How old are you?

rkbabang
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

38 was fortunate to have started working in 08 and putting everything i could into the market since then plus increasing salary.

Salary has probably peaked for me this year but not too bothered as I am about 3-5 years out from my target which is 2pct of my investment portfolio covering all expenses 

13 hours ago, Gregmal said:

36. Every year I feel as though I am peaking, but continue to surprise myself. But life definitely is starting to sneak up on me. Guess it’s the mid life phase. Probably lived half my life already. Almost certainly lived my best overall years. Even my oldest son, nearly 7 now, I look at and it’s like “fuck, he s growing up”. See my parents starting to resemble old people which is weird. My friends and I complain about achy backs, knees, shoulders…old people shit lol. Start getting tired earlier in the evening than I used to in my 20s. So idk, but it’s indeed been part of my pivot over the last couple years to a less consuming investment style and more durable approach to allocating capital. Gotta enjoy what you have and make the most of it all. It’s great when money becomes a less integral part of that equation. 

Greg [ @Gregmal ],

That comment about *... old people shit lol* is still  hurting a lot! 😅 - It simply sucks dearly getting old!

I'm 43 now.  Been doing this (investing for a living) for 23 years now.  We've basically stopped doing any construction / development, so I hope I don't get fat because of that.  My hair is white but I still feel in pretty good shape.  I probably drink too much but I do enjoy it LOL...  On one side of my family (Father's), all the men died in their 50's.  On the other side, the men all lived to over 100.  Not sure what to expect!

1 hour ago, gfp said:

I'm 43 now.  Been doing this (investing for a living) for 23 years now.  We've basically stopped doing any construction / development, so I hope I don't get fat because of that.  My hair is white but I still feel in pretty good shape.  I probably drink too much but I do enjoy it LOL...  On one side of my family (Father's), all the men died in their 50's.  On the other side, the men all lived to over 100.  Not sure what to expect!

Long live the knowledgable numbers nailer of the North Shore.

30 minutes ago, DooDiligence said:

Long live the knowledgable numbers nailer of the North Shore.

Well I appreciate the sentiment but we live in the City not the north shore.  Sometimes I wish we didn't live in the city, but we'll see...

9 hours ago, Ulti said:

Stretching ,foam roller .some type of lacrosse ball

I also recommend slightly random rocks from the garden. They work better than a lacrosse ball for me. You can also stretch while standing on them. Take them inside if you have a place to put them 🤓

7 minutes ago, formthirteen said:

I also recommend slightly random rocks from the garden. They work better than a lacrosse ball for me. You can also stretch while standing on them. Take them inside if you have a place to put them 🤓

Chirp Wheel, corkball (similar to lacrosse ball but can carry backpacking) and Theragun <--- game changer 

60 this Fall.

At present there is absolutely no solid evidence that strength training—or any other exercise or dietary program—will substantially prolong our life spans. But the preponderance of the scientific evidence, flawed as it is, strongly indicates that we can change the trajectory of decline. We can recover functional years that would otherwise have been lost.

There is much talk in the aging studies community about “compression of morbidity,” a shortening of the dysfunctional phase of the death process. Instead of slowly getting weaker and sicker and circling the drain in a protracted, painful descent that can take hellish years or even decades, we can squeeze our dying into a tiny sliver of our life cycle.

Instead of slowly dwindling into an atrophic puddle of sick fat, our death can be like a failed last rep at the end of a final set of heavy squats. We 
can remain strong and vital well into our last years, before succumbing rapidly to whatever kills us. Strong to the end.

https://startingstrength.com/article/barbell_training_is_big_medicine

https://www.amazon.com/Barbell-Prescription-Strength-Training-After/dp/0982522770/

19 minutes ago, james22 said:

60 this Fall.

At present there is absolutely no solid evidence that strength training—or any other exercise or dietary program—will substantially prolong our life spans. But the preponderance of the scientific evidence, flawed as it is, strongly indicates that we can change the trajectory of decline. We can recover functional years that would otherwise have been lost.

There is much talk in the aging studies community about “compression of morbidity,” a shortening of the dysfunctional phase of the death process. Instead of slowly getting weaker and sicker and circling the drain in a protracted, painful descent that can take hellish years or even decades, we can squeeze our dying into a tiny sliver of our life cycle.

Instead of slowly dwindling into an atrophic puddle of sick fat, our death can be like a failed last rep at the end of a final set of heavy squats. We 
can remain strong and vital well into our last years, before succumbing rapidly to whatever kills us. Strong to the end.

https://www.amazon.com/Barbell-Prescription-Strength-Training-After/dp/0982522770/

Right on!

Ran 10 Km on Saturday, 14 Km or so on Sunday, 14 Km run today

today at office, I had had two small coffees, 8 McNuggets and little cup of yoghurt from early morning till 7 pm, when I started my 14 Km run.  

I think it will be casual cycling tomorrow while listening to podcast.

Wednesday will be another 10 Km (but going uphill). Will go easy on Thursday before re-starting Friday with another run. 

i don’t do 50-60 Km every week. There are weeks that it goes down 30-40 non-intense. It is really function of weather, rain, sun and smog. 

i use to do CrossFit before Covid. It would be nice to get back into it and do weights. 

I love the Adirondacks in the US. 

2 hours ago, james22 said:

60 this Fall.

Additionally to physical conditioning, must not forget:

1. Always developing a sense of purpose.

2. Mental challenge/ problem solving.

Farmers are some of the longest and well lived people I've met. Assuming they didn't smoke or drink excessively. 

Well, I'll be 54 in July.  In the prime of physical shape, Tom Cruise can't hold a candle to me.  My wife Margot woke up last night and told me she had the best sex ever...Margot Robbie that is.  My helicopter was fueled and ready to whisk me away to work...of course, after I worked out for 3 hours and had muesli, yogurt and a protein smoothie.

At work, I was managing $4B in between shooting a movie for Netflix and a documentary for Amazon.  At 1pm, I went to lunch at one of the best restaurants in Vancouver and then a quick jog around Coal Harbour.  Went home around 4pm where Margot and the kids were waiting for me.  Our chef had prepared a wonderful meal and then I had a glass of Bordeaux as the kids told me how much they loved me and Margot wanted a repeat of last night!  What a day!

Ok...now imagine the opposite of everything except me being 54 and you've got the truth!  Life sucks!  Pppppphhhhhtttttt!  Where the hell is my Margot?

Cheers! 

• Haha 1

51...still playing basketball at least once a week.  Bike rides, stairs, and push ups fill out the rest of the activity schedule.  Personal rule: have to get a workout in in order to have beer that day.   And I love beer.  

4 hours ago, ICUMD said:

Additionally to physical conditioning, must not forget:

1. Always developing a sense of purpose.

2. Mental challenge/ problem solving.

Farmers are some of the longest and well lived people I've met. Assuming they didn't smoke or drink excessively. 

It's important to develop a healthy relationship with your vices.

Edited by DooDiligence

22 hours ago, gfp said:

I'm already a few years older than my maternal grandfather was when he died.  My father's dad lived to 90 though and he was overweight, drank every day from morning until night (literally had his first beer for breakfast) and chain smoked unfiltered cigarettes' his whole life.   I'm thinking he was probably meant to live to 100, but killed himself early.

On 6/19/2023 at 11:29 AM, gfp said:

I'm 48 and feel this post.  Lost my father at the age of 71 last July.  His siblings didn't make it out of their 50's.  Figure if I have 15-20 good years left in me I'm going hard for those.  I enjoy beer, good music and travel.  House and yard provide enough work and exercise.  Would love to play soccer more, but knee's and back won't allow me to play at the level I'm used to.  So now I play a little golf here and there.  

Investments are in a good place.  I continually learn and tweak the process and the endline.  It's amazing how fast time goes and how quickly investments snowball.

I've learned in my old age not to be overly competitive and not to take myself too seriously.  Main goal is enjoying life and experiences now.

Cheers my CoBF brethren!