what are you selling today?

muscleman

Sold half of my remaining Wells Fargo today  :-\

I still think Wells is one of the cheaper stocks available today...

It wasn't an easy decision, but we're up to 8x pre-tax pre-provision profit now. I'm trying to buy a small community bank at less than 5x in its stead.

Hi rpadebet - Agree that it's pretty cheap, but I enter most of my positions via puts.  Also, I sell puts monthly on stocks that I feel are undervalued, not always with the hope that they are assigned.  If they're assigned I sell calls on them until they're called away.

Thanks 

Quick glance, less than 60 seconds, CTCM looks interesting.

Kraven, So  that I do my part to be timely, if I have time this evening to do more research and I like CTCM, I will write some 10-strike puts tomorrow! So you can front run me if you like.

Lance, We have similar, maybe identical, strategies! Thanks for bringing CTCM to my attention.

i sold my pharmstandard Holding today. Holding it for two months. 37% yield.

now buying more hyundai preffered and Samsung preffered.

Phil - if you don't mind my asking - what broker do you use to buy the Korean stocks given the difficulty for retail investors to get them?

And are there special restrictions in buying them?

thanks

i sold my pharmstandard Holding today. Holding it for two months. 37% yield.

now buying more hyundai preffered and Samsung preffered.

Phil - if you don't mind my asking - what broker do you use to buy the Korean stocks given the difficulty for retail investors to get them?

And are there special restrictions in buying them?

thanks

cubsfan iam buying on german ING. i can only buy Samsung preffered and hyundai preffered. These are the only two i can buy. there are no restrictions because they are gdr Shares. they are Imitate a half of a preffered share.

cheers  :)

It's a good point Kraven.

I am going to use that as an opportunity to put in a pre-emptive sell order on the SPY ETF.  I am 100% short the index when the transaction occurs.

NOTE: As this is a pre-emptive order, the transaction is subject to certain conditions being met.  Specifically the SPY must decrease in value by more than 1% by tomorrow's close.  Failing that condition I revoke my pre-emptive order.

:P

Looks like today is your day! I am a shameless cloner, copied you and shorted the day highs :D.

• 2 weeks later...

I sold my SSE shares. I received them from CHK spin off and didn't like the valuation and leverage.

Note that this thread is mainly for closing long position. Either cutting losses and explaining what is the lesson or taking a profit.

I sold my SSE shares. I received them from CHK spin off and didn't like the valuation and leverage.

Note that this thread is mainly for closing long position. Either cutting losses and explaining what is the lesson or taking a profit.

muscleman, got it.  Is there a thread for listing shorts?

Thanks,

Lance

muscleman, got it.  Is there a thread for listing shorts?

Thanks,

Lance

There's not. You are welcome to list shorts here, but since these shorts are not discussed in the investment ideas section, it will be best if you could give a brief outline of why you took the short at this point..

I have taken a short position in Save the World (ticker: ZERO, extremely ironic). Even if you won't join the bandwagon, the company's 10ks are a fun read. This company has been a serial share issuance machine with the result that the company's market cap has ballooned to almost $150mln. The company has pulled a new rabbit out of its head, everytime the market was willing to give up on the company. Currently, the company tries to tell its AOT Technology as a groundbreaking technology, but I am fairly certain that TransCanada that currently has a temporary trial lease won't renew the contract, nor that a lot of other oil companies will follow. The current market cap, assuming no further dilution, assumes a sustainable earnings stream of $10mln, which will never materialize. I think that the end of Transcanada's lease could be the catalyst, combined with the lack of further partnerships, that could help the stock to go to zero eventually.

• 2 weeks later...

Mostly ETFs and funds (dividend funds and etfs, infrastructure ETFs, etc.), but also a wide range of speculative and investment grade positions.  Keeping companies like BRK, FFH, MKL, GLRE, OCX, KSU, COS, FMNA, FRMO but have been selling a wide range of other positions.

So basically, I've been raising cash across the board - AGAIN.  Last year I apparently erred as, for well over a year now, I've felt the market was overvalued and at risk of a substantial decline, so by mid-May 2013 I had substantially raised my cash levels which was fortunate timing in the very short-term but the market decline was very minor and I then missed the fall rally. >:( Hating holding cash and knowing I can't really time the market,  :) I couldn't stand it any longer and bought back into the market late in the year and into the first half of 2014.  I still feel that the market is highly vulnerable and am basically trying to time a 5-7 year business cycle market top. That said, I've been returning to much more comfortable cash levels by taking modest profits across the board.

Note: In the past held decade/two decade long positions and only went largely to cash in 2008.  In 2009 I jumped back into the market big time.  Then took profits until the crisis in the fall of 2011 and again jumped back in in the downgrade crisis. So I don't think I'm so much as a market timer as an opportunist in these volatile times. I think the 2008/2009 crash was pretty much a once in a lifetime opportunity and don't expect a reoccurrence. Right now with many somewhat reliable market ratios at record highs (Hussman goes on ad nauseam about them), many guru investors now raising cash, Buffett not buying much if anything, and screens like AAII's Shadow Market portfolio finding zero small caps passing its criteria (beyond its current holdings), indicate to me that market risk is higher than normal if not unusually high, and so I'm selling market/index investments and a few others to boot.  Rule number one - don't lose money. ...And this market has been driven so much by intervention and subsidization and not free market fundamentals that I feel uncomfortable about prospective returns at these levels (in North America).

• 3 weeks later...

I sold a bit more of my Ceapro (CZO).  I've owned it and accumulated it on and off over more than a decade and tt's finally doing fairly well but I'm paring back everything I own except BRK, FFH and a few "keepers" to raise my cash levels.  (Market timing.) 

I have been selling off a number of index ETFs over the past few weeks too (some of which I just picked up a few months back).

• 2 months later...