very much the driver of value creation in an insurance sub even if the accounting metrics are imperfect.

SJ

ThNk tou for tour answer. What do you mean with „That table is intended to convey the financing differential for the insurance companies.“? Sorry for not getting that point. 

And isn‘t the formular more like portfolio return x portfolio assets + profit (loss) ratio of insurance x premiums to surplus ratio etc.?

The Portfolio returns are on all assets (so e. g. including equity and float), while the combined ratio is only linked to the premiums. Or am I wrong here?

2 hours ago, Hamburg Investor said:

I know the discussion and the theoretical frameset. I like that persoective.

But how do you get those numbers together?

- 1986 to 1990: cagr of 57.7%, a combined ratio of 106.7 and an average total return on the investment portfolio of 10.4%.

- From 2001 to 2005 the investment returns were 8.6%, the cr was 105.4%, but the cagr was minus 0.9 per cent.

So both the insurance businesses as well as the investment returns are relatively similar in both timeframes; but the cagr couldn’t differ more. 58 per cent plus to minus 1 per cent. So the relationship between the numbers shown doesn‘t get visible. 

Or look at the timeframe 1996 to 2000. Investment returns were equal, but the cr was way more bad. Still the cagr was 31 per cent better then in the years with the worse cr.

At least we’d need to know how big the investment portfolio was and the premiums and the equity. But he hasn’t added that. Why not? Without that context and other contexts (like the macro bet) that are important in some of the timeframes, I can‘t read the relationship out of the numbers.  

That would be a great framework and one would understand a lot. What does the chart alone show to you intuitively?

As he hasn’t added those numbers, I wonder why? How does the chart help without that? The numbers shown alone to me seem totally random, one (at least me) isn’t able to get to any conclusion by looking at the numbers shown about any relationship between those. There’s just nothing to understand intuitively by looking at the chart for me - so I guess, there’s something I miss.  (There are other tables and charts like e. g. the table with the insurance companies results or the table with the tech stocks, that are easy to understand).

You would have to chart a few more things to be able to answer your questions.

Just looking at per share BV growth, CR and Portfolio return doesn’t tell you enough. 

For example, you would need to know the share count at the beginning and end of the period. During some periods FFH issues lots of new shares, while other times FFH buys back shares. This impacts per share BV growth. 

Additionally you would need to chart the premiums written per share and the value of the portfolio per share. 

The amount of premiums written per share fluctuates widely depending on the underwriting environment. During soft markets FFH will reduce premium volumes to 1x BV or less. But, during hard markets FFH ramps up premium volume to 1.5x BV. So, CR needs to be viewed in relation to the amount of premiums per share during a given time period. 

Edited by Thrifty3000

I analyzed historical Fairfax investment returns and compared to what their return would have been if they invested in index funds both with CDS gains and excluding CDS gains. This is way back in 2015 and I posted this on my blog but when I moved my website to another provider, I did not move the blog and dont have it online.

I was doing this because I wanted to see if I should get back in FFH after selling it off in 2011.

Vinod

Fairfax Expected Returns Year End 2014.pdf

2 hours ago, Hamburg Investor said:

ThNk tou for tour answer. What do you mean with „That table is intended to convey the financing differential for the insurance companies.“? Sorry for not getting that point. 

And isn‘t the formular more like portfolio return x portfolio assets + profit (loss) ratio of insurance x premiums to surplus ratio etc.?

The Portfolio returns are on all assets (so e. g. including equity and float), while the combined ratio is only linked to the premiums. Or am I wrong here?

Yes, but the mental framework dates back to when sovereign debt rates were higher, so insurance companies routinely lost money on underwriting.  So, there was an investment return and a cost of float (because the CR was more than 100).  The cost of float was the cost of financing (ie, the amount you paid to use someone else's money for a year).  If your investment return exceed your cost of financing you made money, at least before admin costs.  Over the long term, your financing differential has been 4-4.5%.  This year it's been 6-ish% (94 CR) plus 5-ish% from treasury bonds, for a total of 11-ish percent....

SJ

On 12/20/2023 at 1:35 PM, SafetyinNumbers said:

It’s hard to argue it’s a big love in when the multiple is 1x BV and IFC and TSU trade closer to 2.5x BV. 

I'm certainly not suggesting FFH is overvalued. More just saying that it isn't the layup that it was, and wondering about my position size.

I think a lot of FFH investors are scarred from the last decade and are very afraid of drawdowns. There is no consideration for what could go right despite a very strong set up.

I spent most of 2010-2020 thinking exclusively about what could go right! Now that they are, it is time to start thinking about what might go wrong.

I think the odds of a 20% ROE are higher than a 10% ROE over the next 3 years and thankfully my hurdle is 10% so I’m still happy to own it even if my lofty expectations aren’t met.

I think this is an excellent framework.

Worst case for me is BV $1300 in 3 years and stock at 0.8x on low rates. Not a terrible outcome.

27 minutes ago, petec said:

I'm certainly not suggesting FFH is overvalued. More just saying that it isn't the layup that it was, and wondering about my position size.

I spent most of 2010-2020 thinking exclusively about what could go right! Now that they are, it is time to start thinking about what might go wrong.

I think this is an excellent framework.

Worst case for me is BV $1300 in 3 years and stock at 0.8x on low rates. Not a terrible outcome.

I think worst case is a super cat year comes along in the next few years and this ends up even money to down slightly if they sit at 0.8 to 1 x BV.  The bear case is 0 to 5% CAGR over 3 years - the bull case is 1.3x on a 2026 BV of $1300 - that's a CAGR of 23% over 3 years. My position size in Fairfax is 25% and I haven't sold a share yet. 

Operating income at Fairfax averaged around $40/share from 2015-2018. During this time, Fairfax was experiencing big losses from equity hedges and its new equity purchases were pretty terrible (APR, Farmers Edge, Fairfax Africa, AGT, Exco bankruptcy etc). Insurance was a tough business. Interest rates were low. Over this same timeframe, Fairfax’s stock price averaged around $525. That is what investors felt all the above was ‘worth.’ 

In 2024, operating income at Fairfax could come in around $200/share. This number is sustainable. That is 5 times higher. That is a massive increase in quality earnings. Capital allocation has been MUCH better from 2018-2023. Actually, it has been exceptional. Interest rates are much higher (even at current levels). Insurance has been in a 4 year hard market - and the business is now twice the size. Fairfax’s stock price today is $890, up a ‘whopping’ 70% from its average 2015-2018

Do people seriously think Fairfax is close to being fully valued today at $890? 

It appears we are at the ‘wall of worry’ phase with Fairfax. All the hand wringing on this board is probably a pretty bullish set up for the stock.

I keep coming back to this… the key is earnings. And what a ‘normalized’ level is for Fairfax. There is no consensus on what this number is today. IF the number is (as i suspect) $150/share then Fairfax is still crazy cheap. If correct, Fairfax should be able to grow this by 8-10% per year over the next couple of years (with volatility). And with this, we should see modest multiple expansion. With very modest assumptions it is fairly easy to get a double in Fairfax’s stock price over the next 3 to 3.5 years. How? 

1.) 2023YE BV = $925

2.) modest earnings growth each year

- 2024 = $165 (lets be conservative here).

- 2025 = $175

- 2026 = $185

3.) 2026BV = $1,450 (ignore dividends)

4.) modest multiple expansion to 1.2 x BV = $1,740 = double from current stock price. 

That would be a CAGR of 25%. Pretty good. 

What if earnings increase at more than $10/year? Likely in my view.
What if the multiple goes to more than 1.2 x BV? Also likely. 

Well, your 25% CAGR gets even better. 

What are board members currently getting most wrong about Fairfax? 
1.) what baseline earnings are today

2.) how good Fairfax is at capital allocation

3.) the impact record earnings and the magic of compounding will have on the trajectory of earnings over the next couple of years.

Edited by Viking

On 12/20/2023 at 3:46 AM, petec said:

I preferred this investment when one didn't have to count on such things - they were available for less than free.

FFH is still my biggest position by far (17%) but I am wondering how long I should keep it there.

I am counting on them to make well timed trades to take advantage of volatility and doing so only because they are likely and only to upgrade 200/year or 1000 over 4 to 5 years. Otherwise, you may still get about 160 per year without them.

I like to know what will you buy instead if you sell FFH. I cannot see any better alternative in the whole market other than a more conservative Berkshire hold.

When you got in before the recent surge, you actually did that based on a lot of optimism and that appears good in the rear view mirror. You nailed the timing. However, to buy now is more rational than it was then due to better visibility.

The biggest risk I see is regulatory if they come to squeeze the whole sector.

14 hours ago, Viking said:

around $200/share. This number is sustainable

For three years, or long term? If you mean long term, what interest rates and CR do you need to get there? Genuinely interested and you're much closer to the numbers and modelling than anyone else, so value your view.

8 hours ago, Haryana said:

However, to buy now is more rational than it was then due to better visibility.

We will have to disagree on that. One of the structural underpinnings of my investment philosophy is that the market overpays for visibility. I therefore spend my time trying to find things where things could go very right, but not very wrong, at the going-in price. That kind of optionality is often underpriced, and it strikes me as highly rational to take those bets.  

16 hours ago, Viking said:

1.) 2023YE BV = $925

2.) modest earnings growth each year

- 2024 = $165 (lets be conservative here).

- 2025 = $175

- 2026 = $185

3.) 2026BV = $1,450 (ignore dividends)

4.) modest multiple expansion to 1.2 x BV = $1,740 = double from current stock price. 

That would be a CAGR of 25%. Pretty good. 

What if earnings increase at more than $10/year? Likely in my view.
What if the multiple goes to more than 1.2 x BV? Also likely. 

Well, your 25% CAGR gets even better. 

That's a good framework for thinking about this.  My preference is to think about the pessimistic scenario (but not the catastrophic one), and then to happily accept any outcome that ends up being better than that.  I tend to give a haircut to

2025 and 2026 out of an abundance of caution, and I don't tend to get too enthusiastic about the P/BV expansion because historically the market has been reticent to grant FFH much of a premium.  What that gives me is a reasonable floor of perhaps BV of $1,300 at Christmas 2026, and no growth in valuation.  So, ignoring the divvies, that pessimistic case is ~40%+ growth in the share price over three years, which would be a perfectly acceptable return.

The moons and stars might remained aligned for the next three years to enable FFH to continue to get strong underwriting profit, the economy might not slide into a recession which will enable the operating companies to continue to get strong operating results, and the market might take a more favourable view of FFH and award it a higher P/BV as it has done occasionally in the past.  If those things happen, I'll be a happy guy.  But, I have a large enough portfolio allocation to FFH that I am unwilling to assume that current favourable conditions will persist.  At some point, I will need to be rational and trim my position, and that needs to be informed by the pessimistic scenario.

16 hours ago, Viking said:

What are board members currently getting most wrong about Fairfax? 
1.) what baseline earnings are today

2.) how good Fairfax is at capital allocation

3.) the impact record earnings and the magic of compounding will have on the trajectory of earnings over the next couple of years.

Oh, I don't think board members are generally myopic about any of that.  We know very well that FFH has remarkable earnings capacity and has had a good investment track record.  In fact, Prem published a table depicting historical outcome of this on page 20 of his letter last year, and has publicly set a goal of achieving 15% annual growth in BV on a going-forward basis.  The challenge for a long-term investor in FFH is to reflect a little about that table on page 20 and Prem's stated goal.  If you believe that FFH will routinely clear that 15% hurdle on a long-term basis, you would happily accumulate shares up to a price of perhaps 1.3x or 1.4x BV (ie, 15% growth in BV priced at 1.4x gives you a PE a shade over 9).  But, if you are like me, when you look at that table on page 20 and you squint a little, maybe what you see is something considerably lower than 15% annual growth in BV.  The long-term results could be different on a going-forward basis, but investors would be well-advised to be mindful of the long-term past results.

SJ

13 hours ago, steph said:

@Vikingthe only thing that will certainly happen in the coming years, but we don't know when, is a high catastrophe year with very bad combined ratios.   Business as usual, but it will impact your 25% compound. 

@steph there are lots of things that could happen that would impact my earnings estimates. Some are bad. Some are good. Time frame also matters: short term or long term - some things will be short term negative and long term positive (and the opposite).

A really bad year for catastrophe losses in 2024 would likely extend the current hard market - so it might be a positive looking out 2 or 3 years. If Fairfax’s stock sold off aggressively this would give the company the opportunity to buyback a meaningful amount of shares on the cheap - which would be a big positive looking out 2 or 3 years. 

Bottom line, we know all of my estimates will be wrong. What we don’t know is if they will be too high or too low - and by how much. Especially over a couple of years. And that is the fun/interesting part of investing.

Edited by Viking

13 hours ago, petec said:

Viking: 

In 2024, operating income at Fairfax could come in around $200/share. This number is sustainable.

Petec: For three years, or long term? If you mean long term, what interest rates and CR do you need to get there? Genuinely interested and you're much closer to the numbers and modelling than anyone else, so value your view.

@petec i build my forecasts from the bottom up. You can see all my assumptions for 2024 and 2025. After 2025? Looking out 3 years or more i do not have any hard numbers. But for operating income, $200/share looks to me like a reasonable baseline to use. There will be lots of important puts and takes:

- share count: will likely come down, perhaps meaningfully (i think 2% per year is meaningful if sustained over many years)

- minority interest: Fairfax will likely continue to take minority partners out

- leverage: Fairfax will likely continue to use leverage. The GIG acquisition includes a sizeable ‘promissory note’

All three of these things will meaningfully impact the $200/share number looking out 5 years (and how much accrues to Fairfax shareholders). 

- net written premiums: my guess is this will continue to grow. Even if hard market ends? Yes. How? No idea, but GIG acquisition might provide a clue.

- size of fixed income portfolio: i expect this to continue to grow. $55 billion is not a crazy number looking out 5 years (it is $41 billion today).

- dividends: Eurobank could increase this by 50% in 2024. This bucket should grow nicely each year moving forward.

- share of profit of associates: Stelco is delivering close to zero today. Guess what it will deliver in the next steel up-cycle? Earnings at Poseidon/Atlas have been a mild headwind (underperforming); my guess is this will flip to a tailwind. More holdings will likely be coming into this bucket which would be another tailwind. The Hellenic Bank acquisition should be a big tailwind for Eurobank.

Now you asked about interest rate and CR. I don’t have a strong opinion about either. Perhaps rates move lower looking out 3 years. Or perhaps interest rates move higher again (perhaps we get a resurgence in inflation in 2H 2024 or 2025), which gives Fairfax the opportunity to lock in high rates for longer in another year or two. Or perhaps we get an event that causes credit spreads to blow out (like what happened to the regional banks but on a larger scale), and Fairfax flips to higher yielding corporates.

Perhaps the hard market continues to chug along. When the hard market ends perhaps it just goes sideways for 4 or 5 years (which i think is what usually happens). Perhaps Fairfax takes a bunch of the excess capital and buys back a bunch of stock and takes out some minority partners. 

Crisis and opportunity are different sides of the same coin. And Fairfax has excelled since 2018 at exploiting this relationship. I expect this to continue… i just can’t provide any details today of what they are going to do in 3 or 4 years time. 

You said in an earlier post that you felt the increase in interest rates was the primary driver of the increase in earnings at Fairfax. I couldn’t disagree more. My view is the biggest driver of earnings at Fairfax today are the collective decisions being made by the management team at Fairfax. Their many capital allocation decisions, some going back all the way to 2014.

Fairfax’s future results (including where operating income/share goes) depends primarily on the decisions the management team has made and will make moving forward. External factors (the path of interest rates and the insurance cycle) matter, but much less. This is where Fairfax differs from most other P/C insurers.

Edited by Viking

On 12/19/2023 at 10:12 PM, Tommm50 said:

I don't believe lower CR's are driven by higher interest rates, if fact, the opposite. If an insurance company is not making income on the investment side it is forced to try to make it on the underwriting side i.e. lower CR's. I'm not sure the relationship to growth but growth is not as important as profit.

Yes all else being equal, higher interest rates should lead to higher CR because earnings from float should increase and that can compensate for higher CR’s.

Right now insurers have tailwind from both the hard market and higher investment income due to higher interest rates and I don’t think both will persist forever.

20 minutes ago, Spekulatius said:

Right now insurers have tailwind from both the hard market and higher investment income due to higher interest rates and I don’t think both will persist forever.

I don’t think you need it to because if it does, at 5x you get rich really quick.

3 hours ago, Spekulatius said:

Yes all else being equal, higher interest rates should lead to higher CR because earnings from float should increase and that can compensate for higher CR’s.

@Spekulatius i agree that we will see some tailwinds turn into headwinds in the coming years. At the same time we will see some headwinds turn into tailwinds. Insurers are in the capital management business - and the well run companies will make adjustments. Fairfax likely has more options than any other P/C insurer.

I think the relationship between CR and interest rates is way more complicated than people think. Why?

1.) there is no insurance market. There are many insurance markets. Workers comp is still in a soft market - its hard market is likely coming. Personal (auto) has been a terrible business in recent years - and it is a very large market. Reinsurance (property cat) looks to be in a hard market. This is just for the US. Each region of the world also has its own unique characteristics. All these lines and regions have their own unique insurance cycle. Sometimes they line up and other times (like now) they do not. WR Berkley talked about this on one of their conference calls this year.

2.) interest rates are not having a significant impact on investment portfolios today. The Swiss Re Institute released a comprehensive study recently and they are projecting portfolio returns to tick modestly higher in both 2023 and 2024. Most P/C insurers were not positioned like Fairfax was in 2021 - so they are not seeing a spike in interest income. If interest rates go lower in 2H 2024 most insurers will likely have missed the big move higher.

I also think the whole CR/interest rate discussion matters way less for Fairfax compared to traditional P/C insurers.

3.) For Fairfax, today only 20% of their various income streams comes from underwriting profit and 80% comes from other sources (40% from interest and dividends, 20% from share of profit of associates and 20% from mark to market equities and investment gains). Underwriting profit is a much more important income stream for traditional P/C insurers. So even if the CR at Fairfax declines slightly in the coming years (this is not a given), given its small relative size, it will likely have a small impact on Fairfax’s total earnings - the total $ decline will likely easily be absorbed by another income stream. 
4.) everyone is laser focussed on interest income today. Guess what rarely gets discussed? Equities/non-interest bearing investments. Even at Fairfax. Why? Equities have been in a bear market - pretty much everything ex the magnificent seven. This will reverse. And when it does Fairfax will likely see some big gains from its equity portfolio - likely +$2 billion in one year.

And to really blow your mind (love the Matrix movie), try and forecast these individual buckets with precision looking out 3 or 4 years. 

Edited by Viking

3 minutes ago, KPO said:

Why would they redeem 4.875% notes 8 months early only three weeks after issuing 6.0% notes? Odd. 

The issuing of debt 3 weeks ago was probably to pay back this and extend the duration 

Fairfax intends to use substantially all of the net proceeds of this offering to repay outstanding indebtedness of Fairfax or its subsidiaries with upcoming maturities and use any remainder for general corporate purposes.

5 minutes ago, juniorr said:

The issuing of debt 3 weeks ago was probably to pay back this and extend the duration 

It seems kind of strange in an environment where rates are likely to decline from here plus their credit profile should continue to improve leading to a lower premium over the risk free rate. Oh well, I guess they can’t get everything right. 

Interestingly my decision in the 1990's to invest with Prem Watsa and Fairfax was somewhat based on valuation but mostly all about reading about the people and the business.  I had Berkshire and Markel as the models of course, otherwise nothing would have made much sense or been seen as attractive for investment.

Through the years I've thought a little, but not a lot, about some of what Fairfax was doing investment wise and it wasn't something I was interested in nor thought was much of a good idea.  But I never lost faith that it would end up all being ok so I stuck around.  I do like the long tail insurance business but I don't want a whole bunch of money in it.

In the last three years I've steadily added to the position, including last week.  But for me, while I read all posted here, I'm just a believer regardless.  As I mentioned before, the fact that I got to invest in Hub (the broker) because being a shareholder made me aware of it, was such a massive jolt for me financially--- it simply makes the names Prem/Fairfax something I'm a "lifer" to hold.  Nothing but positive association in my head.  

1 hour ago, KPO said:

Why would they redeem 4.875% notes 8 months early only three weeks after issuing 6.0% notes? Odd. 

Well, you don't necessarily want to wait until the last minute.  I was a bit surprised that FFH was even able to float debt at 6% when you could instead lend money to the Government of the United States for ~5%, so in some respects, it was a good time for them to seek credit.  In fact, they probably ought to have borrowed a bit more so the holdco could improve its balances of actual cash (not the imaginary cash outlined in Note 5 of the financials).

SJ

What was the change in the value of Fairfax’s equity portfolio in Q4, 2023?

Fairfax’s equity portfolio (that I track) has a total value of about $17.5 billion at December 31, 2023. This is an increase of about $901 million (pre-tax) or 5.4% from September 30. The increase in the quarter works out to about $39/share.

Currency, which has been a headwind for the past couple of years turned into a tailwind in Q4.

Please note, I include holdings like the FFH-TRS position in the mark to market bucket and at its notional value. I also include debentures and warrants in this bucket.

To state the obvious, my tracker portfolio is not an exact match to Fairfax’s actual holdings. It also does not capture changes in the value of private holdings – which are significant. It also does not capture changes Fairfax has made to its portfolio during the quarter that are not reported. As a result, my tracker portfolio is useful only as a tool to understand the likely directional movement in Fairfax’s equity portfolio (and not the precise change).

image.png.f805b801783915aedef3466ef92175c3.png

Split of total holdings by accounting treatment

About 49% of Fairfax’s equity holdings are mark to market - this includes 'A.) Mark to Market' and 'D.) Other Holdings' - and will fluctuate each quarter with changes in equity markets. The other 51% are Associate and Consolidated holdings.

image.png.a4675dc11286af57bfbb9923d5d4aa70.png

Split of total gains by accounting treatment

The total change is an increase of $901 million = $39/share

The mark to market change is increase of $237 million = $10/share. Only changes in this bucket of holdings will show up in ‘net gains (losses) on investments’ (along with changes in the value of the fixed income portfolio) when Fairfax reports results each quarter.

image.png.39f9d125f527cb1eceacf5c354d92e4b.png

What were the big movers in the equity portfolio in Q4?

• Eurobank was up $273 million and is now Fairfax’s largest equity holding - a $2.1 billion position for Fairfax. The shares still look like they are dirt cheap, closing the year at €1.61. This holding looks primed to have another good year in 2024. 
  • The FFH-TRS was up $200 million. This position is up a total of $1.07 billion over the last 3 years, which is a gain of almost 150%. Simply an amazing investment.
  • Stelco was a strong performer, up $134 million. It will be interesting to see if we get more consolidation in the North American steel industry in 2024. 
  • Fairfax India (finally) got some love from investors in Q4 and was up $126 million. This high quality holding continues to fly under the radar of most investors. 
  • International holdings - Thomas Cook India, Quess and Commercial Industrial Bank – all had strong gains in Q4
  • Blackberry was the biggest under-performer, down $55 million. In Q4, Fairfax significantly reduced the size of its investment in Blackberry by reducing the debenture position from $365 to $150 million. The stock position is worth a total of $165 million. 

image.png.4a99aca13b14af335114cd97c658c7ab.png

Excess of fair value over carrying value (not captured in book value)

For Associate and Consolidated holdings, the excess of fair value to carrying value is about $1.0 billion or $45/share (pre-tax). Book value at Fairfax is understated by about this amount (less the tax impact). What is the split?

• Associates:       $668 million = $29/share
  • Consolidated:   $348 million = $15/share

Below is a copy of my Excel spreadsheet (next 2 pages) if you want a closer look.

Equity Tracker Spreadsheet explained:

The summary below attempts to track all equity holdings at Fairfax. Each quarter the spreadsheet is updated to capture any ‘new news:’ purchases and sales. 

We have separated holdings by accounting treatment:

• Mark to market
  • Associates – Equity accounted
  • Consolidated
  • Other Holdings (also mark to market) – derivatives (total return swaps), debentures and warrants

We come up with the value of each holding by multiplying the share price by the number of shares. Are holdings are tracked in US$, so non-US holdings have their values adjusted for currency. 

Important: the list is not complete. Some information we only get once per year when Fairfax published their annual report. Fairfax also makes changes to their portfolio each quarter. 

image.thumb.png.593b531356ced366f7cfd9d4315b69f1.png

image.thumb.png.e3bf47ff3a1f746678a3ec6494619f52.png

Fairfax Dec 31 2023.xlsx

Edited by Viking