China

Viking

8 hours ago, Parsad said:

I imagine the U.S. reception of scientists, doctors, engineers and technology experts from every part of the world is what partly has lead to the exceptionality of the U.S. in the last 100 years...from Einstein and Oppenheimer to Elon Musk and Andy Grove.

https://startalkmedia.com/20-immigrants-refugee-scientists-who-made-america-greater-part-1/

The Chinese are simply spending more money on research and development.  Diversity and racial quotas have nothing to do with it.  Higher wages, more funding for research, less red tape for development, and easier immigration would probably continue to attract more doctors, engineers, scientists and other experts.  Cheers!

Wages are higher for engineers in China than the US?  I doubt it. Maybe higher in China relative to other wages in China. 

I don't think it's just diversity,  it's relative to other career paths, say being a unionized almost anything you make the same or more than an engineer or PhD scientist.  Not just talking smack either, seen it.

North America is broken. Part of the problem is we don't want to admit it.

Edited by no_free_lunch

5 hours ago, Dinar said:

Advocates see no conflict between dei and academic excellence. “It’s hard to imagine being a good teacher if you don’t know how to actively engage all students,” says Sharon Inkelas, an associate vice-provost at Berkeley. Nor is it a matter of political belief. These statements “are descriptions of things that people have done that have enabled them to be successful in the classroom,” says Professor Inkelas. A referendum has already outlawed affirmative action in California, so state institutions cannot give preferential treatment on the basis of race or sex. A separate law bans employers from “controlling or directing” the political activities of their employees. “There is no litmus test attached to diversity statements. All that it’s asking is, ‘What are you going to be able to add to our campus? How are you going to deal with the diverse student body and faculty?’” says Erwin Chemerinsky, dean of Berkeley’s law school and a well-known First Amendment scholar. “The absence of lawsuits so far, despite threats, is an indication that the diversity statements are legal. They don’t violate the First Amendment.”

They aren't dictating on how to hire...only that applicants have furthered diversity and inclusivity when dealing with the hiring process.  In other words, give all candidates a fair shot regardless of race and gender!  Cheers!

2 hours ago, no_free_lunch said:

Wages are higher for engineers in China than the US?  I doubt it. Maybe higher in China relative to other wages in China. 

I don't think it's just diversity,  it's relative to other career paths, say being a unionized almost anything you make the same or more than an engineer or PhD scientist.  Not just talking smack either, seen it.

North America is broken. Part of the problem is we don't want to admit it.

This whole North America is broken position always makes me laugh!  Broken perhaps in how much debt the governments are carrying and not balancing their books, but in terms of innovation and economic dominance in technology...the U.S. remains as relevant as ever. 

These things run in long-term cycles.  But the U.S. free-market system always resets and powers back up.  I remember how everyone thought the Japanese would dominate the U.S. when they were buying up all the golf courses in Hawaii.  How did that turn out?

Now it's China.  I guarantee that the U.S. will reset again, and pour money into research and development in the next cycle.  Cheers! 

2 hours ago, Parsad said:

"How are you going to deal with the diverse student body and faculty?’” says Erwin Chemerinsky

They aren't dictating on how to hire...only that applicants have furthered diversity and inclusivity when dealing with the hiring process.  In other words, give all candidates a fair shot regardless of race and gender!  Cheers!

To me, it sounds like they're filtering to ensure they can hire racists. Essentially, it reads like they want to hire people who will treat people differently based on race, gender, sexuality, etc.

The best answer for society to Chemerinsky's question is, "I'm going treat diverse people as I treat everyone--fairly, with respect and kindness." But I think that's not at all the answer he wants, and wouldn't get you the job.

The first half of the 20th Century showed how deeply problematic it was treating people differently based on these innate but irrelevant characteristics, while the second half was focused on righting those injustices. The 21st century seems to be focused on the idea that race is the most important thing about a person, and you should definitely think about people differently because of their race, and treat them differently as well.

Once again, people just want to justify racism. I wish, as a species, we could get over that. Deliberately encouraging racism isn't a good way to create a diverse and compassionate society where everyone has the best chance to build their best life.

3 hours ago, Parsad said:

Furthering diversity and giving every candidate a fair shot are two very different things.The diversity angle will lead to the diversity candidate (per the institutions guidelines) getting preferred over the more capable one. Think Hispanic gay women candidate getting preferred over almost any white straight male candidate because she ticks right diversity boxes. Looks like a total racket to me.

Some colleges have jumped the shark here very far, like Yale who decided to drop out of comparison ranking for good reasons most likely.

Edited by Spekulatius

I can’t wait to see the eventual blowing up of the US collegiate/academic bubble world. It’s a racist, indoctrination driven world of excess and unaccountable creeps. It’s funded by government spending and bs student loans that make the GFC subprime stuff look tame. These folks parade around doing little actual work, many teaching a few hours a day at best and then lounging, mingling with young kids, and pursuing hobbies, while making salaries deep into the 6 figures with golden benefit packages. It’s despicable and the only thing worse is how often the good teachers simply end up average Joes because they choose not the have fun in the deviant carnival system that exists.

Do people want to get into the US? Yup. Desperately. Do lots of people want to get out of countries like China. Yup. Desperately.

Is the US perfect. No, of course not. It never has been. Go back and watch some videos from the 1960’s and 1970’s. What a mess… What about the 1920’s or 1930’s? Even worse.

Despite all the hand wringing, the US is and will be fine. It will prosper and its people will prosper. The winners and losers will change at the margin. Just like always. 

I am finding one of the great challenges of getting old is to not become that ‘crazy old uncle’. Angry. Unable to handle change.

On the diversity topic.

I know there were some Universities in the UK adverting grants only for women.  I believe it was a L’Oreal women in science scheme, promoted by the Universities.

Wonder if Gillette sponsored a men in science scheme, and only men could apply, how long it would take to make the BBC news front page.

1 hour ago, Viking said:

Do people want to get into the US? Yup. Desperately. Do lots of people want to get out of countries like China. Yup. Desperately.

Is the US perfect. No, of course not. It never has been. Go back and watch some videos from the 1960’s and 1970’s. What a mess… What about the 1920’s or 1930’s? Even worse.

Despite all the hand wringing, the US is and will be fine. It will prosper and its people will prosper. The winners and losers will change at the margin. Just like always. 

I am finding one of the great challenges of getting old is to not become that ‘crazy old uncle’. Angry. Unable to handle change.

+1

reminds me that old quote from churchil i think - Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all the others

10 hours ago, rohitc99 said:

+1

reminds me that old quote from churchil i think - Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all the others

The US will be fine, there is competition between states and colleges for once. However some colleges may ruin their reputation over time. I call out Yale as the Ivy league University that is most likely to do so. I think a College like University of Chicago may run circles around them in ten years.

2 hours ago, Spekulatius said:

The US will be fine, there is competition between states and colleges for once. However some colleges may ruin their reputation over time. I call out Yale as the Ivy league University that is most likely to do so. I think a College like University of Chicago may run circles around them in ten years.

I agree.  As a Yale alum, it pains me to admit it.  Funny, I was accepted to U Chicago as well, and I remember their core curriculum being a strong draw.  Oh well.

21 hours ago, Viking said:

+1!  Cheers!

7 hours ago, Spekulatius said:

This guy is an idiot. The writing has been on the wall for awhile starting with required "social contributions" by tech companies & the disappearance of Jack Ma a couple of years back. 

46 minutes ago, Munger_Disciple said:

This guy is an idiot. The writing has been on the wall for awhile starting with required "social contributions" by tech companies & the disappearance of Jack Ma a couple of years back. 

I have zero sympathy for Jack Ma, btw. He's very smart and creative. He's a Elon Musk type of guy. But this guy tried to steal Alipay from shareholders for himself. He has ethic problem. He's lucky CCP didn't put him into jail.

40 minutes ago, sleepydragon said:

I have zero sympathy for Jack Ma, btw. He's very smart and creative. He's a Elon Musk type of guy. But this guy tried to steal Alipay from shareholders for himself. He has ethic problem. He's lucky CCP didn't put him into jail.

That's not the point. Mobius should have seen the writing on the CCP wall and get the hell out of there at least a couple of years back. Now he is going to get what her deserves, which is nothing. 

1 hour ago, sleepydragon said:

He did not try, he actually did as far as I know.  

28 minutes ago, Munger_Disciple said:

That's not the point. Mobius should have seen the writing on the CCP wall and get the hell out of there at least a couple of years back. Now he is going to get what her deserves, which is nothing. 

Lots of Chinese trying to move USD out of China nowadays. So they need to do restrict that otherwise they will run out of USDs. It's not much different from Blackstone restricting clients withdrawing from their real estate funds 🤪

1 minute ago, sleepydragon said:

Lots of Chinese trying to move USD out of China nowadays. So they need to do restrict that otherwise they will run out of USDs. It's not much different from Blackstone restricting clients withdrawing from their real estate funds 🤪

Actually, it was never that easy to get money out of China even years ago. I know this, the company I worked for years ago had the issue talking to an accountant I knew. You had to apply at some sort of government authority who would be take their sweet time. There was possibly some corruption involved to grease some wheels as well, The Chinese Yuan is not a freely convertible currency either.

On 3/4/2023 at 6:23 PM, Gregmal said:

I can’t wait to see the eventual blowing up of the US collegiate/academic bubble world. It’s a racist, indoctrination driven world of excess and unaccountable creeps. It’s funded by government spending and bs student loans that make the GFC subprime stuff look tame. These folks parade around doing little actual work, many teaching a few hours a day at best and then lounging, mingling with young kids, and pursuing hobbies, while making salaries deep into the 6 figures with golden benefit packages. It’s despicable and the only thing worse is how often the good teachers simply end up average Joes because they choose not the have fun in the deviant carnival system that exists.

A+

On 3/5/2023 at 1:23 AM, Gregmal said:

Have a look at all the fraudulent research, replication crisis, shit research in neuroimaging...

On 3/4/2023 at 8:27 PM, Sweet said:

Wonder if Gillette sponsored a men in science scheme, and only men could apply, how long it would take to make the BBC news front page.

Gillette is more likely to sponsor women in science, to fight toxic masculinity: 

On 3/4/2023 at 9:20 PM, rohitc99 said:

+1

Exactly.  The US is the absolute worst country, except for all the others.  I can go on for hours about what is wrong with the US, but I'm still here and not going anywhere else.  You can pick and choose within the US as well which is one of its great advantages.  Living in NH, FL, or TX is much different from living in MA, CA, NY, or NJ.     Unless you are taking a STEM program, college is mostly BS anyway. What we need is a school that removes all the humanities/liberal arts crap from the curriculum and prepares someone to become an engineer in 3 years rather than 4.