Leaving New York City

Cardboard

Conservative is a liberal mugged by reality.  You are right of course, but may be things will change, (Murphy came close to losing in NJ and Hochul in NY), and you are paying nothing for the option.  As for Weisselberg, unless I am mistaken, pretty much every university does things he was accused of.  

https://news.yahoo.com/eric-adams-defends-wealthy-yorkers-185822963.html

And: https://www.wsj.com/articles/californians-arent-the-only-tax-refugees-newsom-net-migration-negative-outflows-vote-feet-florida-11673447921?mod=hp_opin_pos_6

The 10 states with the lowest taxes gained an average of 948 per 100,000 total population. For states that ranked 11th through 20th on taxes, the average was 457. For states ranking 21st to 30th, the gain was only 97. Net domestic migration turned negative for states ranking 31st to 40th with a loss of 141. And for the 10 states with the highest taxes, the average loss was 809 per 100,000.

Edited by UK

• 4 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, fareastwarriors said:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-02-08/nyc-wealth-exodus-drives-billionaire-s-bet-on-south-florida-boom?sref=MTy2GeXk

Its crazy to me how many of my NY friends are so invested in fighting the melting ice cube situation. Like its personal or something. No, its not cyclical this time...unless something major policy wise changes. No, your restaurants are not special anymore...the chefs are moving to South Florida too. No the chicks aint hotter either, especially in January....Its as clear an investment theme as you'll ever see. Embrace it and make money. 

This past week Ive been in Florida and you see Super Bowl Party ads and signs everywhere. Meanwhile my phone keeps getting texts from NJ government about "make sure you get your covid booster for the big game"...its just stunning how different things are in the two areas and how oblivious the NY/NJ/CT region is to whats happening simply due to a bizarre and arrogant superiority complex. 

One thing that’s kind of dawned on me too, evaluating things the past couple years as a parent, is how a lot of that-parenting- element has changed too. I was always blown away as a teenager and early 20 something how in Florida, us northerners were so much quicker and street savvy. Sharp I guess you could call it. Like you’d go down there and just notice how peers were slower. Maybe it is the way of life, idk and I never really understood it, but presumably it was cultural. Even the year I spent there for college, locals were amazed that I was from “the city”. Which I always thought was weird bc living 10 miles from heart of NYC my whole life it was just a normal place….but they did that with my siblings and other folks I knew from up north noticed the same sort of thing. I guess comparable to the way people from Nebraska think of Disneyland. Oh wow that’s crazy it must be awesome living near Disney. Whereas when you actually do live there, you don’t think anything of it. 

Nowadays though, spending lots of time in both places. It’s changed. The kids up north are soft. They’re not well rounded. They’re confused. Which is ultimately the point I came to when looking at where I want my kids going to school. Private schools in Florida have wait lists out years, more being built, and at least the area where I’m headed, vocational schools specifically for math, science and engineering. In NJ, they fight over bathrooms and give litter boxes to kids who show up to school claiming to be cats. 

32 minutes ago, Dinar said:

@Gregmal, are you headed to the ST Joe area?  Why do you prefer that to say Boca Raton?  Thank you.

We originally wanted to be in that area. My best friend lives in Wellington and works in Palm Beach. But even there, it’s too much of a pocket area. Few miles one way or another and you leave the gated communities and you’re at a payday lender or pawn shop. Ran into the same thing with St John’s which is gorgeous and was also a candidate.

I also have a preference for the more moderate weather. South Florida is horrible with the heat from May-September. So we ended up in Rosemary Beach or whatever it’s called(they change it a lot since it’s unincorporated). South Walton school system. Schools like this.

https://www.seasideschools.net/#calendar1390/20230209/month

Go there and eat at Amici or something on a Tuesday night in December. Look around. You ll see what I mean. St Joe and the other wealthy communities plus state conservative land and parks basically prevent encroachment. It’s one of the few places I can say I have a very high degree of confidence in assuming that it will not change for the worse over the timespan in which my kids grow up.

https://sowal.com/event/seaside-school-race-expo-silent-auction

Edited by Gregmal

12 minutes ago, cubsfan said:

^^ Maybe you meant Santa Rosa Beach?   Didn't know about that school - nice.

Ft Walton Beach isn't too far, and that's a great little town too. 

Yea Santa Rosa is the general area, but to me that’s more west. Like out by the Walmart and stuff. Seaside is kinda in between Watercolor and Watersound and east of that is Rosemary which is also synonymous with Inlet Beach which on GPS also sometimes shows up as PCB. You’ll have 3 different addresses for 3 houses on the same block lol. School system is simple, it’s just South Walton.

Easiest otherwise is just to use zip 32461

Edited by Gregmal

Nothing beats fresh air, a modern restoration of a farm house or georgian colonial and a small community town.

Former NYC. Now living in the woods, in a nice home fully modern with a couple acres. I enjoy bourbon, guns and listening to music by my fire pit and watching fog roll by. Dogs seem to enjoy it too, no complaints. Lots of turkeys to chase. Groundhog wars in the summer. Can't say I imagined this a few years ago when I was all about the city.

Now you'd have to take me hostage to go anywhere near a population center. 

• 2 months later...

Yup. Walmart shutting stores in Chicago as well. Wonder where they’re opening them. I’m younger, but never thought I would see the day where safety was controversial. Look at this shit…..how was this guy on the streets????

https://nypost.com/2023/04/11/gunman-nabbed-in-cold-blooded-nyc-smoke-shop-slay-another-deadly-weekend-shooting-cops/amp/

5 minutes ago, Gregmal said:

Yup. Walmart shutting stores in Chicago as well. Wonder where they’re opening them. I’m younger, but never thought I would see the day where safety was controversial. Look at this shit…..how was this guy on the streets????

https://nypost.com/2023/04/11/gunman-nabbed-in-cold-blooded-nyc-smoke-shop-slay-another-deadly-weekend-shooting-cops/amp/

Scumbag.  Plenty of them everywhere.

The fuckin guy shot at cops and was released lol. Thats like whole different level beyond comprehension. You wanna drive away retailers because you refuse to prosecute petty theft…whatever. Letting people run around with guns and even shoot them and just be like yea go home but make sure you show up for trial in two years???? They’re getting everything they deserve in these states.

2 minutes ago, mcliu said:

How did it get to this point in the US? Isn't democracy supposed to self-correct and people with ideologies that don't work get voted out?

40 years of brainwashing by schools, universities, newspapers, Hollywood.  Heck, look at Sam Bankman Fried - his mother, a law professor at Stanford, wrote an article a decade ago basically  saying that personal responsibility is an absurd concept and there should be no responsibility/punishment for crimes

Edited by Dinar

20 minutes ago, mcliu said:

How did it get to this point in the US? Isn't democracy supposed to self-correct and people with ideologies that don't work get voted out?

Gerrymandering combined with politics becoming a team sport. All the actors clinging to power have to toe the line or they risk being primaried. Leads to a fly wheel of political polarization. 

Let’s keep in mind that even with all the crime in CA, the homicide idea rate in Nashville for example is ~2x the homicide rate in SF. Both cities are of comparable size- SF has 815k people and 56 homicides. Nashville 693K residents and 102 homicides or roughly 2 x the rate. Thats with all the increase in homicides in SF last year. Memphis TN, is worse than Nashville even.

Just one example where you have to be a bit careful with the narratives. The increase in crime in SF is very real, but it’s still much safer than Nashville, or the popular Miami (440k people ~50 homicides).

4 hours ago, mcliu said:

Common sense would dictate that those against gun control would get voted out.  Here they are in power.  But like the debate between universal/private healthcare in Canada, gun control discussion in the U.S. is a non-starter.

You would also think that those against tougher criminal charges and prosecution would get voted out, but nope they stay in power as well, creating leniency in the court system which allows scumbags like the guy above to roam the streets instead of rotting in jail.

Cheers! 

3 hours ago, Spekulatius said:

Let’s keep in mind that even with all the crime in CA, the homicide idea rate in Nashville for example is ~2x the homicide rate in SF. Both cities are of comparable size- SF has 815k people and 56 homicides. Nashville 693K residents and 102 homicides or roughly 2 x the rate. Thats with all the increase in homicides in SF last year. Memphis TN, is worse than Nashville even.

Just one example where you have to be a bit careful with the narratives. The increase in crime in SF is very real, but it’s still much safer than Nashville, or the popular Miami (440k people ~50 homicides).

Isn't that kind of like saying..."hey things are bad, but they could be worse!"  Not words we all want to live by.  Cheers!

4 hours ago, Parsad said:

Common sense would dictate that those against gun control would get voted out.  Here they are in power.  But like the debate between universal/private healthcare in Canada, gun control discussion in the U.S. is a non-starter.

You would also think that those against tougher criminal charges and prosecution would get voted out, but nope they stay in power as well, creating leniency in the court system which allows scumbags like the guy above to roam the streets instead of rotting in jail.

Cheers! 

Lots of other countries have widespread gun ownership, but something about mass shootings, and murder rates in the USA that is sort of unique to Western countries.

Plenty of other countries with much higher murder rates than the US, but normally countries run by gangs.

I understand the pro-gun side, why should responsible owners give up their guns.  But I also think that if they are to keep their guns some sensible restrictions are going to be necessary.  Nobody with priors for serious crimes, or someone with certain types of mental illness, should ever own a gun.

There is bound to be some laws that a large majority can get behind.

Edited by Sweet

Most of the narrative is set at the top. It’s not just crime…there’s crime everywhere, it’s how you handle it. Memphis is a dump. Atlanta has crime up to wazoo. But nobody brandishes these things like NY/Chicago and SF. The politicians boast about being soft on crime. You regularly see folks getting absolutely nothing for things that should warrant prison sentences. What did we think would happen when we said “only criminals can get business licenses to open a pot shop”??? We really wonder why there’s this sort of stuff happening? When guys with 3 dozen monthly offenses keep being allowed in the subways….

Plenty of places have, and have always had crime problems. Miami in the 80s was the king of crime. Some make efforts to deal with it. Some, like say Buckhead in Atlanta take matters into their own hands. The problem for NYC is they treat their cops like shit. Embolden criminals. And then brag about it. It’s basically Disney for lowlifes. 

Now I’m really sounding old, but when I was a kid if you got caught with a gun, registered or not, out in public, in NY….you were going to jail. Plain and simple. If it was unregistered…you’re doing like 5-10 years. Now you’re home for dinner and don’t have to worry about court for years.

Edited by Gregmal